How is the Netgear R7000 ?

Sorry! But what is hardware NAT acceleration? & what is NAT? I tried reading wiki, but could not understand as to what purpose it serves?
For me reason for Tomato Shibby was simple installation & set up. Earlier I had Asus RT-N13U-B1. Installing & configuring DD-wrt was nightmare (I had no computer background). Openwrt was some what easier to configure, but still difficult. Especially when it comes to mounting hard disk.
As compared to that Tomato Shibby is breeze. Mounting Hard Disk was really easy.
Network address translation is the basic job of a router. It moves packets from one network to another with the lowest latency and maximum throughput. Typically this is measured in wan to lan throughput measured in mbps. With stock firmware, one gets roughly 1.4gbps both ways combined. On open source firmware, this drops to 400mbps. Of course all this is moot only if your wan connection can actually do over 100mbps.

R7000 is pretty good. Using for a month now without any problem. The range is average though. As for the R7500, the reviews are not that good.

I got the R7000 from Amazon. Whats the perfect setup for this? I want to put this in my home office. Right now the router is one floor above. But I want to put this at the center of the office and use it as a file server along with Internet where the automated scheduled backup can backup the files. Over FTP or something.
I have a BSNL broadband connection 1Mbps UL. I want to attach a USB3 portable of 1TB that I already have. I got great speeds on the USB3 file transfer when I tried it with a pendrive. Any help?

One sad part is that the place where i'll put it has no power back up. Any suggestions for that?

Would also be interested in a restricted access point with the same router where I can block social media and some other websites for employees. Or atleast would like that option ready just in case.

I got the R7000 from Amazon. Whats the perfect setup for this? I want to put this in my home office. Right now the router is one floor above. But I want to put this at the center of the office and use it as a file server along with Internet where the automated scheduled backup can backup the files. Over FTP or something.
I have a BSNL broadband connection 1Mbps UL. I want to attach a USB3 portable of 1TB that I already have. I got great speeds on the USB3 file transfer when I tried it with a pendrive. Any help?

One sad part is that the place where i'll put it has no power back up. Any suggestions for that?

Ideally a central high location is the best for a router. Put it at the highest point in the house where it has line of sight with as much of the house as possible. Buy a cheap UPS for power backup. Any cheap 1500 rupee unit will do. Modern routers are essentially low powered computers and like them do not like a hard shutdown when power goes out. It is best if they are never rebooted or turned off.

Ideally a central high location is the best for a router. Put it at the highest point in the house where it has line of sight with as much of the house as possible. Buy a cheap UPS for power backup. Any cheap 1500 rupee unit will do. Modern routers are essentially low powered computers and like them do not like a hard shutdown when power goes out. It is best if they are never rebooted or turned off.
Yes I know that. There is inverter power everywhere except the current place where the router is and the place where im thinking of keeping it. God I hate the people that planned this shit. Im thinking of running an extension wire from one of the inverter powered points but lose wires around makes everyone crib here. >.<

Anything interesting on the custom firmware front? @avi had soem firmware installed. Does the hardware NAT affect the internal speeds?

Hi what are good Custom firmwares for this? My priorities are in the following order -

1) IMPORTANT - bandwidth usage for individual clients.
2) Good range
3) Stability
4) Quality of service
5) Optional - Disconnect or time out for hours after failed attempt to login (i can do it using lan port if locked for genuine causes)
6) Working USB ports. Would prefer if usb3 retains its great speed.

Backdrop - Some kid had hacked old router and I had kept same pass on new router, so need to be able to monitor. Have taken all other basic steps. Setup is a adsl modem runs to WAN port.

Thanks.

Ps came across this - https://advancedtomato.com/

Hi what are good Custom firmwares for this? My priorities are in the following order -

1) IMPORTANT - bandwidth usage for individual clients.
2) Good range
3) Stability
4) Quality of service
5) Optional - Disconnect or time out for hours after failed attempt to login (i can do it using lan port if locked for genuine causes)
6) Working USB ports. Would prefer if usb3 retains its great speed.

Backdrop - Some kid had hacked old router and I had kept same pass on new router, so need to be able to monitor. Have taken all other basic steps. Setup is a adsl modem runs to WAN port.

Thanks.

Ps came across this - https://advancedtomato.com/
so did u install custom firmware ? If yes. then which one.

Installed Advanced tomato (136). First thing you notice is that the interface is VERY simple, clean and modern. LOTS of info on the first page, easy to get going with basic settings quickly. Find it far better than the stock firmware.

Im having slight issues with wifi range, but I literally am on the out of the box settings which are known to be very low on transmit power. Will play with regions and transmit power tonight. It has solved issues for other people

The monitoring part I havent found to be very effective. I guess i'll educate myself about it first and then take a call.

The temps are on the higher side. Seems to settle on 70 degrees on an average in a room with no fans on. Anything under 80 is supposed to be fine as per posts online. Devices are 10-12 right now.

ToDo-
1) Increase range by playing with transmit power and region
2) Play with monitoring and QOS. There are plenty of bugs in this as per official threads on forums. Hope they get it down properly sometime in the future. I shall try none the less
3) Input list of all MAC IDs with device names like *person name* - *device name* which the firmware allows you to do so you dont have to match device names. Especially android sucks with devices turning up as "android3283294823984"

Back