How realistic is it for someone to leave his job and take a sabbatical for a few months?

letmein

Skilled
For someone working in India. In the US recruiters don't care much. I am assuming you'll be automatically blacklisted by Indian recruiters if they see more than a month's gap on your resume.

Been working in my domain for 6+ years. Thinking about taking some time off and travelling.

For someone working in India. In the US recruiters don't care much. I am assuming you'll be automatically blacklisted by Indian recruiters if they see more than a month's gap on your resume.

Been working in my domain for 6+ years. Thinking about taking some time off and travelling.

I heard while joining in present company, one need to produce some affidavit if having more than 2 months gap.
Anyway many companies do background verification.

BTW, without leaving, cannot the leave be taken as Loss of pay or something?

It depends on how good you are.
If you are really good at what you do, companies overlook that kind of thing.
You should able to justify why and current generation do understand.
It also mandates that you keep your skills updated even on leave.
On your resume, an extended leave can do you as much good as working on a dead end job.
Unless you can show u are still good, both are a waste and held against you.
Google "aravind iyer sabbatical". A colleague of mine who has taken a sabbatical and has wrote about his experience in multiple pieces.

Unless one has medical conditions, institutions don't offer a month leave for anyone in India.

That may be the norm for typical services sector companies in India, but does not apply to all companies.

There are several companies that allow sabbaticals for non-medical reasons. For example, my last work place allowed long leave (2 years) for higher studies as long as employee had been working for at least 2 years by that time and would also be willing to give them a different role when they come back depending on the situation. There are people at my current work place who went on 3-6 month sabbaticals due different personal situations. It is not part of the official policies, but requests like that are entertained based on the situation.

Gaps in employment is also not such a big problem as long as you have the skills. In fact, at least in some companies, people with an employment gap have a better chance of getting employment than those with a short tenures at every place they worked.

It depends on company to company. I would suggest to speak. For example, those who are giving CA/other exams - they allow to take time off. In your case, you need to present your condition as burnout.

I am too planning to do the same, take a 1-2 month. sabbatical.

To clarify, I was talking about leaving my existing job, taking a few months off, then (hopefully) finding and starting a new job.

Varies with the profession you are in. I am a doctor, working in private health sector. In 2015, had a total meltdown and took 4 months off and travelled all across Europe, it has changed my life forever, and yes I still have the job.
But even if I didn't, that break was needed

To clarify, I was talking about leaving my existing job, taking a few months off, then (hopefully) finding and starting a new job.

hope you have a backup plan first. do not leave your job unless you have enough funds saved to last you 2-3 years based on your current monthly expenditure.

try talking to hr and ask for unpaid 1-2 months leave. just say you want to travel india once in your life. probably they will allow if you are an asset to your company.

Depends on few things. How old are you? And whats your line of work?

28. I was into audit, now I have transitioned to risk.

hope you have a backup plan first. do not leave your job unless you have enough funds saved to last you 2-3 years based on your current monthly expenditure.

try talking to hr and ask for unpaid 1-2 months leave. just say you want to travel india once in your life. probably they will allow if you are an asset to your company.

Yes, thankfully the funds part is taken care of. I should manage for 3 years. Considering I'll save on commuting and the ocassional eating out at work, my monthly expenses may even come down.

While I have no problems with the work culture at my company, I don't see much scope for growth here hence the desire to change. But before that, I do need some time off to clear my mind. I don't want to ask for unpaid leave, since it'd look very unprofessional if I take some time off, then resign once I rejoin

Taking a gap between two jobs is not unheard of. And I guess most employers would be understanding instead of bothering you with hundreds of question.

I even suggest, you can filter employers if they ask too many questions about your break. :D

You mean an LWP...?

No as in a gap between two jobs. I don't want to take LWP as I don't see myself continuing in my current job for long.

Many employers see it as: You were fired, but did not have a job. Versus the truth: that you wanted time off. It is risky in India, since hiring and corporate culture is quite archaic and historical. You will have to give explanations [which is fine for interviews], but will the new employer buy it, or just say "not enough skill set"; "not qualified", and drop your candidature.

Employers who want to go into details just verify it as part of the background check process. Most employers don't really care about it. These are all secondary concerns if they are looking for people who can work and not just to increase the head count.

It is highly unlikely that they will reject somebody even if they think they got laid off/fired from their earlier job. At worst, it might be used as a bargaining chip during salary negotiations and that itself is a warning trigger that the company thinks that you are would be valuable, but wants to hire you for cheap if they can. Not a good place to be in and you might as well avoid

Many employers see it as: You were fired, but did not have a job. Versus the truth: that you wanted time off. It is risky in India, since hiring and corporate culture is quite archaic and historical. You will have to give explanations [which is fine for interviews], but will the new employer buy it, or just say "not enough skill set"; "not qualified", and drop your candidature.
One of the best ways to keep future employers in the know-how of your skill is to keep a updated linked-in profile with testimonials from colleagues and also to have a few references who can vouch for you at all times.

Doesnt matter if you want to take a break for a month or year. I took 2yrs break 3 yrs ago. Wanted to start something different but that Wanted thing always kept wanted. Nothing happened for 18 months until my school buddy contacted me for a startup and rest was history.
I left his biz after an yr to come back to my IT and there wasn't any issue with hiring either. Just be confident and have valid reasons thats it!
If its medical condition then co might ask to provide reports etc so dont hesitate.
Again trying to take a break for few months lets see.

Btw in IT such breaks are very much necessary to rejuvenate and kick back.

Back