ICICI calling and asking to login live!!

nRiTeCh

Skilled
Since yesterday mom is getting call from this no. 0265 613 0400 but it got missed couple of times.
Today just now I answered the call and a lady was online.

She said she is calling on behalf of ICICI and want to do some online banking verification server login etc.
She first asked which cos. cell you using and what os.
Accordingly she sent an sms asking to open that link. The sms was sent from 0000000000.
Again she sent google play store link which isnt compatible with lumia.
Then she asked if I already have any ICICI app installed and I agreed.
She was asking me to login in the icici mobile app while putting her call on hold.:confused:

Obviously I was suspicious and straightway said this sounds some fraud and how can any bank ask customer to login in some app while putting a call on hold??:coldfeet: She said this isnt any fraud & she isnt asking a/c no, un or pw etc. but just to confirm and secure server side authentication and hence asking all users to login to their mobile banking.

Now this is way tooooo much sounding beyond phishing fraud!:nailbiting:

I immediately made a story stating that my mom is abroad at the moment and her login details are with her. And I'm using her phone coz at last min. her phone developed some issues hence I gave here my phone.

But the lady wasnt done and refused to give up. She asked me to call my mom abroad and ask login details. :wtf:Now I was like WTF??? I acted smart & replied in anger that on this no. I'ntl calls arent activated and further more why the hell shall I disturb her vacation just for a chiller app issue? And its night over there so wont disturb here. Also mom doesnt use any app or etc. so doesnt matter if you guys deactivate it or whatever.

Again she asked when can she callback to complete the process and I replied ok call tomorrow to settle this for last time.:mad:

I dont know if this is really a fradulent call or not coz mom has received all ICICI transaction details via the same 00000000000 only as I checked.

Also when I asked her that even my dad and me have icici a/cs and we never got such calls to which she replied that we might have already got activated our mobile app access!!:banghead:

Can anybody working in ICICI or other confirm if this is genuine or fraud?

Last edited:
Havent yet suspected any such activity though. I have changed moms a/c password.

But how can somebody access our bank a/c just by calling us and asking to login on some app?? Can in this way money be transferred to some xyz a/c ?? Can they interpret what we are typing on phone using the call??
This is seriously frightening!! :nailbiting:

Isn't the almost all icici bank sms comes as 'BP / BW / VM-ICICIB' as subject line ?

Zero is defiantly fraud..

Well True Caller Says - It is a Spam according to 2593 people.

Ux9bsfBl.png

Last edited:
Sounds like a phishing attempt. Do not download any app the caller sends you a link to or share any account details with the caller. Bank personnel never ever ask for account details over the phone and even in person it's usually just your name or at most your account number.

If you can be at an ICICI bank branch when the call comes in, have the bank manager get ICICI's IT security team to listen in.

Isn't the almost all icici bank sms comes as 'BP / BW / VM-ICICIB' as subject line ?

Zero is defiantly fraud..

Well True Caller Says - It is a Spam according to 2593 people.

Ux9bsfB.png
I immediately looked up in true caller before posting here. People report such nos as spam coz they get call for credit card etc.. nonsense.

BP BW vm is known but at times even get sms from that 00000000000 no and have verified that from bank.

Some of us store account number, ATM pin and other personal details in the phone. If this kind of application is installed it would be easy for whoever doing this to access all information in the phone and if they get hold of the password or pin details it would be a matter of time before the money is wiped out from your bank account.

I got a similar call a couple of days ago, from a mobile number.. :p. Some guy spoke and told me that he is from a credit card division,and he needs to verify details. He addressed me by my name. Wanted to know if my card was visa or MasterCard. He didn't ask that too directly. Instead he asked me how the logo looked and what colour it was. :p Anyway, I knew he was fishing around for some info without even knowing which bank card I was having. I had some conversation with him for a few minutes after which I hung up.. By that time he was desperate enough to threaten me that if I didn't comply, I would be unnecessarily paying 9500 rs as fine.. LOL

I got a call from the 'branch manager' of 'my bank' few months back. Strangely the person knew my name(may be truecaller). He wanted me to give my debit card details and pin number as there were some security issues.

