Installing operating systems across 2 hard disks

jeetender

Recruit
Two years back my hard disk got crashed. I got it replaced and put the OS again. Now i have installed another hard disk in my pc. i want to know is it possible to put another os in 2nd hard disk. so in case first one gets crashed so i can switch to second one. I am also having installed LINEX in second one. Kindly suggest the procedure and possibility.

Yes, it's possible and I have done that. However, I avoid the dual boot setup.

What I do is, when I install the OS on second hard drive, I disconnect the first hard drive, so that it's not detected by the other OS. So, dual setup is avoided.

After the OS is installed, I connect both hard drives.

To select which OS to boot, I just change the hard drive to boot from, in the BIOS.

INSTALL LINUX ON THE FIRST HDD AND WINDOWS IN THE SECOND HDD , SELECT GRUB AS THE LOADER . START YOUR PC THEN YOU WILL SEE LINUX AS THE DEFAULT OS , BELOW THAT WILL BE AN OPTION OF OTHER OS , SELECT THAT AND YOU WILL LAND UP WITH WINDOWS , THE REVERSE IS ALSO POSSIBLE AND MAKE THE CORRECT FILE SYSTEM TYPES.

^ There is no need to shout.

For the OP - there are 2 possibilities

First, If you want to ensure that in the event of one HDD crashing, your data is safe on HDD2 - This is possible by 2 means, either use software RAID onboard your motherboard, else use dynamic disks and make mirrors. This ensures that if your OS or even one HDD goes kaput, you can safeguard your data. This is equivalent to RAID1.

Second - you are no IT pro, and might have Windows crashing or not booting, and you dont want to wait for the support technician to come. In such case, you can have a second OS or copy of Windows installed, so that no time is lost. Again, this can be done in 2 ways, with the boot loader on the first HDD or both disks are independent. With the first method, if the MBR gets corrupt, then you still wont be able to boot, so I would recommend option 2.

Now, its upto you to decide course of action!

Back