Audio iBasso Dx100 DAP

This looks rather interesting

DX100:

The DX100 is our reference Digital Audio Player (DAP). It can play most of the 24Bit/192kHz Lossless music. The whole design is based on the ES9018, which ESS claim as "The World's Best DAC Chip".

• Support up to 24/192 Decoding

• ES9018 DAC Chip

• Built-in +/-8.5V Headphone AMP

• Up to 24/192 Optical/Coaxial Output

• 256-Steps Digital Volume Control

[attachment=10476:17397.attach]

Attachments

• 23_143222_acf4b3cbebd8ab0.jpg
    23_143222_acf4b3cbebd8ab0.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 249
As I said in the head-fi thread : My next DAP :D - as long as it's not priced at $1000. If I can spend $1000, I'd choose a custom or a top-tier headphone or even a DAC before this DAP.

IMO, it's a bit of hot air about 32-bit, 24/192 Khz etc., Even with 24/96 format, many say that the recording quality is what determines the perceived better quality over 16/44 and it has nothing to do with all those extra bits. I've a few 24/96 files (Vinyl rips), those are goddamn huge in size. I can only imagine about 24/192 :O

Again, most manufacturers have a habit of slapping the chipset specifications on their product, but we need to wait for some reviews of whether they translate into reality. More than anything, implementation is the key. Even NuForce uDAC was based on an ESS Sabre DAC, but it did not sound as good.

I'd keep an eye out for pricing and more details. I'd say about $400-500 will hit the sweet spot for me. But, iBasso may be looking to position DX100 as a premium audiophile player competing against Colorfly C4 and HM801. If they do, the price may touch $800-900. In that case, it loses the value proposition and becomes a niche product not everybody would be willing to buy. Besides the unique DAC chip for this DAP, we already have players which have one or two features (J3 with 32+32gb capacity and capacitive touch screen, Sony NWZ1000 DAP with Android, HM602/801 which are DAPs as well as DACs, of course there are many Brick players around like HisoundAudio ones + Hifiman ones + my QA350 as well). Would be interesting to see how iBasso handles this!

I don't think iBasso are foolish enough to price it above $500. The kinda sales they would generate if they sell it less than $300 would make it an ipod killer. But since iBasso wouldn't even be capable of providing that kind of supply, they would price it around $400-$500. Definitely not more than that. iBasso does not have a single product in its current lineup which sells more than $400. They have always been into providing a cheaper solution to RSA. Making a $1000 DAP would be the dumbest thing they would do if they do it. But hey, thats just my opinion.

To be honest I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference between 16bit and 24bit audio, let alone a portable device.

I think I have a 24/92 or maybe its 24/192 i'm not sure album of Eric Clapton and BB king. The size is 1gb plus for sure. I'll edit this comment and update the exact details once I can confirm it.

We are wondering if we should get iBasso DX50/ DX100 to India or the Astell and Kern AK100 / AK120 , A&K have already approached us but we are not sure how many people would really be interested in a 1000-1200$ PMP .

@PristineNote,

May be a few DX50. At $239, it is the only one relatively affordable.

I think a few would be interested in trying AK100/120, but buying is a different issue altogether (of course, I am talking about myself :)). All I want is a good transport with clean implementation of Coax / SPDIF out at a cheaper price. QA350 v2 is very good in output (perhaps why I like UHA6S much more than many who complain about it's DAC section), but it's highly impractical to use. X3 / DX50 might satisfy my needs, but I need to read a lot more first :)

We are wondering if we should get iBasso DX50/ DX100 to India or the Astell and Kern AK100 / AK120 , A&K have already approached us but we are not sure how many people would really be interested in a 1000-1200$ PMP .

i would love for u guys to get atleast colorfly c3??
i ordered brainwavz m3 from u ppl 3 months back,good quick delivery

@PristineNote,

May be a few DX50. At $239, it is the only one relatively affordable.

I think a few would be interested in trying AK100/120, but buying is a different issue altogether (of course, I am talking about myself :)). All I want is a good transport with clean implementation of Coax / SPDIF out at a cheaper price. QA350 v2 is very good in output (perhaps why I like UHA6S much more than many who complain about it's DAC section), but it's highly impractical to use. X3 / DX50 might satisfy my needs, but I need to read a lot more first :)

i second that
dx 50 must be available in indian market

Back