How Are Subsequent Merit Lists For Junior College Admissions Made?

kidrow

Adept
Hi all,

My nephew in Pune who has passed his SSC exams this year has been allotted a college which was his 33rd preference, despite scoring 82% overall.

He naturally has concerns about getting a better college in the second round. The authorities he has spoken to have assured him that he'll have a better opportunity in the next round & he should simply wait.

Now, he tells me that every student has been allotted only one college - even the higher ranked ones. Also, every student has to get a provisional admission in the college allotted if they have to be eligible for the next round.

I was under the impression that the process would be something akin to - The higher ranked students are given a choice as to which college they want. So for instance, they will be asked to choose from 3 colleges or so. They choose one & the other two are up for grabs. The queue then moves up in the next list.

So if what my nephew says is right (about every student being given a single choice + having no option to ignore it), I can't understand how the next merit list will be any different.

Maybe I'm just dense or simply ignorant of certain criteria. Be gentle. But please do explain.

Thanks.

Hmmm.
Here's what usually happens : Seats are allocated to everybody based on their choices,marks and category.Don't think they have a choice as such (rules might be different for this batch if this is the case)
Some students (including toppers) might have already secured a seat in a college of their choice through a)institute quota b)minority seats c)other jhols
Hence the seats allotted to such students are up for grabs for the second round.
For us,it was compulsory to choose the seat we got if it was in the top 10 or else we could wait for the second round.
The requirement for provisional admission for eligibility is possible but make sure you or your nephew reads the Brochure properly and visit Seminars about the admission process.
Usually you can even get seats in top colleges in the last round since some toppers might change/drop their seats while opting for a better college.
All the best.

@Phenomenal Thanks for clarifying. The idea that seats already allotted through quotas & also allotted to those same students by the Board as well will help the queue move along, makes sense somewhat.

While I did read the accompanying brochure, there was no mention of how the merit lists are actually drawn up. I come from a time when one used to apply to multiple colleges through each individual college's independent process. So how the merit list process worked was pretty straightforward. Being old school, I'm thrown off by the centralized process, & hence can't quite wrap my head around it.

So again, many thanks.

@suarezian @nRiTeCh Agreed. Sad but true. Though I've asked my cousin to save his money &/or influence/'vashila', if any, for later. This is just junior college & I don't think worth spending extra money over. It would be put to better use post 12th, imo.

Last edited:
@kidrow : You're most welcome.
Hope you've visited the website and checked it out...they've mentioned quite a few important points regarding the process,quotas available,etc in depth.
http://fyjc.org.in/mumbai/CMS/Content_Static.aspx?did=126
http://fyjc.org.in/mumbai/CMS/Content_Static.aspx?did=134
eg :
h3TwX.jpg

You can also visit a guidance center in your area for help :
http://fyjc.org.in/mumbai/StaticPages/SL_AreaSearch.aspx?did=150

Do check out the site,it seems a lot more user-friendly for this year.
It's great to see a Kaka/Mama helping out in the admission process.
Wishing you guys all the very best for the admission!

@Phenomenal Thanks for your help mate. I did check the suggestions/requirements for the college preferences on the Pune FYJC site. But unlike Mumbai, they did not require students to fill in preferences based on any particular area. If they did, then I missed it.

In any case, things worked out fine for him in the end. He got admitted to the college affiliated to his previous school through the in-house quota. (Took a while for the call to come in though). So all's well.

Good thing this happened though. It should give him a wake up call vis-a-vis the fierce competition & reality of reservations.

Again, thanks for your time. Much appreciated! Cheers!

Back