Help For Buying PS3 HDD

sunny020

Recruit
Hi friends :D

I want to upgrade my 12gb s3 to 500GB or 1TB HDD
So friends can u suggests me Indian shopping sites that sell HDD and its bracket for ps3

All suggestions as welcomed :D

Thank You !

You don't need any bracket or a special HDD. I had bought a normal 1TB laptop HDD and changed it myself. Just make sure it is 9mm or less in thickness.

So go to flipkart and search for laptop HDD and check the thickness spec.

You just need to remove the HDD in the PS3 and install the new one. Nothing more than a screwdriver required.

Ah.. sorry I didn't realize that.

Well you don't really need a bracket to install a PS3 HDD. Its just a tray to hold it in place so it can be done with something stuffed. Look at this video, he uses a folded plastic membership card so hold the HDD in place. I am sure you have several of those lying around. If not go to the nearest shoppers stop and ask them for a membership card. Will cost you around Rs. 50-100 :p

@Renegade, @Ethan_Hunt , @quixand - I am thinking of swapping out my PS3 Slim's 320 GB hdd that it came with. The Hdd is nearly full with around 20 GB to spare.

I would like to carry most data from it to the new hdd as I don't want to download the updates, install the games from discs or download PSN+ games again.

I have heard that just backing up that much data will take nearly a whole day and the same for restoring it to the new Hdd.

What seems somewhat promising are claims regarding cloning hdd which involves very less participation of the PS3
Link - http://community.us.playstation.com...drive-to-new-hard-drive/td-p/17527142/page/10

Some content that has to be backed up at all costs viz., - GT6 installed data - This game is a real PITA thanks to the updates and hours spent sitting like an idiot waiting for updates, GT 5 - DLCs can't be downloaded again thanks to Sony and PD, Condemned 2 : Bloodshot - trying to update causes PS3 to reset (There is a work around for this).

I would not know about backing up games and cloning stuff. I just remember restoring OFW and replacing to 1TB HDD and CFW again. Transferred games through FTP and a lot more through NTFS USB. Latter was much faster of course.

@prabs did you give up your PS+ sub? I generally put my PS3 on night downloads for Updates etc. Never really faced issues for Updates.

Regarding Backup, I did it the old fashioned way and wouldn't want to go down the same path again.

@quixand - I still have the PSN+ subscription but since they made PSN+ mandatory for PS4 the quality of games they offer has been bad. I am reliant on PSN+ for my Vita or I would have canceled the subscription.

The normal method for PS3 is seriously time consuming if you have 50+ GB of data to backup and restore. I don't mind deleting a bunch of games before but just thinking of the number of updates a few games like GTA 5, GT6, GT5 etc have makes me step backwards. Not to mention installing Final Fantasy XIII trilogy and their updates. It will take me days to get the PS3 back in position it is now if I have to delete a chunk and then go through the procedure but I guess it has to be done now. As every time I get a new game or something interesting is offered on PSN Store or by PSN+ I have to delete a game or multiple games to accommodate that.

How much data did you backup & restore and how much time did it take you?[DOUBLEPOST=1432631995][/DOUBLEPOST]This is the HDD I am thinking of -

http://www.flipkart.com/wd-1-tb-lap...ptop+internal+hard+drive&otracker=from-search

Please lemme know ASAP. I would like to use the Axis Offer.

Last edited:
2 years back, 160 GB backup, 500 install and restore - 8 hrs in total :) :)

8 hours including backing up and restoring data. That is not so bad considering I am trying delete a few files to reduce the size to backup and restore and Resistance 3 is happily deleting itself for over half an hour now.

HD Clone was not working so I am using the traditional method.

Bought a WD10JPVX. It fits in the cage.

If 160 GB takes 8 hours that means 4 hours to back up and 4 hours to restore right?

So I will not delete data upto 60 GB but retain around 150 GB.

Can you please confirm the 8 hours break up?[DOUBLEPOST=1432841882][/DOUBLEPOST]Deleted files till I was left with < 160 GB to back up. Process has started with estimated time of 4 Hours 21 minutes.

They really should create a selective Backup so that we can back up what we want and in parts just like the Vita has.[DOUBLEPOST=1432864560][/DOUBLEPOST]@quixand - Thanks. Half way through. Had around 155-160 GB data. Took me around 5 hours to back up to a compressed size of 122GB. Switched the HDD to 1 TB and installed Firmware on it. 931 GB usable 103 GB locked so 828 GB available. Will restore the backed up data once I come back home.

Last edited:
I wish I had saved a lot more data since it was 4-5 hours in one direction.

BTW PS+ games are crappy again this month so I bought a game instead of waiting for it to be free - Wipeout HD with Fury Pack

Yeah I logged into Playstation Store after some weeks I think. Playing League of Legends on PC at the moment. And planning to get World Of Warcraft campaign again (Litch King etc) till Arkham Knight comes out.

Back