How to get a BSNL EVDO.

m-jeri

A Nobody.
Skilled
Hi all..

Need to get a BSNL EVDO.

basically i need a UL wireless internet with atleast 1 Mbps for around 1000~1500.
BSNL EVDO alone fits the bill.

Please tell me how to get a connection. Initial costs and all.

If any other ISP is there please let me know.

you can get bsnl Evdo for 550bux a month unlimited if you buy the modem from bsnl.. the modem is 2k.. if you take the modem on rent from bsnl then its 750bux.
550 + 200 as rental + deposit for the modem.

You can get it from any BSNL Customer Service Center. Now they also provide the RUIM based connection.

Sent from my ZTE Blade using Tapatalk

m-jeri said:
how to apply? get one?
Same way you got the BSNL 3g sim. Go to any CSC. Evdo gets active within 24 hours. Modems are awlays in stock at the CSC. Jeri buy the modem, Works out cheaper in the long run than renting it from BSNL.

@varkey..

whats a RUIM thing?

@Others..

I have no idea what this EVDO is. can anyone explain? what all i get with the connection?

Is the EVDO just that usb stick? or is it a modem and u put a sim in it?.. Can i sell it or anything?

constant speeds can be expected?. I just need 1Mbps..if possible.. atleast 512Kbps.. :S...

^^ Its a USB modem similar to your 3g modem but EVDO works on CMDA technology doesnt need a sim, the modem is Slighty thicker but its built very well. Dop it kick it nothing happens to it unlike the umg 1831 :p
Yup once you stop using the EVDO connection you can resell the modem. The new buyer will need to get it reprogrammed at the BSNL CSD. They do this for BSNL modems.

speeds 512k Minimum.. you can expect 1 - 1.5mbps on good nights :p

RE-programme meaning?

I have a seller from kerala intd in selling his evdo. so i just need to get that modem r8?.

And what should i do in mysore?

And how is the billing/recharge works?

Guys, how is the speed in Whitefield, Bangalore? One of my friends plans on buying this and was wondering if you get good speeds in Whitefield...

Evdo doesnt work like a sim. Lets just say that its got a small chip that stores your details in it like a unique ID/Device number given to you by bsnl.

The bsnl CSD will reprogram your evdo modem for you. Yup just get the modem. Make sure its a BSNL EVDO modem. They are usually unwilling to reprogram non bsnl modems.
Billing cycle is post post paid.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Fahrenheit said:
Guys, how is the speed in Whitefield, Bangalore? One of my friends plans on buying this and was wondering if you get good speeds in Whitefield...
1-1.5 mbps most of the time. outskirts less peple > better speeds

Sandy said:
Evdo doesnt work like a sim. Lets just say that its got a small chip that stores your details in it like a unique ID/Device number given to you by bsnl.

The bsnl CSD will reprogram your evdo modem for you. Yup just get the modem. Make sure its a BSNL EVDO modem. They are usually unwilling to reprogram non bsnl modems
Now its available as Sim also. You can just insert the Sim into the modem. Programming won't be necessary.

Can't find that page now, will update once im back on PC.

Its also available in prepaid.

Edit : Found it http://blog.smartbuzz.in/bsnl-launched-evdo-enabled-ruim-card-with-all-india-roaming

Sent from my ZTE Blade using Tapatalk

@m-jeri : EVDO is CDMA based, the modem is like USB stick. The speeds are good if there are less users in your tower area.

Only problem is pathetic upload speeds, so if your usage is heavy uploading then you stay away from it.

Depending upon your exchange you need to purchase a new modem already programmed or you need to purchase a SIM and modem.

You can use second hand modem also you need to reprogram it only according to your exchange, any CSC will help you do it.

I used for a long period time till this december. Now I switched to 3G to use better uploads. The browsing was never a problem on EVDO so was HTTP downloading, only thing which sucks is torrents.

