OC & Modding How to optimize air flow inside cabinet?

Hey guys, i bought an Iball Workhorse cabinet..it looks like a clone of the MAC PRO..:eek:hyeah: With my earlier system, i had to keep the side panel open to cool my p4 3.0c ghz ht800 proccy..otherwise the fan rpm wud go beyond 5400 rpm with the cpu hovering around 45C..with the side panel open it wud stay near 39C..

but in the process the system wud gather a lot of dust and worsen the case as the dust wud accumulate on the HSF...

Now with my new system, i want to properly optimize the air flow inside the cabinet so tht i do not have to keep the side panel open..now apart from putting a fan in the front n a fan at teh back panel, what else needs to be done to take care of the air flow..shud i attach fans in the side panel vents?? Wudnt it disturb the flow of air from the front to the back?? Pls help me out..as i am concerned with the heat issue especially since the gfx card will add up to the heat inside..See my sig for my sys specs..

Check this out..

caseairflow.gif

Nice picture....

round vent with a plastic cone in side panel
Its called CHIMNEY. No Fan, else it will throw dust on the CPU+HSF.

back exhaust fan...
as it is iBall cabinet, I think you can install both 80mm and 120mm FAN on it. Get 120mm.

whatever happen don't buy iBall PSU, go for better. I use Colors-IT 450W SMPS with dual fan, 'hawa-in' in bottom and 'hawa-out' at back.

side vent
don't install any fan at the side vents near the motherboard's slot positions.

it will cause throwing dusts to your graphics card and expansion slots like PCI, other PCI-Ex (if you have SLI) etc. causing permanent damage by dust-sealing.

Hope, it helps you :cool2:

Get a few *good* quality fans and install 'em.....use all intakes and exhaust grills . Yes, you can add fans to the PCI vent. Adding a intake fan on the Prescott duct is not recommended if your cooler sucks air out of the heat sink, although a exhaust will help! :)

Adding more fans will lead to dust and noise but it'll bring down the temps... You can DIY filter for the fans using gauze...

iosoft said:
whatever happen don't buy iBall PSU, go for better. I use Colors-IT 450W SMPS with dual fan, 'hawa-in' in bottom and 'hawa-out' at back.

Hehe..i knew what was coming..;) I just bought the iball cabinet..n played safe with a VIP POWERSAFE 400 w smps..:) Iball probably only make their cabinets right..i guess, thts because there aint anything that cud possibly go wrong with the cabinet..;) their PSUs may be a good alternative if you do not have dumbles for exercise but not for powering the most crucial components of ur system..;)

Okay so do u think 2 fans(one in front n one at the back) apart from the cpu n smps fans is good enuf ventilation for the system?? I just dont wanna keep my side panel open..:eek:hyeah:

samrulez said:
Get a few *good* quality fans and install 'em.....use all intakes and exhaust grills . Yes, you can add fans to the PCI vent. Adding a intake fan on the Prescott duct is not recommended if your cooler sucks air out of the heat sink, although a exhaust will help! :)
Adding more fans will lead to dust and noise but it'll bring down the temps... You can DIY filter for the fans using gauze...

One area of concern seems to be the memory slots area...tht is probably the only area where there is no direct cooling since the intake fan sits right at the bottom of the front panel..n the exhaust at the back panel..cpu has its own fan..same goes for psu and also the gfx card..but no such direct cooling for memory..so how is cooling for the memory area achieved?

Private Ryan said:
One area of concern seems to be the memory slots area...tht is probably the only area where there is no direct cooling since the intake fan sits right at the bottom of the front panel..n the exhaust at the back panel..cpu has its own fan..same goes for psu and also the gfx card..but no such direct cooling for memory..so how is cooling for the memory area achieved?

Actually not needed if you do not make it super OC.
Still if you want, install a 80mm FAN (or smaller fan), install it using hard-to-bend wires with the inside cage of the drive-bays and focus it to the RAM :cool2:

iosoft said:
Still if you want, install a 80mm FAN (or smaller fan), install it using hard-to-bend wires with the inside cage of the drive-bays and focus it to the RAM

Wow..simple but ingenious idea...:eek:hyeah:...will try it out..thanks..

I use the same cabby with 80mm local fan and thnx IOSOFT for the super idea

Originally Posted by iosoft
Still if you want, install a 80mm FAN (or smaller fan), install it using hard-to-bend wires with the inside cage of the drive-bays and focus it to the RAM

i have almost completed assembling my new pc..but those psu wirings dangling around is freaking me out..:angry: how do i route it so that it doesnt come in front of the cpu n gfx card..i have already connected my 2 160 gb sata hard disks, the dvdrw and the fans...i just have to route the wires properly now..i have put 2 fans in the front...one big 120mm at the back...(there is only 1 exhaust slot..)

The msi 965 neo has a wierd location for the 24 pin power connector..it sits in the middle of the board below the cpu and tht is why i think it'll obstruct air flow to the cpu..though the wires arent exactly on top of the cpu but are sure on top of the NB...(not touching it..)

so how do i manage the wires above the cpu..?

Back