I was in a comic mood that day. I don't remember exact details but the conversation was as follows:
ME: Which bank does he work?
Answer: 'your bank'
ME: Okay but which bank?
Answer: 'The bank which you have an account in.'
ME: Ohh okay. So you are from corporate syndicate bank(Does it even exist?).
Answer: Yes sir, exactly.
ME: Which branch do you work in?
Answer: I am the branch manager of your branch.
ME: Actually I don't remember my branch exactly as I get transferred alot, can you tell me the branch? Is it nanda nagar branch(Again, never heard of this place)?
Answer: Yes sir. Please provide me your debit card details and your ATM pin so that I can reset it.
ME: Well, I don't have any debit card from your bank I guess. I have one from ICICI, will it work?(In excitement I was just saying anything stupid)
Answer: Okay sir, give me the details fast as our branch is closing(It was around 4:45 PM), I need to do it before that.(That is one stupid scammer, did not realize till now I was just trolling him)
ME: Okay, let me find my wallet, would you mind if I put you on hold?
Answer: No problem sir, just do it fast.
After that I put the call on hold for good 5-10 minutes(Yes, I am that jobless).
ME: Sorry, It took so long for me to find my wallet. Here is my debit card number.(another stupid act of mine, I forgot to count the number of random digits and I guess I made it around 20 or more digits). My expiry date, 10/24 and ATM pin 0420.
Answer(With a hint of happiness): Thank you sir. I will reset the password, you can change it next time you visit an ATM. Please do not make any transaction for next 7 days as your account will not be active. Have a good day.

After the call I was thinking how stupid I am for making such silly mistakes and how the quality of scammer have seriously deteriorate these days. Anyways, it was a good topic to laugh about in family/friends gatherings.

I got a call from the 'branch manager' of 'my bank' few months back. Strangely the person knew my name(may be truecaller). He wanted me to give my debit card details and pin number as there were some security issues.

I was in a comic mood that day. I don't remember exact details but the conversation was as follows:
ME: Which bank does he work?
Answer: 'your bank'
ME: Okay but which bank?
Answer: 'The bank which you have an account in.'
ME: Ohh okay. So you are from corporate syndicate bank(Does it even exist?).
Answer: Yes sir, exactly.
ME: Which branch do you work in?
Answer: I am the branch manager of your branch.
ME: Actually I don't remember my branch exactly as I get transferred alot, can you tell me the branch? Is it nanda nagar branch(Again, never heard of this place)?
Answer: Yes sir. Please provide me your debit card details and your ATM pin so that I can reset it.
ME: Well, I don't have any debit card from your bank I guess. I have one from ICICI, will it work?(In excitement I was just saying anything stupid)
Answer: Okay sir, give me the details fast as our branch is closing(It was around 4:45 PM), I need to do it before that.(That is one stupid scammer, did not realize till now I was just trolling him)
ME: Okay, let me find my wallet, would you mind if I put you on hold?
Answer: No problem sir, just do it fast.
After that I put the call on hold for good 5-10 minutes(Yes, I am that jobless).
ME: Sorry, It took so long for me to find my wallet. Here is my debit card number.(another stupid act of mine, I forgot to count the number of random digits and I guess I made it around 20 or more digits). My expiry date, 10/24 and ATM pin 0420.
Answer(With a hint of happiness): Thank you sir. I will reset the password, you can change it next time you visit an ATM. Please do not make any transaction for next 7 days as your account will not be active. Have a good day.

After the call I was thinking how stupid I am for making such silly mistakes and how the quality of scammer have seriously deteriorate these days. Anyways, it was a good topic to laugh about in family/friends gatherings.

Lol. May be he was some first time semi-literate idiot! Or may be in mid of the conversation he too realized that you were playing with him and so he too continued just to avoid him getting caught and be ashamed. :p

Lol. May be he was some first time semi-literate idiot! Or may be in mid of the conversation he too realized that you were playing with him and so he too continued just to avoid him getting caught and be ashamed. :p
I don't know if he realized or not, but in the end joke's on him, so I don't care much. But still the 'your branch manager' and 'your branch' was pretty noob-ish. Really, if someone fall for these kind of people, in my opinion they deserve to be scammed so that they learn the lesson.

Update***

Today afternoon headed straight to my nearest ICICI bank and explained them the scenario.
They said its a fake and scam.
And even if we request for any such activation of services, we only get a confirmation sms or email but no such calls.
Surprisingly I went to the bank the same time the lady promised to call me, 12pm but even after waiting for 45mins she didnt call and no call till now.

I guess the lady wanted you to install the modified app which might log/send login/other details to her.
Since you already had the real app, she would have to convince you to uninstall it but she gave up.

Well didnt look like that. She sent the authentic icici weblink which I verified with the bank today.
Also she wasnt actually forcing me to uninstall anything but to enter login detail by not hanging up the phone so thats very suspicious.

Still dont know how someone hack into anybodys a/c via a voice call + logging into an app!!

She was probably on your network or somehow could view the traffic to and fro your phone. Or a keylogger. Or perhaps she was goign to use the app to rope you in first, and then get you to divulge details later on once you have the app. Last one seems most plausible.

To be honest, once I pick a call and if I hear a "call centre" (many people talking), in the background I immediately terminate the call. Voice Solicitation is quite a menace in India. Privacy respectability is 0.00% here anyways. Give us Indians any entity, and we will exploit it till the hilt......!

Back