3. NOTE taking
  4. MEDIA consumption
So what are the features of an ideal tablet:
  1. SOLID BATTERYLIFE
  2. EXCELLENT SCREEN QUALITY
  3. EXCELLENT CPU AND GPU
  4. GOOD STYLUS SUPPORT
  5. 3G/4G SUPPORT for data
today i will review an extremely unknown tablet that comes close to being an ideal tablet!
THE tablet am talking about is the HP ELITE X2 1011 G1!
Specifications are as below
CPU 1.2 GHz Intel Core M-5Y71
Operating System Windows 8.1 Pro
RAM 8GB
RAM Upgradable to
Hard Drive Size
256GB SSD
Hard Drive Speed
Hard Drive Type
SSD Drive
Secondary Hard Drive Size
Secondary Hard Drive Speed
Secondary Hard Drive Type
Display Size
Native Resolution 1920x1080
Optical Drive None
Optical Drive Speed
Graphics Card
Intel HD Graphics 5300
Video Memory
Wi-Fi
802.11a/b/g/n/ac
Wi-Fi Model Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265
Bluetooth Bluetooth 4.0
Mobile Broadband YES
Touchpad Size
2 x 3.5 inches
Ports (excluding USB) USB 3.0
Ports (excluding USB) DisplayPort
Ports (excluding USB) Headphone
Ports (excluding USB) Proprietary
USB Ports 2
Warranty/Support 1 year limited warranty, 1 year limited warranty on primary battery
Size 11.73 x 8.04 x 0.82 in (tablet with power keyboard), 11. 73 x 7.58 x 0.42 (tablet)
Weight Tablet: 1.92 pounds, Power Keyboard 1.71 pounds, 3.63 pounds combined total
Company Website http://www.hp.com
Now why exactly am crazy about this tablet?
first i will tell you a brief history of devices i owned, dunno from where to start, ok lemme list it chronologically according to acquisition:
  1. Galaxy Tab 2
  2. Nexus 7 first gen
  3. Samsung Ativ SMart PC 500T
  4. Blackberry playbook
  5. Nexus 7 2nd gen
  6. Ipad 3 64gb wifi cellular
  7. ipad mini 32gb wifi cellular
  8. Ipad Air 1st gen
  9. Samsung Ativ Smart PC XE700
  10. Microsoft Surface Pro 2 core i5
  11. Microsoft surface Pro 3 core i5 128gb
  12. Asus T300 Chi 128gb
  13. Teclast X98 air 3G dual boot
  14. HP elite X2 1011 G1
Out of the above few devices have been sold and bought twice like Tab2, Nexus 7 2nd gen and iPad 3.
Then i will tell you that i didnt buy it at the MRP suggested by the company, i bought it for 40K INR, if you buy it for the suggested price of 90K then it will absolutely kill the purpose of this review. The recent prices are extremely cheap and i will drop few links below.i got it through a ebay india dealer who usually imports and sells at a reasonable prices in India.
Now the primary aim of a tablet is mobility and long battery life which is primary aim, apart from that my usage is focussed on reading pdf ebooks and scribbling over them so STYLUS SUPPORT IS MUST FOR ME. If you see the above list of devices i used then you will come to know that i used all sorts of styluses from passive wacom ones in SURAFCE PRO 2 and NOTE series phones, to active N TRIG one on SURFACE PRO 3 to SYNAPTICS stylus on ASUS T300 Chi.
Active styluses are better as proposed by most digital artists and i do agree, the wacom passive ones are not enough accurate towards the edge of the screens but after using them all i can tell you i am inclined towards the passive ones with good pressure sensitivity
  1. no need of idiotic AAAA batteries which are damn costly and not widely available either
  2. if your stylus has more tech inside the more chance of defects as happened with me!! The synaptics stylus was particularly irritating and the N trig stylus drained batteries
So in my usage case of writing notes i prefer WACOM PASSIVE STYLUS, obviously your mileage may vary depending on your usage pattern or priority.
Comparative Specs post mortem:
STORAGE:

If you want a big storage space and a tablet it will cost you loads of money, just think of the prices of ipads with bigger storages. Mine has 256 gb SSD and a very fast one too.
CELLULAR SUPPORT:
Now this also is an extremely important aspect for a tablet and if someone avoids one then the reason is mostly INDOOR usage scenario or Less frequent travelling and presence of wifi hotspots in your destinations but round the clock data acccess is a very essential part of a tablet.
Here you will see various companies charging exorbitantly for a cellular modem. Mine comes with 3G modem built in and works nicely though non 3G versions do exist.
BUILD QUALITY:
Now
this is a very interesting aspect that i need to tell you, why the hell do you think i changed devices like surface pro 3 and Asus T300 chi? both are sexy as anything and extremely feature rich.....
Answer to above is both the tablets screens cracked on slightest impact as i couldnt get a case for both in india at that point of time so it cost me a lot of money for using SEXY devices so i decided no more again. The pro 3 was just kept from few inches from the ground while inside the backpack and T300 chi screen broke when a friend by mistake applied some torsion on the tablet while still connected to the keyboards.
HERE comes the HP ELITE X2 1011 with military grade build quality and mlg specifications and i have peace of mind while i carry these in my back pack with a minor padding. ITS NOT A GIMMICK AS ITS BUILT TO LAST
SCREEN QUALITY:

