HD streaming Router with 5dbi Antenna & a USB port

Need a router to play HD videos on my Tv. Also need an USB port to connect my 1TB HDD. For past two months i am looking for a router but really confused to buy only because of the latency issue?Can anyone pleas suggest me which brand and router should I go for? A good range is must.Budget is 5000INR

Before you decide to buy a mid size router consider the following options

If your requirement is to only play movie over wifi from a HDD, why not buy a 128GB pen drive load your movies and leave it on the USB port of tv?

If you already have a decent wifi router, I would suggest you to a buy a used (but in good condition, good brand) 300mpbs router which supports dd-wrt. Flash dd-wrt and use it as a bridge (I have tried this using a a linksys e-900 router and used the ethernet port to connect to my TV)

You can also use a bananapi (raspberry pi is also good, but has no sata support) and use it as your media player using your existing hdd or use a sata hdd.

Anyway I have had good experiences with netgear and tp-link mid size routers and they have worked well for me. But don't expect too much out of these routers, as our Indian homes with thick concretes drops the signals. Many even suggest asus and I would suggest to go for an asus router. Sorry I can't suggest you one as without knowing definite requirements, layout, placement etc it would be tough to advice.

Hope this helps

Before you decide to buy a mid size router consider the following options

If your requirement is to only play movie over wifi from a HDD, why not buy a 128GB pen drive load your movies and leave it on the USB port of tv?

If you already have a decent wifi router, I would suggest you to a buy a used (but in good condition, good brand) 300mpbs router which supports dd-wrt. Flash dd-wrt and use it as a bridge (I have tried this using a a linksys e-900 router and used the ethernet port to connect to my TV)

You can also use a bananapi (raspberry pi is also good, but has no sata support) and use it as your media player using your existing hdd or use a sata hdd.

Anyway I have had good experiences with netgear and tp-link mid size routers and they have worked well for me. But don't expect too much out of these routers, as our Indian homes with thick concretes drops the signals. Many even suggest asus and I would suggest to go for an asus router. Sorry I can't suggest you one as without knowing definite requirements, layout, placement etc it would be tough to advice.

Hope this helps
Thanks Ranjit Sai. Actually I am using WD Tv Live as a media streamer and currently I am using Netgear n150. But the problem is that for the past few days I am facing latecny issue.Hope yu know what is latency?! The issue occurs mainly when I stream any vidoes from laptop or cell phone. So I want to change the router. Infact 1month ago I bought TP Link Ac750 C20i router I faced stability problem and also the latency. I complained Tp Link customer service they told me to return the product. So this time I am more cautious now to buy any router. My fav is Tp Link n300 W841N but it doesn't have any usb, I prefer it only because of its signal strength and stability.

I have a similar setup with a AMD E350 powered Download/File server which has a drive shared over my network and I use my WDTV live to play videos on my HDTV.However I have found that it is best to connect the WDTV to the router via a LAN and the difference is apparent when fast forwarding through movies which is faster over the wired LAN.
I use a Netgear WNDR4300 with 5 GHz 300 MBps wifi and the throughput is much better than the 300Mbps 2.4 GHz Cisco E900 that I had while playing videos over wifi on my laptop from the shared drive on my file server rig.
I think that its best to setup wired connectivity with your WDTV as 5 GHz wifi is preferable while playing 1080p content and the WDTV doesn't support it.:(

Your netgear router might be getting old, so your idea of buying a new router is well founded. Did you mean that the problem has started recently and the same setup used to work fine before? In that case just check the latency immediately after restarting the router once and again after 5-6 hrs of it being on. Just before you buy a new router, first try doing a factory reset and then check if there is any firmware upgrade. Finally if you can live with the router being out of service, just try flashing DD-WRT if your router supports.

