India improves internet speed but still fares poorly in global rankings

https://www.business-standard.com/a...rnet-speeds-fared-in-2018-118121900288_1.html

Guys how much long would it take for us to have 185 mbps download speed in India like Singapore has it currently? Also y cannot on this earth we can have a direct internet connection from the other countries who provide fastest internet speed as an individual. There must be some or the other way. Y do we always have to lack behind in some terms from other countries even after india is said to be growing at a rapid speed?

Because in this below link I see by next year 2019 onwards we will have atleast 100 gbps speed. https://www.businesstoday.in/curren...y-next-year-says-isro-chief/story/282766.html

Last edited:
i've seen people in europe bragging of 400Mbps up/down speeds for around 40 euros per month. 100GBps speed for satellite is in theory. The uplink / downlink bandwidth to satellite is costly. Even if the isro chief is going to give it free of cost, there will be very less companies opting for that. Landline is much cheaper and stable compared to satellite. And if you noticed they're using same K band as dth signals. So heavy rainfall or cloud cover will kill the signals really fast.

Y do we always have to lack behind in some terms from other countries even after india is said to be growing at a rapid speed?
India is mostly poor people. Most of them live in villages where internet is not a necessity. As an example - In my city, lots of people from north have come in past few years. Their life style is such that most shops in my area have stopped stocking the costly type of biscuits. And costly here means biscuits that cost more than 20 rupees. No potato chips (besides the 5 rupee packets). No large ketchup bottles. just those squeezy types. No pizza. No good ice cream. There is ice cream but the fake ones from Kwality that cost 10 or 15 rupees. No cheese besides those tiny cubes. Even coffee (except the 5 rupee packets) is not sold in many shops and I have to go to the mall a km away to get coffee.

my point is even if people buy they buy in too less a quantity and in those small sachet packs.
I'm not judging them. Its natural for people to balk at expensive food items after looking at village prices. Even I do a double take looking at the prices of some food products now. Online shopping has increased food prices like anything for no reason.

This is anecdotal, but I think most of India is like this. Not many people have a need for fast internet. It's not as important in their daily lives as food or paying bills or something else. When the majority of people are living outside cities and loathe to spend money, then companies have no reason to bring fast internet there.

internet is not a necessity.

Not true. They are unaware of the benefits AND/OR the panchayat/sarpanch is keeping it away.

Farmers are able to be updated of the weather patterns using a smart phone. Additionally, they can know what are the prices for the items ie seeds/etc and all when bought from a wholesaler vs the local rep. Additionally, while selling, they can see what is the selling price in other markets and can decide. Basically cutting out the middlemen.

Teachers/Students - gain access to new info + browsing + etc.

Others - what are the finance rates and access to NBFCs, who can be better than the local money lender.

In short, when unaware - this is the issue.

^^ yeah but you don't need hundreds or even tens of mbps for that. A few mbps if stable is more than enough. Bsnl could have easily done this. But they're absolutely useless

And this is why Jio + JioPhone is gaining traction rapidly in semi urban/rural areas.....

Plus, to complete the tack, AVI group have started a minimum RC of 35 which does not give UL calling and internet which Jio does. 49 is better than 35!

Yup. Abuse them all you like, Jio have made some pretty significant changes. We were paying 250 bucks for a gig of data. And before that we were paying 4 bucks a minute for outgoing and 1 rupee incoming, when reliance disrupted all that for 501 bucks a month.

So basically the price we are paying for high speed data penetration is we've sold the country to the largest company in the country :-/

Not true. They are unaware of the benefits AND/OR the panchayat/sarpanch is keeping it away.

Farmers are able to be updated of the weather patterns using a smart phone. Additionally, they can know what are the prices for the items ie seeds/etc and all when bought from a wholesaler vs the local rep. Additionally, while selling, they can see what is the selling price in other markets and can decide. Basically cutting out the middlemen.

Teachers/Students - gain access to new info + browsing + etc.

Others - what are the finance rates and access to NBFCs, who can be better than the local money lender.

In short, when unaware - this is the issue.

farmers can get that info from mobile phone too from some helpline and local govt agricultural labs. plus i'm not really sure how many villages have access to 24/7 electricity for mobile towers. And this is taking into account that farmers don't have debts to think off and will spend time on phone. farmers just go to local govt mandi to sell stuff because its cheaper for them to sell it off there than to drag tonnes of vegetables all across the state and spend even more money on transport than they have. If the govt had set up enough cold storage centers, then it would have been a different story. Maybe we need some company like Reliance to step into the cold storage game and do what they did like in the internet field.

all those students learning from internet etc stuff will happen only if students have a school to study. Most villages don't even have a good school or even electricity. Where will they get computers or internet from when the teachers don't get paid salary for months?

Back