Audio help in choosing PMP

daydreamer5

Recruit
hi guys am looking to buy a PMP, am confused which one to choose between

1) Sandisk sansa clip + ( price 3800 for 8gb in ebay)
2) Fiio x1 ( price 6500 in ebay)

rite now am using iphone 5s along with Fiio E6 amp and ATH M50X and Klipsch S4

will a stand alone PMP sound better than my current setup? Is it worth buying a separate PMP?

which of the two players are bang for the buck?

Any other suggestions in price range of 7k?

thanks

Last edited:
I have sansa clip+ which is stuck at boot up logo.

The first one had the same problem. It happened just after unboxing. The seller was kind enough to replace it. The 2nd also showed the same problem after 1 year. I have tried everything to revive it, nothing worked.

Unfortunately Sansa+ is officially not sold in India.

I would strongly suggest Cowon.

Using Sansa Clip Zip from 1.5 years with Rockbox... Good features added with rockbox and works pretty good with Soundmagic PL11

Never used Sansa+ though but used Cowon D2+ 16 GB (still using)

Fiio X1 is brilliant when handling High Resolution Files (Tested with 192Khz/24Bit Flac) and Multi Format Audio....Yet to test ALAC.

Using it With ATH-IM70 as well ATH-M50x last one and half month.

I'd stick with the iPhone, ditch the E6 amp and maybe get a better IEM that can be driven without an amp. I think you'd see a much better improvement, I don't see the S4 scaling with better equipment to justify investing in the X1.

I think there's a lot of people who will insist that iDevices sound like crap, I for one think they along with other modern smart phones sound quite good. I'm back to using my S6 edge as a portable source after owning quite a few DAPs.

I have sansa clip+ which is stuck at boot up logo.

The first one had the same problem. It happened just after unboxing. The seller was kind enough to replace it. The 2nd also showed the same problem after 1 year. I have tried everything to revive it, nothing worked.

Unfortunately Sansa+ is officially not sold in India.

I would strongly suggest Cowon.

Dude same thing happened with me yesterday. I have a rockboxed sansa clip+ and while connecting it to PC, it showed a new firmware has been released so I updated it like a dumbwit. And it was stuck at the flower. What I did was -
1.Hard reset
2.Remove memory card
3.Switch it back on and it's back to normal.
4.Put memory card back in and everything works fine now.

Maybe this may help you.

Dude same thing happened with me yesterday. I have a rockboxed sansa clip+ and while connecting it to PC, it showed a new firmware has been released so I updated it like a dumbwit. And it was stuck at the flower. What I did was -
1.Hard reset
2.Remove memory card
3.Switch it back on and it's back to normal.
4.Put memory card back in and everything works fine now.

Maybe this may help you.

i also have a rockboxed SC+. haven't updated the FW in a long time, and some days back just out-of-the-blue this thought came to my head to check if a new FW has been released (your post reminded me i had to do that). but now reading this, looks like should follow the rule of a PC BIOS update in case of SC+ rockbox update too - don't 'fix' it if ain't broke!

Thanks for your suggestions guys

I'd stick with the iPhone, ditch the E6 amp and maybe get a better IEM that can be driven without an amp. I think you'd see a much better improvement, I don't see the S4 scaling with better equipment to justify investing in the X1.

I think there's a lot of people who will insist that iDevices sound like crap, I for one think they along with other modern smart phones sound quite good. I'm back to using my S6 edge as a portable source after owning quite a few DAPs.

I have decided to upgrade IEM either Vsonic gr07 Classic or Hifiman re400

Can they be driven by iPhone?

Haven't used the GR07 but have owned both the RE400 and RE600. They both sound great and can be driven easily. The RE600 scales well with better gear if you upgrade in the future. Build quality however isn't great, both mine had issues but there are also a lot of people who have had trouble free experiences as well.

I've had issues with all my Hifiman IEMs, 7 in total. No issues with any of their headphones. :)

It's quite good. All my Vsonic iems are working top notch.But I have read a lot of posts on headfi about below par cable quality,one earpiece driver going kaput,etc but nothing of that happened to any of my vsonic iems. *touchwood*

It's quite good. All my Vsonic iems are working top notch.But I have read a lot of posts on headfi about below par cable quality,one earpiece driver going kaput,etc but nothing of that happened to any of my vsonic iems. *touchwood*
Did you import them from outside India or bought from hifinage? Do hifinage provide any service for driver getting damaged within warranty period?

I bought my first Vsonic - gro2be from Hifinage but it was very expensive not vfm at all. Rest of the iems, I bought from lendmeurears. You should contact hifinage , to clear your doubts. IMO they will replace if it's under warranty.

Well not an expert at all,but how about Colorfly c3.using it since last 8 months. top notch quality though require c&c bh2 to unleash its full potential.But end result is amazing.

I bought my first Vsonic - gro2be from Hifinage but it was very expensive not vfm at all. Rest of the iems, I bought from lendmeurears. You should contact hifinage , to clear your doubts. IMO they will replace if it's under warranty.

Thanks
I purchased gr07 Classic from lendmeurears asked seller to mark it as gift and undervalue it, will I have to pay any customs?[DOUBLEPOST=1437925058][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well not an expert at all,but how about Colorfly c3.using it since last 8 months. top notch quality though require c&c bh2 to unleash its full potential.But end result is amazing.
How does it sound without any amp?

Last edited:
Customs is hit and miss. I was lucky most of the times and got no custom duty but once I order 2 iems together and the package was big so couldn't escape :D Had to pay Rs 450. So you never know. Wish you luck :D

without amp though it sounds good however not that much control over bass.

Thanks
Customs is hit and miss. I was lucky most of the times and got no custom duty but once I order 2 iems together and the package was big so couldn't escape :D Had to pay Rs 450. So you never know. Wish you luck :D
Thanks. Hope I won't get any customs too :)
How long does it take to receive the item?

Back