Storage Solutions Home Server

Assuming you want it on 24x7, and plan to use as a torrent/download box for media, and you have limited users like only yourself, I would suggest 2 options

1. DIY - Build a DIY box, based on Atom so that it consumes low power. You can repurpose your old desktop, but you will face issues with power consumption. Coming to OS, you can use Windows or Linux, and if you want it to run as a headless server, you can use OMV, RockStor etc.

2. Buy a NAS box you can get from Netgear, Seagate, WD etc. But they will be limited in features.

I need more details.

I use a pentium g3240 with 8GB RAM and a b85 board filled with SATA cards as my home server. Seems to work pretty well. The earlier atom used to become slow on parallel copying off different hard drives. This one works perfectly without hiccups.

Amazon India has 2 bay enclosures with raid support at lower price than this even with import fees.

Example: StarTech.com Dual-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure - USB 3.0 to SATA III 6Gbps with RAID and UASP Supports 2.5-Inch SSD/HDDs from 5mm to 15mm S252BU33R

Edit: 4bay device for even less.
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0711L68MS

Last edited:
How much do you recommend ?

@tommy_vercetti @nRiTeCh I want to store videos, pictures and songs so that other members at home can access them from their PC, smart phone and tablets over a WiFi network.

What is it ?

What is it ? How much will one cost ?

Thanks guys.

A headless server is a device without a monitor, like a router or a NAS from Synology/Netgear etc. You use a browser to modify most settings.

Cost depends on the stuff you want to reuse and what you want to keep.[DOUBLEPOST=1506494115][/DOUBLEPOST]If you want to build a server on the cheap, assuming you will add upto 2 HDDs, and are OK with headless route with openmediavault and on a budget,

I would suggest to go for this

CPU and Mobo : http://www.ebay.in/itm/172761530726
RAM - DDR3 laptop ram
SMPS, cabinet and others of your choice. preferably go for a good UPS because it will run 24x7, especially one with a higher efficiency.

Last edited:
Cheapest to set would be to buy a single HDD WD my cloud 3TB.

I have it hooked with my netgear AC1900. Transfer speeds are like 50-60MBPS

I have an old amd setup in dust. Can i use it not jusr as homeserver but esp. for torrent downloads etc and manage remotely?

I have cabinet with mobo ram proccy and can spare some hdds. I think that's all whats needed right?

Just need guidance.

I have an old amd setup in dust. Can i use it not jusr as homeserver but esp. for torrent downloads etc and manage remotely?

I have cabinet with mobo ram proccy and can spare some hdds. I think that's all whats needed right?

Just need guidance.

Yes, install something like OpenMediaVault. Additionally, you should get a static IP.

Actually, most of the ISPs do not give a public IP, instead giving a private IP. Thats why, its better if you ask for a static IP rather than trying with dynamic DNS, which could be a hit or miss, because they also block most ports.

What I did was point my Subdomain to my NAS via namecheap DNS. ddclient updates the info (A record) every 2mins. Do it via either a cron or make ddclient as startup program.

Also as @vivek.krishnan indicated there is hit or miss, especially when the power goes and comes back and the new IP isnt propagated to the DNS

Back