India comes out on top in improving broadband speeds in 2017: Ookla

India has been ranked among the top in terms of improving broadband download speed this year, as per Ookla’s Speedtest Global Index 2017. India’s average broadband speeds have seen an annual growth of 76.9 per cent, more than China and the US.

The mobile data download speed in India grew this year by 42.4 per cent, bringing the download speed to 8.8Mbps. Among the populous countries, Pakistan registered the maximum year-on-year download speed growth, by registering a 56.2 per cent increase. Ookla also compiled results on global net speeds, as the Speedtest Global Index 2017 has seen a 30 per cent rise in global internet speeds.

Meanwhile, mobile downloads were recorded worldwide at a mean speed of 20.28Mbps, with a 30.1 per cent increase in mobile downloads, and a 38.9 per cent increase in mobile uploads. Rankings release by Ookla for November had placed India at the 109th position for the speed of mobile internet. According to the November ratings, India was placed 76th in the world for fixed broadband speeds.

“Mobile and broadband internet speeds in India have certainly evolved in last couple of years. India still has a long way to go to catch up with countries that have top speeds around the world, however, we at Ookla are highly optimistic about the capacity for growth that is available in the Indian market,” said Mr Doug Suttles, Co-Founder and General Manager at Ookla

Source

Not surprising at all.
Till 2015 there was no alternative and everyone was stuck with mtnl's 1Mbps if you wanted unlimited data or you had to go with airtel if you wanted high speed with insulting data caps.
Now you can get minimum 10Mbps at Rs599.
Things will only get better because i have seen isp offering 1Gbps at less than 1k.

^^ Which ISP in India is offering 1Gbps at less than 1K?! o_O As far as I know, only ACT offers it commercially in Hyderabad and that too for 5K, if I'm not mistaken!

Not surprising at all.
Till 2015 there was no alternative and everyone was stuck with mtnl's 1Mbps if you wanted unlimited data or you had to go with airtel if you wanted high speed with insulting data caps.
Now you can get minimum 10Mbps at Rs599.
Things will only get better because i have seen isp offering 1Gbps at less than 1k.

Most of places it's still 2Mbps for Rs600 - 1k. Only the metro cities have such high speeds.

^^ Which ISP in India is offering 1Gbps at less than 1K?! o_O As far as I know, only ACT offers it commercially in Hyderabad and that too for 5K, if I'm not mistaken!
Spectranet in delhi has started 1Gbps 150gb at 899 and unlimited at 1250 without taxes. They have always been ahead of the game, they used to offer 100Mbps unlimited at less than 2k three years ago. They are growing very slowly and cover only few places.
Most of places it's still 2Mbps for Rs600 - 1k. Only the metro cities have such high speeds.
With your reasoning India hasn't developed since Independence because we still have villages without electricity and potable water.

Spectranet in delhi has started 1Gbps 150gb at 899 and unlimited at 1250 without taxes. They have always been ahead of the game, they used to offer 100Mbps unlimited at less than 2k three years ago. They are growing very slowly and cover only few places.

Wow, I didn't know Spectranet offered. But then, they have had quite a huge number of complaints from their customers in the past, haven't they? Many criticized about cables being cut frequently. If they can offer it with good customer service, they're golden! :)

With your reasoning India hasn't developed since Independence because we still have villages without electricity and potable water.

lol. what?
what reasoning? its a ground fact. Just because one or two cities have GBps broadband does not mean entire country has GBps broadband.

I'll turn your own logic on to you.
If a train engine runs alone by itself at full speed leaving behind the rest of the train, does it mean the entire train is moving?

And India hasn't developed much till now. All the villages are still in developing mode. Only few years back they started getting toilets, water lines, electricity etc.

You are right. India doesn't have poverty either.

Its not necessary to see what most people have. Its enough to see what how much money a couple of people like Mukesh Ambani and Azim Premji have to come to a conclusion about how rich the people in this country have become.

Last edited:
Back