How ISPs work?

Bumping this.

How much do CPE devices typically cost? Say for a single-device wireless router/cpe? One of my local ISP is charging 4800rs. Total cost for first time reg is around 6800rs with one-month fee. I don't remember paying this much for an internet connection.
Btw 1mbps is going for 1200rs, 2mbps for 2200rs. But the good thing is I heard from a friend that he gets very good latency like 80-90ms when playing online games like Dota2.
Just wanted to see pros views on this.
Also I tried to get more details about their main parent ISP (remember the largest ISP here is bsnl and their services for non-govt is shit) but they wouldn't give out any information. Is it such a confidential thing? Private ISP services and quality is much better but comes at an extremely high cost.
I would happily support any other better ISP if it was available. Anyone interested in opening one here? :D

I don't game so latency isn't an issue for me, but i get a no-fup 10mbps connection for Rs. 1414 / 90 days. Longer validity packs are even cheaper. And YT/cached torrents come in at up to 10M which is close to the physical limit of 100mbps. All this over a 2-pair ethernet cable plugged straight into my wifi router, and wired to my PC. Using around 1TB/month. No CPE/ GPON ONT/ONU.

So my question is why would any individual need more than this?[DOUBLEPOST=1529296000][/DOUBLEPOST]p.s. my isp is http://mach1broadband.com/

shifted from i-on ~3 months ago. and they both suck because they have multiple NATs. But the speed makes up for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bumping this.

How much do CPE devices typically cost? Say for a single-device wireless router/cpe? One of my local ISP is charging 4800rs. Total cost for first time reg is around 6800rs with one-month fee. I don't remember paying this much for an internet connection.
Btw 1mbps is going for 1200rs, 2mbps for 2200rs. But the good thing is I heard from a friend that he gets very good latency like 80-90ms when playing online games like Dota2.
Just wanted to see pros views on this.
Also I tried to get more details about their main parent ISP (remember the largest ISP here is bsnl and their services for non-govt is shit) but they wouldn't give out any information. Is it such a confidential thing? Private ISP services and quality is much better but comes at an extremely high cost.
I would happily support any other better ISP if it was available. Anyone interested in opening one here? :D

Which CPE devices? Are these RF devices?

If that cost is per month, its quite high.

What details do you want to know about?

I don't game so latency isn't an issue for me, but i get a no-fup 10mbps connection for Rs. 1414 / 90 days. Longer validity packs are even cheaper. And YT/cached torrents come in at up to 10M which is close to the physical limit of 100mbps. All this over a 2-pair ethernet cable plugged straight into my wifi router, and wired to my PC. Using around 1TB/month. No CPE/ GPON ONT/ONU.

So my question is why would any individual need more than this?[DOUBLEPOST=1529296000][/DOUBLEPOST]p.s. my isp is http://mach1broadband.com/

shifted from i-on ~3 months ago. and they both suck because they have multiple NATs. But the speed makes up for it.

I believe you should check with speedtest with USA servers, or try downloading a file from a server/ASN that's not in the peering arrangements. My friend was given a 100Mb connection and was fooled by Mach1 (they speedtested to their local server). I showed him how to check :p

Why would someone need more than 10Mb? Because they might use more than that, as a family. We used to use 1Mbps about 2-3 years back. Messages used to take time to load and when watching something it used to buffer. Now, on 10Mb, I don't see these issues plus peering has come in, leading to better speeds.

At the end of the day, broadband has become cheap. Even dedicated lines are becoming cheaper - I just took a cheap 10Mb leased line for 1 lac/year (cheapest I could get) for mailing/backup link at my office.

Which CPE devices? Are these RF devices?
I have no idea. They only say "CPE" nothing else.
If that cost is per month, its quite high.
The CPE cost is one-time thing. I don't know if it's rent or already paid for. They didn't tell me when I asked. The actual internet monthly fees start from following month. The first payment of 6800rs include everything including the internet fee for the first month.
What details do you want to know about?
Costs of the cpe devices, if they are of different types then approximate costs (in the cities) for each type. I have to know.

Last edited:
I believe you should check with speedtest with USA servers, or try downloading a file from a server/ASN that's not in the peering arrangements. My friend was given a 100Mb connection and was fooled by Mach1 (they speedtested to their local server). I showed him how to check :p

Why would someone need more than 10Mb? Because they might use more than that, as a family. We used to use 1Mbps about 2-3 years back. Messages used to take time to load and when watching something it used to buffer. Now, on 10Mb, I don't see these issues plus peering has come in, leading to better speeds.

At the end of the day, broadband has become cheap. Even dedicated lines are becoming cheaper - I just took a cheap 10Mb leased line for 1 lac/year (cheapest I could get) for mailing/backup link at my office.

