Storage Solutions HDD prices

^ do you have a source to that? What i've heard so far is that the wd blue is the renamed wd green. and the red firmware has TLER which the other drives don't have, without which raid arrays will fail. haven't seen anything about blue and red h/w being the same. it makes financial sense though, for wd...

^ do you have a source to that? What i've heard so far is that the wd blue is the renamed wd green. and the red firmware has TLER which the other drives don't have, without which raid arrays will fail. haven't seen anything about blue and red h/w being the same. it makes financial sense though, for wd...
Source is someone who works at wd and writes controller code for drives ;). So no I unfortunately do not have a link to prove my claim.

that's good enough for me mate ;-)[DOUBLEPOST=1475083048][/DOUBLEPOST]So what this basically boils down to is unless you need TLER for running in a RAID, and/or need the extra year of warranty, might as well save $20 and get the blue.

The blue is rated 5400rpm and the red 5400rpm class, so does this mean the red is something like the 5900rpm of lore ?

Last edited by a moderator:
ebay.com, well I am gonna give it as miss. Not interested in HDDs which are refurbs and need to travel some few thousand km and find them damaged.

I do have 2 spare M1015 controllers though, so can put them to use!

Any one need a 4tb enterprise drive? In warranty till apr 2019, run only 60 hrs .
d69ad85b86c8bee2b1225ab77bdb4c10.jpg

Do WD red drives do automatic bitcoin mining or something? I mean I had bought a 2tb red from prime for 7k in march 2014, and now this is how much they cost?? !!!

Seriously wtf is going on?

Do WD red drives do automatic bitcoin mining or something? I mean I had bought a 2tb red from prime for 7k in march 2014, and now this is how much they cost?? !!!

Seriously wtf is going on?

Yes, they automatically mine your data and send it to Chi.. I mean Thailand from where it is sent to NSA and CIA and blah blah...

Prices are on an upward trajectory, now its with RAM and SSD.

Yes It's nuts. I think back in July/August I bought a 250gb Evo 750 for under 5K. Now it's almost 7k. Yikes!

I'm glad I didn't sell of my 2TB Black. Am slowly running out of external Harddisk space though :(

Yes...128GB mSD card before coming down below 2.5k - Lowset noticed 2.2k (Sandisk) - but now all are over 3k.

Is it the effect of the de-monetization ?

I bought my samsung evo 750 250GB SSD for 5k one year ago from Amazon. Now, it is sitting at almost 7k. I just bought a WD green 500GB SSD (without 3D NAND) for 11k in a lightning deal on Amazon. It costs around 13.7K. All 500GB SSDs are above 13K. I checked US sites and they are almost the same price (+- 10%). So, no I dont think its due to demonetisation. First the prices are increasing globally and also, we now have 18% GST on computer stuff (Going digital is going to cost us, ye ken :p). I just hope that with the GST council meetings that are now happening frequently, they decide to reduce the GST on PC hardware. Its not just storage, every PC component is increasing in price. RAM is more expensive, monitors are more expensive, CPUs are more expensive etc. e.g. RAM prices last year were around 5k for 16GB DDR3, 7K for DDR4. This year pre GST, they reached 7k and 9K respectively. And, now........... *sigh*

^^ haven't checked other components but the hdd i was talking about costs 1.5k more in India than the US. No way that difference is because of GST.

Back