Car & Bike Indian Cabs Services Feedback Thread (Uber,Ola,Meru Etc)

Also uber/ola are thriving just because there exists a need. That need is to avail transport with comfort, convenience and less money than autos/buses offer.
There is a difference between a need and a want. Need is something we really, really need but a want is just good to have but not required. Affordable transport in form of buses and metros was always there. What wasn't there was the comfort. Then again comfort always comes with a price. Comfortable online shopping with coupons on sites has already seen many companies disappear in India. The unfortunate fact is affordable comfort which makes a lot of profit is hard to achieve.

What is the use if Uber complies with California laws where as it operates in India?

I cannot understand your theory. Please throw some light on this.

I am comfortable with Uber or Ola as they are 100 times better than Autos or normal taxis.

We need to see that the services rendered are cheap or not. That's all.
Uber is known to skirt laws blatantly since its inception. But as its maturing and as countries are becoming more and more strict, its begining to comply with laws

There are other laws Uber/ola have broken and it is not only about unions. There are other things like vehicle registration, personnel checks, income from vehicles etc. Sure the law has many flaws as it is old and has inefficiency. But believing that these companies, in the app world, will not try to change laws which favor them is foolhardy. It is not going to help people but themselves. But we seem to be blinded by our comfort that we think these companies are for the betterment of mankind.
No one has any doubt that Uber is only waiting for driverless cars to take off so that they just chuck these drivers out of cabs and then start making money. The amount of money they spent lobbying in US is not a secret. No one believes Uber/ola are for human betterment.

Laws are shit and uber is using loopholes to operate. Let countries change laws. For example, in india bangalore recently changed laws and made ride sharing illegal and uber stopped them.

There is a difference between a need and a want. Need is something we really, really need but a want is just good to have but not required. Affordable transport in form of buses and metros was always there. What wasn't there was the comfort. Then again comfort always comes with a price. Comfortable online shopping with coupons on sites has already seen many companies disappear in India. The unfortunate fact is affordable comfort which makes a lot of profit is hard to achieve.
You clearly don't see scores of people waiting for few buses daily morning and evening everyday. These buses are late, unsafe, crowded without space to stand and you see students hanging out of buses' footrests. Not comfort but I do believe people should get the "comfort" of safe affordable transport. My friend went to singapore recently and the buses he showed awed me. they were spacious, comfortable and on time. If thats the case in india, I see many people would ditch their cars and use public buses. But no.

There is a NEED for comfortable affordable transport systems in India which is not being met by public buses, metros and autos. Metros work fine for few areas in city but not for whole city.

No one has any doubt that Uber is only waiting for driverless cars to take off so that they just chuck these drivers out of cabs and then start making money. The amount of money they spent lobbying in US is not a secret. No one believes Uber/ola are for human betterment.

Laws are shit and uber is using loopholes to operate. Let countries change laws. For example, in india bangalore recently changed laws and made ride sharing illegal and uber stopped them.
Its not that the laws have loopholes rather Uber has been blatant about it. There is a long list of places they have been called out:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uber_protests_and_legal_actions

^ If uber breaks laws, govt can arrest them. In fact there are many cases in wiki page you mentioned where uber executivers have been arrested. But in the same page, it is mentioned uber has become legal in many places.

Start ups like uber/aribnb operate in a market model which isn't defined by old laws at many places. Hence laws are constantly updated.

And with the govt in Maharashtra planning to regulate app based services

http://indianexpress.com/article/in...-to-regulate-web-based-taxi-services-4554635/

http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report-new-set-of-rules-for-all-city-taxis-2342752

I am surprised they have not planned to do something about the surge pricing. I don't see any reason for a colour scheme as the taxi can only be hailed by apps. A signboard could do the job instead!

While the Bombay High Court has set aside a Maharashtra government order which makes knowledge of Marathi compulsory for applicants seeking auto-rickshaw permits, transport minister Diwakar Raote said they "would not compromise on the use of Marathi". Raote added that they would study the order and make necessary amendments to the rules.

On the other hand as usual, the Sena minister has also kind of ... made it a Marathi issue. Well done, Shiv Sena.

^ If uber breaks laws, govt can arrest them. In fact there are many cases in wiki page you mentioned where uber executivers have been arrested. But in the same page, it is mentioned uber has become legal in many places.

Start ups like uber/aribnb operate in a market model which isn't defined by old laws at many places. Hence laws are constantly updated.
Just saw this article - https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/mar/03/uber-secret-program-greyball-resignation-ed-baker
Isn't that breaking the law by uber?

It's legally in gray area but ethically illegal. Now that its established that they are breaking law, govt should act and punish them.

But many governments themselves see the need for these cab services and are trying to bring them into legally operated services.

Perhaps its my bias against auto wallahs who overcharge/rude/unsafe & public buses which are late/filthy/uncomfortable talking but these cab services do serve a need.