And btw, if you need a modem I can sell you mine, but first you need to confirm will your exchange reprogram it for you, and you do get good signal of EVDO at your place.

Go to a CSC and request for EVDO demo at your place, so that before purchase you are sure you have a good signal at your place.

My only advice

before so buy a second hand BSNL EVDO modem please take a NOC from seller

Without it they might not activate it

first hand experience when got one ZTE modem activated

Check from your exchange if they are giving RUIM

If they are then got to ebay.com and select some good modem with external antenna port

cheaper than 2500 INR of BSNL like this

NEW! 3G USB EVDO Wireless card/ Modem CDMA2000 1x R-VIM - eBay (item 320658845147 end time Mar-19-11 11:20:50 PDT)

Its just an example their are better modems available

Duty is 0 or 4% and use aramex in 1700 INR you would have a modem of your choice

If not chinese then check verizon modem as they use CDMA in US

and for unlocking check this forum . , , , ...

I have ordered sierra wireless ac595U

I also have my eye on Pantech UMW190

you can use CDMA EVDO and 3G GSM both in one device

unlock.dp.ua haven't got the unlock ready otherwise would have ordered that

VERIZON UMW190 UMW 190 WIRELESS USB MODEM EVDO REV-A - eBay (item 290542766871 end time Mar-14-11 20:10:48 PDT)

UMW190 UMW 190 Verizon USB AIRCARD - eBay (item 330539479809 end time Mar-10-11 10:16:15 PST)

Pc mag has very good reviews of CDMA modems pls see that its under their cellular modem reviews

If you dont want to spend money but want good modem try Pantech UM150

dirt cheap with all goodies

Verizon Wireless UM150 USB Broadband Modem - eBay (item 150573277728 end time Apr-05-11 09:52:04 PDT)

$13 only from a Top-rated seller you can try that

also available on amazon for 15$

Amazon.com: Verizon Wireless UM150 USB Modem EVDO 3G Air Card Rev A: Electronics

If no ebay.com try GEB they have all these modem

Please do your research before buying

dont held me responsible if it doesnt work or you BSNL exchange is not ready to program it

and get something which has external antenna

Hope it helps

sorry for such along post

Mate.. thats a very helpful post.

NOC meaning, a written letter?

So i should go and ask the CSC if they reprogramme r8?

The modems can be used only if they give RUIM r8?

I have no idea of these modems to be used in EVDO. thanks for the headsup. will read more.

so in case of RUIM i just need to get that RUIM thing? nothing else?

m-jeri said:
Mate.. thats a very helpful post.

NOC meaning, a written letter?

Yes NO OBJECTION CERTIFICATE from seller from whom you bought it

it might be stolen or bills not paid

[/QUOTE]So i should go and ask the CSC if they reprogramme r8?[/QUOTE]

Yes ask them if they will reprogram if you get a modem other than BSNL modem

[/QUOTE]The modems can be used only if they give RUIM r8? [/QUOTE]

No first one from the chinese seller uses RUIM no asking any BSNL guy just get a RUIM put it in and you are on

[/QUOTE]I have no idea of these modems to be used in EVDO. thanks for the headsup. will read more.[/QUOTE]

other options which i gave 595U , UM150 are program based modems

[/QUOTE]so in case of RUIM i just need to get that RUIM thing? nothing else?[/QUOTE]

yes

my favorite choice would be UMW 190 if unlock has come

3G GSM and EVDO both in one device

awesome isnt it

If you dont want to risk too much then get UMW 150 25$ shipped to your place

All EVDO rev A modem are generally same and depends on signal and all those things for good speeds

(somebody please tell me how to answer to each individual line with my answer , couldnt get it going )

one bottle of cheap liquor or cash or kind with the programming software will get it working

Moral police guys please dont come on me for giving that bottle ....

Heeheheh..

okay. anyways that BSNL guy have took my address. let him come.

Oh, Missing my own home and the ease of telling address and getting stuff done. This PG stuff is like eek for me. :|

Back