Storage Solutions HDD replacement

Emil

Skilled
I had upgraded my Mobo and CPU about 18 months ago. Put in a SSD for the OS but kept my old 320GB Seagate and 500GB WD for data. I also have an external 1 TB Toshiba for backup.
I think it is time to replace those old internal HDDs in the interest of preserving my data.
I don't really need the fastest out there but just as reliable a 1 TB drive as possible. What is a good cost/life trade-off?

I had upgraded my Mobo and CPU about 18 months ago. Put in a SSD for the OS but kept my old 320GB Seagate and 500GB WD for data. I also have an external 1 TB Toshiba for backup.
I think it is time to replace those old internal HDDs in the interest of preserving my data.
I don't really need the fastest out there but just as reliable a 1 TB drive as possible. What is a good cost/life trade-off?
If you want a stable standard HDD go for a Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. I would stay away from WD Green/Blue.
I have a Seagate 1 TB Barracuda in my main rig running since 2010.
https://mdcomputers.in/internal-hdd...bility=1/sort=p.sort_order/order=ASC/limit=16

When most of the world is against Seagate and everyone sticking to WD this one comes a s surprise.
I would say go for WD Blue if you are looking for internal.
But as you looking for data backup then better invest in an external ones like WD Element or passport if you need encryption.

**I have all variants: ST, WD, Toshiba and Hitachi all going strong over the years with regular use. Just make it a point to have multiple backups and some maintenance thingy to keep them going stronger and looonger.;)

Last edited:
When most of the world is against Seagate and everyone sticking to WD this one comes a s surprise.
I would say go for WD Blue if you are looking for internal.
But as you looking for data backup then better invest in an external ones like WD Element or passport if you need encryption.

**I have all variants: ST, WD, Toshiba and Hitachi all going strong over the years with regular use. Just make it a point to have multiple backups and some maintenance thingy to keep them going stringer and looonger.;)
No, I'm not looking for data backup. I'm looking for a regular drive for data as opposed to programs which are mostly on the SSD. Currently, my 320 GB has been my primary data drive and the 500 GB has been a internal backup. My external 1 TB is another backup and that will continue as such.

For speed, look for a 7200rpm HDD from WD/ST/etc

If you can spend a bit more, get 2 HDDs - mirror them using software raid. This will ensure that even if you miss backing up the data, in case of a single HDD failure, the other HDD will have a mirror copy.

Don't go for WD Red in a standalone Desktop drive mode as it is much more expensive but not really necessary for you.

Yes expensive but reliable than Blue. Of-late Blue is degraded - not to Green level though. I had it for ~3 years without hiccups before I shifted to laptop.

I still got one old wd blue which was bought used one here and its been 9yrs since.
Seems today going for an internal disk is an extensive plus expensive task as the affordable ones seems unreliable while the realible ones are over normal users budget.

Back