How to make 4GB or more RAM available on Win7 32 bit

I have AMD quadracore PC with Gig 785 mobo & 4 GB 1600 mhz Corsair ram. I have the original Win7 installed in my PC. But it is not able to use the full ram as it is not 64 bit & hence only 2.75 gb of ram is used.

Please tell how to use full ram on this Win 7 32 bit OS.

re: How to make 4GB or more RAM available on Win7 32 bit

As Dhruv said you just cannot,well think this way can i make a Maruti 800 scream like a Lamborghini Murcielago.

Great find. But can something like that work on xp 32-bit?

You can hack the Windows 7 32bit OS to show 4GB of RAM but it won't help in making it run like 64bit :p

Ask Dan: What's with the 3Gb memory barrier?

3 GB barrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is commonly claimed that 32-bit processors and operating systems are limited to 4 GB of RAM,[1][2] and that this is a primary cause of the "3 GB barrier." This is not a true limit of these processors. Almost all modern x86 processors (from the 1995 Pentium Pro onward) can in fact already address up to 64 GB RAM via physical address extension (PAE).[3] PAE is a modification of the protected mode address translation scheme. It allows virtual or linear addresses to be translated to 36-bit physical addresses, instead of the 32-bit addresses available without PAE.[4] The CPU pinouts likewise provide 36 bits of physical address to the motherboard. [4]

Many x86 operating systems, including any version of Linux with a PAE kernel and some versions of Windows Server, support the use of PAE to address up to 64 GB of RAM on an x86 system.[5][6][7]

Use of PAE to address RAM above the 4 GB point is key to breaking the "3 GB barrier." There are, however, factors that limit this ability, and lead to the "3 GB barrier" under certain circumstances, even though the processor fully supports PAE.

32 bit OS can utilize more than 3.5GB of RAM using PAE...this feature is only available in WIndows Server 2003 x86 Enterprise Edition, Windows Server 2008 x86 Enterprise Edition AFAIK...but as said...these are meant for server...btw why don't you upgrade to x64 OS to completly utilize the RAM...I don't see any harm in that...

Yes I think it is necessary to go in for a 64 bit OS to use the ram fully. THanks for the support.

If i want to update to 64bit o/s will i have to format all my partitions or i have to completely repartition my harddrive ?.

use Dram to google and search as this software allows you to convert the extra ram to a small ssd type drive and then ..........

sorry can't hight the topic as right now iam half a sleep.

plz google it and get all answer for that same :D

hope it may help :)

what u asking for is impossible, as said above 32bit os has a certain limit when it comes to utilisation of ram, therefore, one needs to use a 64 bit o/s which inturn would be faster and will utilise the ram appropriately.

First thing first; how much RAM does your mobo supports; if it is MAX 4 GB than you'll never see it completely as some of it is used for IO mapped and never get used. How much is dependent on what component you have installed.

in this case there is nothing much you can do; my old G41 board from gigabyte shows max 3 GB, an intel G31 shows 3.2x max. So it depends upon mobo.

If it does supports more than 4 GB than,

Restriction of 3.x GB comes as MS observed that few drivers starts crashing if they allow complete 4 GB RAM. Now a typical processor now days can easily access memory more than 4 GB (using more address lines); but the OS is suppose to tell them to do that; which 32 bit windows does if you enable PAE support. This also add some extra burden in page table lookup; plus application can only benefit directly if they use the special API to use PAE; i.e.; AWE in windows.

Your best bet as suggested by many menbers here would be to install a x64 OS,

@paarkhi

Not sure what these guys have hacked in the kernel as by default 32 bit OS executes in virtual 8086 mode and that can not see more than 4 GB physical memory. They might have enable the PAE but not sure.

So if i have to go for 64 bit OS, can i get a trial version of the same from Windows 7 site. I tried searching 64 bit OS on their site, but all in vein. Can anybody help me getting the trial version of it before buying.

if you have original windows 7 32 bit ,you can use the same key for a 64 bit system.install 64 bit windows and enter your 32 bit retail key.

if u don't want to install 64 bits windows then use this software { Dataram_RAMDisk_ } Google for it .

i converts the unused / remaining ram to a ssd type disk where if any software installed then u can get the performance of the ssd / depends on the ram ;)

but it's not a free ware :( but u can try for 2 gb which is in the free version and for more u will have to buy it :)

Back