How to ensure AC installation is correct?

I am about to buy an AC and a common statement that run was that AC installtion should be perfect. Many reviews on amazon and FK had bad ratings for the product because the installation was not done correctly either by the Vendor or the company personnel.

So how can I ensure that installation is being done properly?

The user manual from the manufacturer is very detailed on the steps for a proper installation. If you can download a copy off the internet you should be set.

thanks for the suggestion. I shall do just that when I order.
I visited the stores like Pai, RelianceDigital etc. They claim that they are the one point of contact for any service and installation. Only when I insisted that I want company technicians to handle the installation, they agreed after taking time.

Basically, read up on the net about AC installation. And when they are installing it, stand on the top of their heads and monitor it. They exercise stupid things like:

1. Hammer in nails instead of bolt down screws.
2. Create unnecessary bends in the pipes/wires rather then spend time and route them correctly.
3. Leave gaps in the windows -- if window AC and say: this much is fine, cold air will not leak out.
4. Miss out connecting the Earth Pins.
5. Manhandle the unit roughly and throw it around.
6. When mounting the stabilizer at times do not use plastic pins to secure the bolts or strong enough ones.
7. Treat your house hold fixtures roughly and carelessly.
8. Power the unit on an incorrect amperage socket.

Basically mostly installers are a bunch of unqualified technicians with a load of 5-6 installation per day. They rush the job, and exit in a blazing glory. Leaving you to deal with the after math.

4. Miss out connecting the Earth Pins.
8. Power the unit on an incorrect amperage socket..

How do I ensure these two?
Are earth pins something technicians out to bring with themselves?
There is a single 3-pin big socket put for AC near the ceiling in the bedroom by the apartment builder?How do I find if it is of correct amperage?

Last edited:
Adding to the topic, How much will ac installation cost? on an average? They're quoting me ~3k for installation out of which 1500 is service charge

Adding to the topic, How much will ac installation cost? on an average? They're quoting me ~3k for installation out of which 1500 is service charge
I was quoted 1500rs for installation, 300rs for travelling (I am in a remote location) and 600rs/meter copper pipe

How do I ensure these two?
Are earth pins something technicians out to bring with themselves?
There is a single 3-pin big socket put for AC near the ceiling in the bedroom by the apartment builder?How do I find if it is of correct amperage?

That socket should be fine. It is probably 16A. When they hook up the stabilizer and AC wiring, make sure they connect the GREEN colored wires. That is universal color code for EARTH here in India.

That socket should be fine. It is probably 16A. When they hook up the stabilizer and AC wiring, make sure they connect the GREEN colored wires. That is universal color code for EARTH here in India.
all 3 wires in my home are black :p

I was quoted 1500rs for installation, 300rs for travelling (I am in a remote location) and 600rs/meter copper pipe
For me installation (for hitachi people) is 500rs. Apart from that, the socket and wires and service charge of electrician comes around 2.5k.

How do the electricians differentiate between Neutral and Earth then...?
I have no idea sir.
For me installation (for hitachi people) is 500rs. Apart from that, the socket and wires and service charge of electrician comes around 2.5k.
wow that electrician is charging is too much

interesting. I am paying high installation charge but less electrician fee. For me its 1500 (+300) for AC and 500rs for electrician, but obviously I have to pay for socket, button and all.

I am getting that big 5 pin socket, a fuse and a button.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have no idea sir.

wow that electrician is charging is too much

interesting. I am paying high installation charge but less electrician fee. For me its 1500 (+300) for AC and 500rs for electrician, but obviously I have to pay for socket, button and all.

I am getting that big 5 pin socket, a fuse and a button.
Bargained with two electricians and got the wiring done for 1k. Total wires (22mts) plus mcb plus ac box cost me 2100rs.

So total it cost me Installation (500)+ electrician (1000) + materials (2100)= 3.6k rupees.

So I have very thick wall (30ft, built with stones, not bricks) so its difficult to put a whole. If I try to take the copper pipe via existing window, then it will be 9-10 meters of copper pipe. Having such long pipe can cause any issue with AC or performance?

Back