Graphic Cards HELP: Replacing Blown Capacitors on XFX 8600GT 256DDR3 and Mercury 945GCM

aman.pitbull

Skilled
  1. Guys I have a dead XFX 256MB DDR3 with me. One day three capacitors blew up making a gunshot kind'of noise :eek:hyeah: . No overheating occurred but I think it was due to over-voltage. So now I need three matching capacitors and some guy who can de-solder/solder properly.

The blown capacitors are :
    6.3V, 1000uF FZ78(Blue)
    2 X 6.3V, 1500uF FZ78(Blue)
    I need to know where can I get it repaired or where can I get these(or better quality) capacitors in Navi-Mumbai.
    This is the card I'm using :

I've Marked the Bad Components in RED.
  2. The motherboard is Mercury PI-945GCM v1.0A with :

1. a burnt/broken 4-pin ATX 12v connector
    2. 3 X Blown Electrolytic Capacitors(2 x 1000uF 6.3V; 1 x 100uF 16V)
  3. Apart from these I have 3 Dead cards too which I dont think can be repaired, Any Ideas?? :
    1 X evga 8800GTS 640MB
    1 X Gigabyte 8800GT 512MB OC
    1 X Dead MSI 865GM2 Board in perfect condition, it's just not going through POST. Blank screen and no beep.
  4. I have a few boards that need a new VGA Port, is it possible to de-solder the old VGA connector and attach a new one on it, if so how much should it cost?

Dead cards are almost unrepairable here in India AFAIK.That's why they give you replacement warranty.But lets not give up,just try it out to fix them.

Check also the ICs on the card.

If the main issues are th dead caps, then you can replace them by yourself if you like soldering, else you can get those replaced at any tv repairing shop at an affordable price :)

After looking at BADCAPS.net and similar threads, they're advising to replace all the Sacon-FZ series capacitors with Panasonic FM series similar rated capacitors.

I'll get it done but the problem is it's availability.

All the IC's and other parts look OK but One IC(7-pin) looks OK on the surface but had a lot of white junk between the pins which I removed with a pin.

^^ That white junk might as well be the capacitance material from the capacitor. Best of luck with the repairs bruv.

Electrolyte never leaked(even if it did it cannot go against the gravity and that to on the other side of the card). It has solid capacitors.

Well, AFAIK as the caps are concerned, there are certain shops in LR from where you can get these. If i happen to go to LR soon, will check out for ur caps.

Now for soldering, go to any decent guy offering the soldering facility for a decent cost :eek:hyeah:

SMD caps should be available on Lamington Road. Whether they have the value you need or not is another question entirely, as these are fairly high capacitance.

(De)soldering should not be a problem for anyone using a hot air station. A mobile repairman should be able to do it just fine.

Use a bit of isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush to clean the board. Like a nice wet rub. Will clean the remainder of the gunk from the caps.

Even I had XFX 8600GT with me, it got dead and wasn't able to get RMA'ed bcoz of bill date..

The caps had blown on mine too, wonder what quality caps XFX provides...

Wasn't able to get it repaired,s had to throw it off :(

^ its the caps details are written on the caps itself, like in some caps its is written as 470uF and 16V, thats means the caps is of 470 micro farad and its voltage rating is 16V, so all we have to do is to get a similar one and replace it.

I guess thats it :)

Hi all, this is a great thread(I want to repair my XFX 8600). I have several newbie questions here:
1. The four little black ones on the left(69, 470 16A and 78, 100, 16A) what do the numbers on the cpas. mean? Do I need to replace these also? Am I suppose to buy and replace all 11 of these caps.?

2. I have never soldered a cap. before, Where would you suggest me to buy them in USA? How about on the web? What type of capacitors should I buy(Just reliable and reasonable price is fine, I would go for higher voltage for better tolerance as long as my PC can tolerate the caps' height)? What brand would you guys suggest?

I found this website, are their prices good(and there are tons of them there)?

Your Search Results | Newark Canada
Thank you so much guys and have a great day :).

Its better to go for brands like rubycon, nippon, panasonic. Of these i heard panasonic is the best but you cant get it locally so get it from online. I am not sure about those numbers but try getting solid caps as they last long as against these aluminium electrolyte capacitors. But anyway panasonic ones are reliable and may be expensive. So you can get the normal electrolyte capacitors. But if the blown ones are SMDs (surface mounted ones or the ones which dont have leads ) you have to replace them with SMD only IMO...

Let the others enlighten you...

Thank you anfjavid. No I don't think they are SMD capacitors. In Vancouver here it's difficult to find electronic parts here, we used to have a radioshack here and they closed down a few years ago(even office depot has closed in our city).

What solid caps? They don't seem to have high capacity tolerance, please forgive me I have hardly solder anything myself. Still Educating myself in trying to fix my display card.

The black ones, one of them is, top to bottom: 69 (model number?) 470(uF? Tolerance) then the blue ones have 16 or 6.3V(volt) however the black one has 16A which I don't understand what the A stands for(Amphere?)

I have taken two photos however, I don't know how I can upload here.
Thank you and have great evening.

This will help you understand how to identify and know what the values on a capacitor means

If still its a problem then ask any of your friends doing electrical engineering for help

Thank you guys. Allrounder, thanks for the link however I still can't find what the "A" stands for.

Great! I can now post photos! You can see the lower two 6.3V caps have blown and I have troubles in interpreting what the black ones' voltages are. The number in the middle should be uF.

Back