Android How much improvement in speed after rooting a phone ?

Mr India

Disciple
have a Samsung S3 that is quite slow nowdays and i cant even put basic apps like fb, skype , viber etc as they hog too much ram etc and make phone laggy. i cant afford a new phone till 2-3 months atleast .Someone suggested rooting it as touchwiz takes up lot of ram etc. Is the suggestion good ? if yes which is the fastest and stable ROM to use. by what percentage speed can improve by rooting ? atleast 20% ???

Smashit is flooded with its own bloatware. Rooting just wont help. You need to root using cynogen mod if its available for your model. Then it will be relatively fast and clutter free. So no clutter means max performance.

You can definitely notice an improvement in speed and battery after installing a custom ROM + Kernel.. My roommate did root and flashed his S3 few months back.. Its still rocking..

I used a rooted Galaxy S3 for about an year. The difference is noticeable. However you will have to install a Custom ROM for some real advantage. I tried many ROMs but settled for archidroid for its stability and speed. I recommend that you avoid facebook app too. Rooting the phone turned it from "Hard to use" to "fun to use".

Last edited:
If you want to keep tw rom , you must root your phone and install titanium backup . It will enable you to remove all Samsung / Google bloatware you don't need .
Hope it helps .

im willing to do everything. someone told to get cynogenmod. Afterputting a cynogen ROM i gotta install some launcher in it for best result ?[DOUBLEPOST=1448042063][/DOUBLEPOST]
I used a rooted Galaxy S3 for about an year. The difference is noticeable. However you will have to install a Custom ROM for some real advantage. I tried many ROMs but settled for archidroid for its stability and speed. I recommend that you avoid facebook app too. Rooting the phone turned it from "Hard to use" to "fun to use".
which version should i download of rom n launcher ?[DOUBLEPOST=1448042103][/DOUBLEPOST]
You can definitely notice an improvement in speed and battery after installing a custom ROM + Kernel.. My roommate did root and flashed his S3 few months back.. Its still rocking..
can u ask him which version to download of which rom ?

Liquidsmooth rom along with boeffla kernel..
However I suggest you to first root the device then install liquidsmooth.. use for some days, if unsatisfied with performance go for the custom kernel

Just use the latest stable version. Once you have a recovery set up you will surely try several ROMs to see which suits you. For launcher I really recommend "smart launcher".

Just use the latest stable version. Once you have a recovery set up you will surely try several ROMs to see which suits you. For launcher I really recommend "smart launcher".
guys my phone is stuck in download mode . i tried steps as on the cynogen page but its not working

the phone is in download mode i guess and is saying downloading do not turn off target. . what to do ????? plz help[DOUBLEPOST=1448111440][/DOUBLEPOST]
Liquidsmooth rom along with boeffla kernel..
However I suggest you to first root the device then install liquidsmooth.. use for some days, if unsatisfied with performance go for the custom kernel
he phone is in download mode i guess and is saying downloading do not turn off target. . what to do ????? plz helpme[DOUBLEPOST=1448111715][/DOUBLEPOST]ok its back on after i pulled the battery out. im trying to install using this url https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_i9300 i reach step 7 but no blue transfer bar comes[DOUBLEPOST=1448117721][/DOUBLEPOST]http://wccftech.com/install-cm102-stable-build-android-43-jelly-bean-samsung-galaxy-s3-i9300/ using this link have installed cm 11 which is based on android 4.4 on my s3. setting up phone now[DOUBLEPOST=1448118862][/DOUBLEPOST]getting cell broadcas msgs again and again after installing the cm rom. what to do ? hope they are not getting charged to me[DOUBLEPOST=1448119077][/DOUBLEPOST]
IMG-20151121-00004.jpg
IMG-20151121-00005.jpg

Last edited:
wow. feels like a new phone , nice big icons and great speed ! whatsapp also all msgs restored. i like how screen gets off now. like a old tv , haha[DOUBLEPOST=1448120679][/DOUBLEPOST]
you can disable them. there'll be an option somewhere.
i put a diff sim and they dint come then. now again coming after i put my old sim . what to do ?

