iOS How does iPhone warranty work? Edit: Flipkart replaced my damaged phone in 48hrs

m0h1t

drinks like a fish
Patron
Hi

First time iphone buyer here looking to buy a 5S
  1. How does the Apple iPhone india warranty work? Is it repair/replacement or just replacement?
  2. I assume as long as it's an official import from either Redington or Ingram Micro I should be able to get warranty from Apple India, yes?
  3. Is it okay to buy from flipkart etc, because apparently people have been getting pre-activated used phones and facing trouble with after sales. (Ref: http://www.flipkart.com/apple-iphone-5s/p/itmdv6f75dyxhmt4?pid=MOBDPPZZDX8WSPAT#read-reviews).
Please advice! TIA..

Update1 : Flipkart sold me a damaged iPhone :arghh: Check below Post #17

Update 2 : Flipkart replaced the damaged phone in 48 hours Post #34

Last edited:
1. I guess replacement in most cases but sometimes they can repair as well.
2. Yes officially imported, Indian piece will have warranty.
3. Cannot say about FK but if price is same then i suggest buying from authorized reseller.

Okay, thanks!
I would be great if someone who has had hands-on A.S.S. experience of an iPhone bought from FK (WSRetail) would share details..

You will be fine, go ahead. My cousin bought from FK and its fine. Once you get the phone check the warranty online. And you can call Apple Care also. Best part, unlike other retarded companies, Apple never asks for bills (at least in my experience). You go to service center, give the serial number and they will do the rest.

Mrp Mentioned Behind the Box Makes the Product Indan Purchase no matter u purchased it from any vendor.
The dont ask for bill,every thing works on the serial #
Some Apple service centres might ask for a valid bill or a legit proof of purchase as lots of stolen phones floating these days...

Thanks for the help guys!

Is this a private database of imei codes based activation status, or something else? Shoudn't only Apple have this kind of info?

Idk how they get it. Maybe some inside source.
It shows all details about your phone, Lock status, everything which can help before buying.

Okay, thanks!
I would be great if someone who has had hands-on A.S.S. experience of an iPhone bought from FK (WSRetail) would share details..

I did purchased couple of iDevices from FK including iPhone 5s, iPad Air and iPad mini retina. Just don't buy from any other third party seller and you'll be fine.

Apple service center doesn't require bill to check the warranty status, they can verify the same from the serial number of the device. You can also extend the warranty of your iPhone by purchasing Apple-care kit which usually cost between 3.8k to 4k. Apple service center replaces your iPhone with refurbished or new device depending upon the stock.

I got my iPhone 5 replaced last year cause of battery issues, and they replaced it with a new iPhone 5. On the other end, I recently had issues with my iPhone 5S speaker (though I dropped it) and they replaced it with a refurbished one. There is no difference between a new one or refurbished one as they are certified according to Apple standards. The standard warranty also covers accessories for an year.

Also apple refurbs are as good as new. Recently my FIL was gifted an iPad Mini and it was a refurbished piece (box mentioned it) and I could in now way find it is refurb.

I did purchased couple of iDevices from FK including iPhone 5s, iPad Air and iPad mini retina. Just don't buy from any other third party seller and you'll be fine.

Apple service center doesn't require bill to check the warranty status, they can verify the same from the serial number of the device. You can also extend the warranty of your iPhone by purchasing Apple-care kit which usually cost between 3.8k to 4k. Apple service center replaces your iPhone with refurbished or new device depending upon the stock.

I got my iPhone 5 replaced last year cause of battery issues, and they replaced it with a new iPhone 5. On the other end, I recently had issues with my iPhone 5S speaker (though I dropped it) and they replaced it with a refurbished one. There is no difference between a new one or refurbished one as they are certified according to Apple standards. The standard warranty also covers accessories for an year.
Thanks for sharing your experience. This is definitely reassuring.
Also apple refurbs are as good as new. Recently my FIL was gifted an iPad Mini and it was a refurbished piece (box mentioned it) and I could in now way find it is refurb.
Good to know
Idk how they get it. Maybe some inside source.
It shows all details about your phone, Lock status, everything which can help before buying.
Okay, good to know

I got a defective unit from FK :mad: the sim lock mechanism is broken. I took the tray out with the provided tool, and now it is not going in as something is protruding and coming in the way

I went to one of the apple service centers in saket, delhi to get a replacement. They said they will need to confirm this with apple, which is closed on saturdays and sundays. She clicked a picture, similar to what I've posted here ,and said to check back on monday.

When I asked the lady what do you have to confirm with apple, she said the sim lock is broken and I will have to check if apple will consider this for replacement or not. They might consider this to be user damage. I told her this is not my first smart phone, and I most certainly know how to operate the sim ejection tool, while pointing to my Nnexus 5.

She also recommended me to return it to the seller as it will be easier for me since I bought the phone today itself. I told her I bought it from FK, after which she said they are not out official sellers, sometimes they sell iPhones from other regions blah blah blah. At this moment, got a little visibly agitated and told her this is a valid India import by an authorized distributor and you are legally bound to service my warranty request.

After I stepped out I called flipkart and registered a complaint. I was told somebody from their technical team will reach out to me before 23rd. I also initiated a return request on the website.

Halp guys! I don't want a 43k paper weight
@raksrules @avi @destiny @n1tesh @neerajvohra @swatkats

Last edited:
Are you sure its damaged ? Pics looks fine.
Try inserting the sim tray w/o any sim. Push a bit harder

BTW FK will replace it.

Are you sure its damaged ? Pics looks fine.
Try inserting the sim tray w/o any sim. Push a bit harder
BTW FK will replace it.
Yes, it is definitely broken, the lady from the apple service center only said that the 'sim lock' is broken.

I don't have a nano sim yet, I was trying with an empty tray only. There is small round metallic bar or lever sort-of thing that is coming down from the top that is preventing the tray from going in.

FK will replace it, don't worry :p
I hope they do man, I'm shitting bricks right here!

Last edited:
Back