Remember time before ola/uber where only meru/sky/dot cabs used to ply and they used to charge outrageous amounts

And now this is happening in US:
http://angelinatravels.boardingarea.com/2017/03/15/uber-driver-tip-hustling-schemes-getting-control/

The interesting things are the comments.

While I personally faced the "what is your destination" call, on being told that it's to Kempegowda Airport, only to have the driver ask me to cancel the ride because "no oil for airport, saar" ie long distance.
Just today a colleague told me he was asked for tips/over the Ola bill too. While it got resolved over call for Ola customer care. It might not work for Uber which has only email support.

So how long before the "striking drivers" go back to the same old tactics people despise - not turning on AC, extra for AC, asking for cash and/or extra above the Uber price.

And now this is happening in US:
http://angelinatravels.boardingarea.com/2017/03/15/uber-driver-tip-hustling-schemes-getting-control/

The interesting things are the comments.

While I personally faced the "what is your destination" call, on being told that it's to Kempegowda Airport, only to have the driver ask me to cancel the ride because "no oil for airport, saar" ie long distance.
Just today a colleague told me he was asked for tips/over the Ola bill too. While it got resolved over call for Ola customer care. It might not work for Uber which has only email support.

So how long before the "striking drivers" go back to the same old tactics people despise - not turning on AC, extra for AC, asking for cash and/or extra above the Uber price.

Have seen the destination issue twice, once I was in a share (my destination Ghatkopar from Andheri while the lady wanted Seawoods from Vile Parle, while the driver wanted to go home - it was past 8 hours since he was driving - he told the lady to cancel) and when booking a Prime - the driver asked my destination as he was short on fuel, he told me to wait for an extra 5 minutes and he would pickup - which he did.

The only good thing about the above is that if the driver refused, just cancel, and book another. If you get slapped with a 25 INR fee, just complain to Ola and they refund/remove it. Not like our great taxis/autos where you need to keep begging till someone says yes finally.

Tips issue only faced in Tamil Nadu - Hosur. I flatly refused and complained to Ola, I don't think anything happened of it.

Seems like Uber has remove the incentives while Ola has continued with the same. And the funny thing is that Ola is charging way more than Uber for shares now, plus stuffing 4 persons in a cab which is idiotic.

I had to take Uber from Bangalore Airport today and man what a nightmare it was. Reminded me of the old days. First the cab driver tried appealing to my humanity by saying he dint have food for the whole day and dint have money for the toll gate charges. I had ran out of cash and politely told him so. I asked him to return back and talk to the people @ Uber Zone (Bangalore Airport has one) if that's the case. He felt I was trying to avoid paying so he then claimed he will get "his company" (and not Uber) to send me a message. I again told him about my cash crunch. He still thought I was trying to avoid paying so he came up with a more tempting offer. He said I should pay the 145 in toll, then "his company" will work out with Uber and refund me 300rs. I again told him that "I really was not carrying any cash. I got into the cab thinking Uber had worked out the toll charges. If he couldn't pay he might as well drop me back at the Airport".

Then he grumbled a lot and paid the toll at the gate. Lo and behold, his AC stopped working and he refused to turn it on.

When we got down at my apartment complex, he showed me a fake bill of 420 saying Uber was not paying him the toll charges. Then again toll charges were 145 (thanks to cross-reference on Ola) so it was strange. All the while I received a fat bill of 720 from Uber.

I can't fathom the amount of people who would've fallen for this trick.

So while I still marvel at the ease of hailing the cab, this is not going well and my prediction on page 1 still holds true.

I had to take Uber from Bangalore Airport today and man what a nightmare it was. Reminded me of the old days. First the cab driver tried appealing to my humanity by saying he dint have food for the whole day and dint have money for the toll gate charges. I had ran out of cash and politely told him so. I asked him to return back and talk to the people @ Uber Zone (Bangalore Airport has one) if that's the case. He felt I was trying to avoid paying so he then claimed he will get "his company" (and not Uber) to send me a message. I again told him about my cash crunch. He still thought I was trying to avoid paying so he came up with a more tempting offer. He said I should pay the 145 in toll, then "his company" will work out with Uber and refund me 300rs. I again told him that "I really was not carrying any cash. I got into the cab thinking Uber had worked out the toll charges. If he couldn't pay he might as well drop me back at the Airport".

Then he grumbled a lot and paid the toll at the gate. Lo and behold, his AC stopped working and he refused to turn it on.

When we got down at my apartment complex, he showed me a fake bill of 420 saying Uber was not paying him the toll charges. Then again toll charges were 145 (thanks to cross-reference on Ola) so it was strange. All the while I received a fat bill of 720 from Uber.

I can't fathom the amount of people who would've fallen for this trick.

So while I still marvel at the ease of hailing the cab, this is not going well and my prediction on page 1 still holds true.

Report him. This has happened to me earlier with Ola, saying we don't pay the toll charges. Never seen the food angle crop up though.

Back