Last edited:
i disabled all but still got them. anyway even whatsapp had bugs that i cudnt send whatsapp pics etc. downloaded cm10.2 which is 4.3.1. now working good and problems fixed.
Was there no newer version?
What is your RAM usage now?

Yeah I just visited my old note n7000 site on XDA and there were tons of marshmallow based alpha roms. I am sure s3 will have a stable cm12.1 based rom..

even the cm10.2 has many bugs. browser crashes a lot spe illy. just phone noe is faster than samsung touch wix so il keep it. more free ram too

I would like to clear some misconceptions here. Rooting a phone does not make a phone faster. It just gives you a higher privilege of removing any or everything on your phone - like a administrator on a windows desktop. However rooting does have its benefits like you can remove system apps which one does not normally use freeing up some valuable space.
As per users asking for more free RAM, according to android philosophy, RAM free, is RAM wasted. So by default the kernel tries to keep all the apps in RAM once they are started. If they are already in RAM, showing them when required is faster, resulting in a better user experience. But, all phones do not have unlimited RAM. So next time when a user tries to open up a app, which is not in RAM and there is not sufficient RAM available, the kernel decides of closing the app which is already open in RAM but least used.When this happens, a lag may be observed. So do not worry if the free RAM is less. Its just the kernel trying to give you the best user experience
This leads to another common misconception, clearing apps by using task managers and battery savers. All this will do is the kernel will again start all the apps. This will result in higher battery drain since the processor will have to wake up for starting all the apps. Also the phone will experience lag till the time all necessary apps open again.

I would like to clear some misconceptions here. Rooting a phone does not make a phone faster. It just gives you a higher privilege of removing any or everything on your phone - like a administrator on a windows desktop. However rooting does have its benefits like you can remove system apps which one does not normally use freeing up some valuable space.
As per users asking for more free RAM, according to android philosophy, RAM free, is RAM wasted. So by default the kernel tries to keep all the apps in RAM once they are started. If they are already in RAM, showing them when required is faster, resulting in a better user experience. But, all phones do not have unlimited RAM. So next time when a user tries to open up a app, which is not in RAM and there is not sufficient RAM available, the kernel decides of closing the app which is already open in RAM but least used.When this happens, a lag may be observed. So do not worry if the free RAM is less. Its just the kernel trying to give you the best user experience
This leads to another common misconception, clearing apps by using task managers and battery savers. All this will do is the kernel will again start all the apps. This will result in higher battery drain since the processor will have to wake up for starting all the apps. Also the phone will experience lag till the time all necessary apps open again.
10/10. You should write a guide for us dummies please. Thanks.[DOUBLEPOST=1448602266][/DOUBLEPOST]I understand the rooting part. But kernal knowledge is a double egg! I've always thought that more free RAM is always good. I actually wouldn't mind if free RAM is 100MB as long as I don't experience any system slowdown/lag. But I don't use apps like battery saver, speedbooster etc. <-do they really even help? I never trusted such apps.

10/10. You should write a guide for us dummies please. Thanks.[DOUBLEPOST=1448602266][/DOUBLEPOST]I understand the rooting part. But kernal knowledge is a double egg! I've always thought that more free RAM is always good. I actually wouldn't mind if free RAM is 100MB as long as I don't experience any system slowdown/lag. But I don't use apps like battery saver, speedbooster etc. <-do they really even help? I never trusted such apps.
Battery savers and task killers will generally do more harm then good. The kernel tries to start the app, the task killer closes it, kernel again tries to start the app, task killer again closes it. This whole exercise will become counter intuitive because all this will do is will create higher processor usage even when the screen is off. So in General they are not needed. However, they might be good for rogue apps which wake up the phone just to through advertisements like sub way surfer, makemytrip, paytm, flipkart snapdeal etc. etc. One might think to use greenify and hibernate them so that they dont periodically wake up the phone just to fetch a advt. For other apps which do provide a exit button, use them instead of pressing the home button

Back