C'mon man, i know how to test speeds! :p

I don't rely on speedtest etc. just actual downloads. as I said on the peering n/w it could be as high as 10MB/s, normal downloads are at a constant 1.2MB/s which is 9.6mbps. It's about the same as the ssv/i-on connection, just a little cheaper. service may be like 5% worse. I'm actually surprised how quick they are to resolve issues. they're serious about beating ssv and making it.

C'mon man, i know how to test speeds! :p

I don't rely on speedtest etc. just actual downloads. as I said on the peering n/w it could be as high as 10MB/s, normal downloads are at a constant 1.2MB/s which is 9.6mbps. It's about the same as the ssv/i-on connection, just a little cheaper. service may be like 5% worse. I'm actually surprised how quick they are to resolve issues. they're serious about beating ssv and making it.

Great, because I was skeptical as hell about them.

I switched to WNET here in Ghatkopar, and initially had the same issues, my connection would behave weirdly at times. For an unrelated issue, I decided to change my 740N, which apparently was dying, and voila speeds back to great.[DOUBLEPOST=1529411945][/DOUBLEPOST]@iPwnz What?

Last edited:
Oops. Edited my post. It should be:
I have no idea. They only say "CPE" nothing else.

The CPE cost is one-time thing. I don't know if it's rent or already paid for. They didn't tell me when I asked. The actual internet monthly fees start from following month. The first payment of 6800rs include everything including the internet fee for the first month.

Costs of the cpe devices, if they are of different types then approximate costs (in the cities) for each type. I have to know.

Oops. Edited my post. It should be:

Ah, this is a tricky part. Depends on your ISP.

For most ISPs they charge an installation fee - usually non refundable. This covers the device that they give you. But if you cancel the connection, then the device is taken back, and the wiring is left.

For GPON devices, I think they won't cost more than 1K-2K INR. @dheerajjotwani has bought them, so he should know the cost.

For media converters, not more than 750-1K INR.

For RF devices, most devices used are the cheaper ones which are less than 7K a pair. These are 150Mb links, but cannot exceed 80-90Mb because they are passive PoE devices, hence limited to 2 pairs (CAT5/6) and hence limited to 100Mb max.

For DOCSIS devices, you cannot judge the cost since you cannot buy them from the market in retail, but I am sure they dont cost more than 1K.

Great, because I was skeptical as hell about them.

I switched to WNET here in Ghatkopar, and initially had the same issues, my connection would behave weirdly at times. For an unrelated issue, I decided to change my 740N, which apparently was dying, and voila speeds back to great.[DOUBLEPOST=1529411945][/DOUBLEPOST]@iPwnz What?

I had used wnet in nerul back in 2013-14 before ssv and they were much better than them. Cheaper and the night speeds were double (2M vs 1M). Had YT/Google caching but not much for torrents.

Are ISP's in India ok with customer putting there own GPON ONU? In the US doing this is not allowed since the ISP wants a compatible device to their OLT.

Depends on your ISP, but I believe it is allowed here. Syscon/Joister had told me that they would support for dedicated lines.

For RF devices, most devices used are the cheaper ones which are less than 7K a pair. These are 150Mb links, but cannot exceed 80-90Mb because they are passive PoE devices, hence limited to 2 pairs (CAT5/6) and hence limited to 100Mb max.
If the highest plan which they can offer is, say, 10mbps won't that mean that they would get something which will just be good enough for it?

If the highest plan which they can offer is, say, 10mbps won't that mean that they would get something which will just be good enough for it?

Actually, now a days, that is the minimum in the market, and that too is being phased out for GbE devices. So your device can perform more than 10Mb.

However, on the receiver end, the ISP may share one RF device for more than one connection. This is possible since some of the devices have an adjustable beam width - upto 90 and 120 degrees vs range, hence they can setup 3-4 of these and cover a smaller area. Hence, it best you check it out.

Actually, now a days, that is the minimum in the market, and that too is being phased out for GbE devices. So your device can perform more than 10Mb.

However, on the receiver end, the ISP may share one RF device for more than one connection. This is possible since some of the devices have an adjustable beam width - upto 90 and 120 degrees vs range, hence they can setup 3-4 of these and cover a smaller area. Hence, it best you check it out.
I tried to get some info but couldn't. The ISP didn't reply anymore. And when I asked someone, who is a subscriber, to get me some pics of the devices he told me they're placed on top of the building and it's too high for him to go there just to get some pics. Sigh. Nevertheless I'll still try. It's making me feel uneasy.

I tried to get some info but couldn't. The ISP didn't reply anymore. And when I asked someone, who is a subscriber, to get me some pics of the devices he told me they're placed on top of the building and it's too high for him to go there just to get some pics. Sigh. Nevertheless I'll still try. It's making me feel uneasy.

Uneasy about what? Just ensure you are getting the speeds you need. It is the ISPs duty to get you the speeds. And if you ever have issues, just complain.[DOUBLEPOST=1530206837][/DOUBLEPOST]
A village in Mandi district of Himachal Pradesh.

What is the ISP? Nitya something?

Back