CPU/Mobo i3 4130 or fx 6300

soumyajit92

Disciple
What should i go with for a budget all round pc i3 4130 or fx 6300? Will keep it for 2-3 years. I've looked everywhere and people tend to care for only one thing nowadays, gaming. But what i'm here looking for is an all round bang for the buck performer for both work and play. Thank you.

^ Neither, try to get a 4th Gen entry-level Core i5 (4430).

The Intel Core i3's of the 4th Generation family are just not well priced enough to justify their performance.

And AMD FX line, well the less said is better. Bulldozer as an architecture has failed in its objectives and seeing where AMD is headed (financially), if Zen is also a damp squib, the chances of AMD having to file for bankruptcy is real.

Here are the benchmarks to speak for the same,
Intel Core i3 4130T (a low power chip) vs. AMD FX6300
Intel Core i5 3570k (last gen. Core i5) vs. AMD FX6300

I know this sounds a bit pushy but it is with the long term in mind. Cheers!

Well if i could i'd buy the i7 5960x instead but the point is that i'm limited to 7k only for cpu and 4k for mobo. That i5 costs 12k which is more than my cpu+mobo budget.

In that case go for the FX6300 and the best motherboard you can squeeze in for it. Preferably one based on the more recent A970 chipset.

The deal is that the only real place where you'd have a noticeable difference in day to day usage between the two CPUs is gaming. In gaming, the i3 will completely stomp the amd fx cpu.

For everything else, you'd probably not feel any difference at all - say for photoshop, we are talking about a fraction of a second here and there. For compiling, it would be a second here and there and so on. In video editing, the fx will be faster. In I/O bandwidth (usb, sata etc) the i3 will be faster.

I assume you have an SSD in your config. If you don't be sure to put money there rather than a faster cpu.

The deal is that the only real place where you'd have a noticeable difference in day to day usage between the two CPUs is gaming. In gaming, the i3 will completely stomp the amd fx cpu.

For everything else, you'd probably not feel any difference at all - say for photoshop, we are talking about a fraction of a second here and there. For compiling, it would be a second here and there and so on. In video editing, the fx will be faster. In I/O bandwidth (usb, sata etc) the i3 will be faster.

I assume you have an SSD in your config. If you don't be sure to put money there rather than a faster cpu.
Yes i do have an ssd in the config, 850 evo 120gb. But you confused me as hell, could you just tell me that "go buy the xx cpu" that should last me 2 years of daily usage like mkv conversions, compressing files, photoshop, oracle, visual basic, hd media playback, fifa, cs go etc and stuff. One more concern is the multitasking, i have always used laptops in my life and if i keep 10tabs open in chrome +photoshop+some big rar decompression the laptops stops working. I dont want any of that.

This is the config i have in mind till now

Cpu- not decided
Mobo-b85m d3h / ga78lmt usb3 (based on intel or amd)
Ram - gskill ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz
Gpu- zotac 750 ti
Hdd- barracuda 1tb/wd purple 1td
Psu- antec vp550
Cabinet- corsair 100r
Ssd- samsung 850 evo 120gb
Monitor- dell s2240l
Mouse- logitech g400s (for cs go)
Keyb- logitech usb keyb
Dvd-asus
Cooler-cooler master tx3 evo(no plan of overclocking, just to keep it cooler than the stock)

Last edited:
Most of the stuttering and slowdowns you talk about are not because of cpu but rather the machine running out of memory and swapping like hell. I would recommend 16GB if you can afford it for heavy multitasking . Will help a lot in the long run. Rest of your configuration looks absolutely fine.

Yes i do have an ssd in the config, 850 evo 120gb. But you confused me as hell, could you just tell me that "go buy the xx cpu" that should last me 2 years of daily usage like mkv conversions, compressing files, photoshop, oracle, visual basic, hd media playback, fifa, cs go etc and stuff. One more concern is the multitasking, i have always used laptops in my life and if i keep 10tabs open in chrome +photoshop+some big rar decompression the laptops stops working. I dont want any of that.

This is the config i have in mind till now

Cpu- not decided
Ram - gskill ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz
Gpu- zotac 750 ti
Hdd- barracuda 1tb/wd purple 1td
Psu- antec vp550
Cabinet- corsair 100r
Ssd- samsung 850 evo 120gb
Monitor- dell s2240l
Mouse- logitech g400s (for cs go)
Keyb- logitech usb keyb
Dvd-asus
Cooler-cooler master tx3 evo(no plan of overclocking, just to keep it cooler than the stock)

Cpu- not decided

Swap out the AMD board for something better, the motherboard you have shortlisted is based on the now almost archaic 760G North Bridge + SB710 chipset. It will add its own layer of bottleneck in the set up.

This is what I would recommend, not over-clocker friendly but that should not concern you overly much.

Swap out the AMD board for something better, the motherboard you have shortlisted is based on the now almost archaic 760G North Bridge + SB710 chipset. It will add its own layer of bottleneck in the set up.

This is what I would recommend, not over-clocker friendly but that should not concern you overly much.
If going AMD, I agree

The board is even cheaper here

http://www.ebay.in/itm/MSI-970A-G43...9?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item3f505431c1

With 10% off coupons, it will be under 5.5k.

