Security Software How does Google Pay work without PIN/OTP?

Paavni Sethi

Recruit
I subscribed to Play Music. At the time of subscribing I filled my card info and it didn't require an OTP. But that payment was authorized by me. The next month it paid for itself, without even asking, neither it required an OTP. This is such bullshit that I feel threatened for my security. How does this work? How can google access my card without me even confirming ONCE? What should I do instead? Is there an alternative?

OTP was made mandatory by RBI, for domestic payments.
For international payments, it doesn't ask for OTP. CC Num + Exp Date + CVV are all needed to deduct money from the CC.
Alternatives
  • Use virtual credit card - with custom limit.
  • Paypal

I use paypal for most international transactions, where it's supported. I trust these guys than giving out my CC details in every other site. For others, I use virtual CC.

Not only Google, any site where you have to pay on monthly or annually basis requires OTP only at your first payment.

Most of these sites/apps give first month free subscription but you are required to add CC details to avail the free subscription.

And after free period is over these guys can automatically deduct the subscription fee without your consent.

Please read their terms and conditions before adding CC details. Or you can put a reminder one day before the subscription is over. It will help you cancel your subscription if you don't find it useful.

This way you will not have to pay unwillingly. Do read terms and conditions before going to add CC details.

OTP was made mandatory by RBI, for domestic payments.
For international payments, it doesn't ask for OTP. CC Num + Exp Date + CVV are all needed to deduct money from the CC.
Alternatives
  • Use virtual credit card - with custom limit.
  • Paypal

I use paypal for most international transactions, where it's supported. I trust these guys than giving out my CC details in every other site. For others, I use virtual CC.
Is there a free alternative?

What happens when virtual credit card with one day validity is used? Does the money get deducted to parent account ?

I haven't tried that. What I do is keep very low limit for the virtual CC. Whatever the amount I need, I change the limit, pay and then lower it again.
Money get deducted from parent CC account.

Is there a free alternative?
Free means ?
For paypal, I don't need to pay any fee for payments. Wherever I have dealt, whatever paypal charges, are borne by the seller.

I haven't tried that. What I do is keep very low limit for the virtual CC. Whatever the amount I need, I change the limit, pay and then lower it again.
Money get deducted from parent CC account.

Free means ?
For paypal, I don't need to pay any fee for payments. Wherever I have dealt, whatever paypal charges, are borne by the seller.
Oh yeah. Thanks for reminding.

Back