CPU/Mobo How to clean desktops, or wash it.

Rockfella

Playing BFV
ex-Mod
A friend's 6 year old HP desktop's PSU finally gave up, so I was the one to rescue. First I had to make sure it was the PSU which died nothing else so I connected the tower with my corsair vs350 and it booted. Post that my itch to clean it took off..

Some "before" pics

On arrival:

1zqvc5s.jpg

Testing:

121v7zn.jpg

Dismantling:

icn7gw.jpg

97snfb.jpg

2jax6p4.jpg

2rwnedf.jpg

w7j22s.jpg

Cleaning:

sqma14.jpg

2093h8w.jpg

2wexhc5.jpg

241ront.jpg

15u634.jpg

Foxconn mainboard:

2m35nd1.jpg

nct52.jpg

2u7o8kg.jpg

154yq7b.jpg

Old CMOS battery was dead so got new:

a0e71j.jpg

New PSU (I ordered VS350, they probably had no stock so shipped VS450 for the price of 350!)

24dgaah.jpg

ipz5at.jpg

Assembled:

k0sppy.jpg

Front audio/USB ports tested fine.

309hgdi.jpg

All sleeved cables:

2up74li.jpg

It was fun. Next time I will remove all heatsinks/jumpers possible from the motherboard pre-washing.

PS: Yes, it booted the first time, zero issues. I kept it under the sun for 5/6 hours before powering it up.

Last edited:
I never knew motherboards can be washed. :)

I once washed my keyboard and left it to dry but dad plugged it in without it drying and some keys died out. Had to replace it.

Can you share a link for the battery

http://www.shopclues.com/cr2032-max...9Dzr5-nr4I73ssGSVZdQihoCIFbw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I got one for Rs. 50. These are 5. Ask locally for Maxell CR2032.[DOUBLEPOST=1455134356][/DOUBLEPOST]
I never knew motherboards can be washed. :)

I once washed my keyboard and left it to dry but dad plugged it in without it drying and some keys died out. Had to replace it.
IMO lot of things can be washed but they need to be dried properly before being used again.

Nice !! Didn't we had such a competition on TE some years back?

btw, didn't know MoBo's are be washable.

(Can I machine wash it or hand wash is recommended !! :p )

Last edited:
Seriously, you have soaked the motherboard in water. May i know the cleaning agent used, whether soap oil ,soap or anything like surf ?. Wont the motherboard get damaged by the chemicals in these detergents ?.

so that bahu who washed that laptop on a TV soap was right all along !
she definitely fried that laptop because the battery was still attached. don't know what happens to hermetically sealed HDD in water.

i too wash my computers with water... far too speedy and thorough than dusting every nook and corner.

she definitely fried that laptop because the battery was still attached. don't know what happens to hermetically sealed HDD in water.

i too wash my computers with water... far too speedy and thorough than dusting every nook and corner.
I don't wash hard drives, psu, optical drives and the cpu. Rest all goes in the tub.

when i was in school i sometimes used to using a brush and blower open cpu door and clean everyything inside as i thought it would make it faster and play all the games. lol
thanks for the thread op

Washed the motherboard by soaking it in soap water? Seriously? Never knew we could do that, was planning to tell you to use some Isopropyl Alcohol and stuff, but bleh. Soap water FTW.

Back