From the onset i will tell you the first negative of this tablet SCREEN LOOKS WASHED as it doesnt have the same colour gamut of the ipad or galaxy tab s2 etc.
This i corrected using intel graphics software thats there in windows side of this tablet
Now did i just say windows side of the tablet???? OMG somethings wrong with me, this one just comes with Windows Professional out of the box right? ok may be i am cranky right now.

TEXT INPUT MODES:
Nowi see most people wanting to buy a aftermarket keyboard for using with their tablets but the original manufacturer only meant them to be TOUCH ONLY devices for media consumption and not for DOING ANY "REAL WORK"(oops this line is so cliche right now among various OS fanboys)
So how does my Tablet fare here? it comes with a POWER KEYBOARD with a awesome keyboard
  1. has 2 USB ports
  2. AUDIO out 3.5mm port
  3. Smart card reader( immaterial to me)
  4. Finger print scanner that is as good as in laptop worlds though old swiping tech and not just Touch tech as introduced in iphone onwards and now ubiquitious
  5. Mini display port
  6. Extra battery though a bit smaller than the one inside the tablet( i am intentionally leaving out the specs part not to make it too technical as its just a user point of view) this extra battery almost gives me half the battery life that the tablet battery gives
So i think its an awesome accessory to have and was included in my deal, remember ASUS T300 Chi keyboard was bluetooth one so unusable inside BIOS settings and you just have to pray that the display touch never stops working else forget about BIOS tinkering(though i somehow managed to buy a extra usb keyboard and used the micro usb port to change few settings but it was irritating as my tablet crashed and i had to run to market to buy a KB to do a clean windows install)
PROCESSING POWER:
My model comes with Core M 5y71 with 8gb ram and 256 gb HDD. few years back i was of the notion of buying the fastest and the best thinking thats the thing i should have and i will keep that thing for more than a year but i found benchmarks and reviews showing benchmarks are for nerdgasm and only cater to fanboy fanaticism.
I never had used my gadgets to proper or maximal use as i was constantly worried about battery dying on me. I realised in due course that any portable gadgets achilees heel will be its battery. So my gadget buying decisions are always oriented to battery life than absolute best performance. I have reduced my GAS (GEAR ACQUISITION SYNDROME) after i used a hell lot of GAS :)
Anyways the processor is more than adequate in everyday tasks and portability in mind. This is no surface book...
I had this TAblet since almost 5 months but why am i reviewing it now?
Ok, it came with Windows 8 Professional and immediately i upgraded it to Windows 10. I was a part of the INSIDER PROGRAM and used to keep my tablet in the Fast or slow ring depending on my wifi speeds ;)
I used to use all desktop apps and many apps from the Windows Store, but something within me was always itching to ditch windows and go for some OS with more apps even though am not a avid user of any specific apps but that feeling of extremely few apps when you are browsing the store used to irritate me.
I then looked into Bluestacks player....... Bull shit on this processor cpu/gpu with stutters as its demanding app and runs within windows
Then came AMIDUOS much better than Bluestacks for this processor and usable for all apps but fluidity was missing and games were still a no go
Tried few times to get Android X86 to work but the enterprise security that comes with this tablet didnt like the install and i couldnt go ahead in selecting the usb drive
Then similar situation with Remix OS 2.0 failed
So days just passed by and then i saw Remix OS 3.0 marshmallow variant being introduced and reluctantly i downloaded it. The file now comes with its own installer, i double clicked it and accepted next and voila, bootloader got installed and a single restart took me to OS selection screen..... WOWWWWW
Remix os on tablets simply rocks and the Android OS simply flies on this hardware with 8GB ram and processor
all games open instantly and its just like native android OS here, everything just works except wacom pen digitizer in android environment(i can live with that :) )
there are some cons to this tablet cum pc too will list them some other time for now sayonara.......

Was looking to buy a tablet with good stylus support. Your review makes me consider the elite.
I think you forgot the ebay links that you had mentioned in the beginning. Do add the same.

Ebay India have higher pricing right now in 70k range

http://geb.ebay.in/ImportHubViewItem?itemid=232102382184

http://geb.ebay.in/ImportHubViewItem?itemid=122164237094[DOUBLEPOST=1477066878][/DOUBLEPOST]
Was looking to buy a tablet with good stylus support. Your review makes me consider the elite.
I think you forgot the ebay links that you had mentioned in the beginning. Do add the same.
Good stylus support depends on what you do
For artists it's fine if u keep zooming in and avoiding the borders

Will make a video to demo that soon

Back