User Guides How to set the 740N as a repeater - using stock firmware

Setting the 740N as a repeater - using stock firmware

Requirements : You should know the following

1. SSID and BSSID of your wireless network. The BSSID is the MAC address of the WiFi AP of the router. If you cannot find it, use any app on your WiFi enabled Android or iOS app to get that info - I used an app from the Play Store.
2. Channel should be set to any one channel - Do not keep it on auto. You will need this info later on. This is to be done on the main router
3. IP address of the main router. If the IP address is 192.168.0.1 - then you should set the IP address of the 740N to 192.168.0.2, basically, increment the last number so that its easier to manage. You can assign the 740N any IP address in 192.168.0.X address. SImilarly, if the IP address of the router is 192.168.1.1 - then assign it 192.168.1.2 OR 192.168.1.X. The first three sets of numbers must match - Else the 740N will work as needed, and you will not be able to authenticate.
4. Setting the PC IP address to a static IP address in the same IP address range as the 740N. I typically use 192.168.1.9 as the IP address.
5. Different WiFi SSID and password for the 740N.

Procedure :

All the below must be done on the LAN connection. Not on WiFi.
Also, you may need to reboot several times, so do each setting and reboot.

1. Change the IP address of the 740N to the same as that of the main router. This has to be done in Network Settings
2. Disable DHCP on the 740N. Ensure that the PC has a static IP address as with DHCP disabled, it wont give a static IP address. This has to be done in DHCP options.
3. Now goto the Wireless Settings > Security in the 740N and tick the WDS Repeater option. It will give a new set of options. Here in the SSID option, enter the SSID of the main router and the BSSID in the BSSID option. Depending on the encryption - change it to WPA2/WPA-PSK or WEP. Enter the WiFi password of the main router.
4. Change the channel in the 740N to the same as that of the main router - This is also in Wireless Settings > Security

Screenshots

LAN setting of the 740N - Ensure you set it to same IP range as the main router

Wireless options

WDS option to tick

SSID and BSSID options in WDS Bridging

@Soyab007 If you wish to use the 740N as a wireless repeater to improve the range of your existing WiFi network - you can follow this guide.

Just would like to also mention that I have been using this for the past years as a repeater with 740N earlier, and now with a 840N. Also, the LAN ports on the repeater are bridged as well, with my Plex server connected to the 840N.

What sort of range improvement can i expect ?

Kindly read the guide again, this is a guide to convert a TP-Link router to a repeater. This does not do any range improvement by way of any method, except adding a repeater. The range added should be good enough for a 1000 sq ft flat, but that depends on the router-repeater added.

Back