I always thought motherboard has nothing to do with performance.

I dont know what should i do? Amd or intel just tell me damn it :p what would you have bought if you we're in my position.

What'll i lose if i take the i3 instead of fx6300 and viceversa?

There is a tradeoff that needs serious consideration before you spend. Chances are the desktop will quickly go out of favour since you have mostly used a laptop - bulk, space constraints, multiplicity of peripherals, noise, lack of portability, backup, etc etc. have bearing on usage. The need for a big screen is the only real reason to get a desktop (after gaming, ofcourse).
For most of what load you intend to subject the system to, and the funds you intend to sink in I would suggest a look at better laptops than your present one... which will have better resale value than a desktop.

Just my 2 annas.

Laptops can mever match a desktop's specifications at a given price point and even if they do the graphics options available are just not going to cut it for me. Even though 750 ti which i've selected is an entry level 1080p card it's much much more powerful than any Laptop gpu at that price point.

^ True but even the 750Ti is not going to last very long in the current desktop scenario.
I always thought motherboard has nothing to do with performance.

I dont know what should i do? Amd or intel just tell me damn it :p what would you have bought if you we're in my position.

What'll i lose if i take the i3 instead of fx6300 and viceversa?

Well, if you want to break it down to that, let's assume that you are picking the Core i3, this is what you get,
  • Decent day-to-day and gaming performance out of the box alongside a modest power draw.
  • An iGP on CPU die that allows you to do basic video-transcoding in tandem while the main CPU is being tasked with some other work.
  • Mature Intel memory controller, with a decent kit of 1600MHz RAM and the GIGABYTE motherboard you have in mind, you have a solid base for future expansion to a better processor, GPU et al.
Loss,
  • No over-clocking potential, neither from the chipset side nor the CPU, unless you are ready to step down to a Pentium G3258 Anniversary Edition processor. The inverse is true for AMD, you can over-clock the FX6300 but the gains would be offset by the added power-draw and requirement of better hardware.
  • If you are constantly going to do video-editing and photoshop, in my opinion the AMD would be a better choice because actual multi-core processor and the small gains would add up.
Common across platforms,
  • Should get the job done, for now
Hope this helps, Cheers!

Last edited:
Okay you guys have successfully discouraged me to go for the amd and i also did some research and chose not to go with it since it won't the be wisest of choices. Which takes me to the i3 and i genuinely think paying 7k for two core i3 is not worth it, the pentium g3258 is much better choice at a lower price.

So now that i'm forced to think i5 i've decided to f&@k that s&@t and go with these components even though i dont think i can them this month, but hope it'll worth it.

These are the changes, rest will be the same

i5 4440, asrock h97m pro4, seasonic s12ii 520, gtx 960

^ Well, glad we could turn you around on that. =]

Do not go for the ASRock board, look up these two models,
  • MSi H97M-G43
  • GIGABYTE H97M-D3H

Hope this helps. Cheers!

^ Well, glad we could turn you around on that. =]

Do not go for the ASRock board, look up these two models,
  • MSi H97M-G43
  • GIGABYTE H97M-D3H

Hope this helps. Cheers!
Not that i prefer asrock bt that board has optical out and intel giga lan arent that better. But sure, i'll check those boards out too. Thank you so much.

This new config is going to cost me 60k where i was hoping to finish it 45k ish ... What a man thinks and what actually happens :/

The MSi board has the optical out , I am not aware of who is going to give you after sales of the ASRock here and that is what concerns me.

Okay you guys have successfully discouraged me to go for the amd and i also did some research and chose not to go with it since it won't the be wisest of choices. Which takes me to the i3 and i genuinely think paying 7k for two core i3 is not worth it, the pentium g3258 is much better choice at a lower price.

So now that i'm forced to think i5 i've decided to f&@k that s&@t and go with these components even though i dont think i can them this month, but hope it'll worth it.

These are the changes, rest will be the same

i5 4440, asrock h97m pro4, seasonic s12ii 520, gtx 960

A wise decision.And as ALPHA17 mentioned you should really cutdown The AsRock board and look elsewhere.
If you are planning to save a few more Then wait for 950Ti,Its will be out early august.If you are okay with the budget GTX 960 is an awesome choice.

Without sounding like a nag (and no need to reply to this)

Like I said, it is the usage that you should dwell on. This would not be an issue if you are a regular desktop user.

Visualise going through the routine of switching on the mains, then the UPS, then the power switch, dealing with the power strip and the multiple wires and cables, and not to forget the whining noise of the fans, and the bulk of the cabinet occupying your table real estate and the fact that you are chained to that table - EVERYTIME you use a desktop. It can be quite a show stopper if you have gotten used to the freedom of using a laptop.

Yes, you will get better parts in the desktop but using it has a "committment cost" which is worth considering. And Rs. 60000 will get you a laptop that will perform a world apart from your present one, leaving little scope for dissatisfaction.

Laptops can mever match a desktop's specifications at a given price point and even if they do the graphics options available are just not going to cut it for me. Even though 750 ti which i've selected is an entry level 1080p card it's much much more powerful than any Laptop gpu at that price point.

Back