If nothing works out prefer Asus over anything else, though I prefer tp-link as I have always had good experiences with it. TP-link factory firmwares have issues and dd-wrt has worked like a charm (latency issues on some tp-link routers on factory firmware is a known issue-maybe you should have tried upgrading the firmware before you returned). Also please make sure the antennas are dual band (not just the router-some tp-link routers in my experience have single band 2.4ghz antenna and 5ghz antenna will be inbuilt or the other way round in some cases) and the antenna should be up gradable later with a high gain antenna if you choose to.[DOUBLEPOST=1428251480][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think that its best to setup wired connectivity with your WDTV as 5 GHz wifi is preferable while playing 1080p content and the WDTV doesn't support it

If you want to try wired connectivity and if it is not a feasible option to run the ethernet cable you can try power line adapter. It will cost you a good $95 if you buy them from amazon.com but at least it will be a gigabit port with good throughput (Don't buy the fast ethernet ones)

Last edited:
Your netgear router might be getting old, so your idea of buying a new router is well founded. Did you mean that the problem has started recently and the same setup used to work fine before? In that case just check the latency immediately after restarting the router once and again after 5-6 hrs of it being on. Just before you buy a new router, first try doing a factory reset and then check if there is any firmware upgrade. Finally if you can live with the router being out of service, just try flashing DD-WRT if your router supports.

If nothing works out prefer Asus over anything else, though I prefer tp-link as I have always had good experiences with it. TP-link factory firmwares have issues and dd-wrt has worked like a charm (latency issues on some tp-link routers on factory firmware is a known issue-maybe you should have tried upgrading the firmware before you returned). Also please make sure the antennas are dual band (not just the router-some tp-link routers in my experience have single band 2.4ghz antenna and 5ghz antenna will be inbuilt or the other way round in some cases) and the antenna should be up gradable later with a high gain antenna if you choose to.[DOUBLEPOST=1428251480][/DOUBLEPOST]

If you want to try wired connectivity and if it is not a feasible option to run the ethernet cable you can try power line adapter. It will cost you a good $95 if you buy them from amazon.com but at least it will be a gigabit port with good throughput (Don't buy the fast ethernet ones)
Ranjit thank you very much and I appreciate your effort for replying my messages.Yes the problem started recently.I also tried the factory reset solution but after few days still the same latency issue occurs. I tried to upgrade the software manually but it failed to update. I dont know how to flash the router.Personally I also prefer Asus, but within 5000 which model will I go for? Before returning the router of TP Link C20i I updated the latest firmware but still the problem persist

Sorry, I don't have any previous experiences of buying an asus router. Moreover an asus router within your budget having a usb port may not have a good range. Maybe someone using an asus router might help you better. Presently I am using an archer c7 with a linksys e900 as wifi bridge and 4 tp-link powerline adapters with a couple of netgear gigabit switches for wired connectivity.

Strongly recommend setting up a cheap file server off a Raspberry Pi2 (3000/-) and hooking it wired to your router , most routers have a weak processor and adding the load of USB data handling over and above the load of the network stack will bog them down
If your media sits on a separate file server, most cheap routers will be able to handle the throughput required for HD streaming fairly easily
If you are facing signal drop issue , add a second router as a repeater (preferably wired)

I use a basic D-Link DIR850-L as the primary router and have two cheap (sub 2K) routers wired as repeaters
I have significantly higher than average data traffic on my internal network yet the router has been up for a year without needing a restart

most routers have a weak processor and adding the load of USB data handling over and above the load of the network stack will bog them down

Yes I agree with what superczar has to say. Over time it will surely degrade the router performance too. Let me tell you my experience with a pogoplug which just has 128mb of ram (most mid level routers have 128mb ram, I might be wrong here). It has a sata port and with a sata 3 ssd connected the transfer speeds were dismal 10MB/S and the gigabit ethernet port, sata 2 port or the USB 3 port didn't help me. The culprit was the internals of the pogo plug read memory and processor.

On the other hand my bananapi gives me a good 30-35 MB/S transfer speeds over the gigabit ethernet network. It uses about 500-600 MB of ram for a file transfer of about 10gb. I have a raspberry pi 2 and I still have not tested it for the speeds and I am sure it wont be any good even with a 1gb ram as the ethernet is 100mbps and it is on the same chip as the USB port.

As I told in my first port for you to play 1080 movies it is better to run your WD live on an ethernet gigabit switch with the file server directly connected to the switch. For the internet connectivity you can use a wifi bridge (which will serve your purpose of browsing and youtube). But for the file server I would recommend something with a gigabit ethernet and sata port (even rasp 2 will do if you are on a budget- trying buying on ebay, I bought one for 2500 using some coupons and cashbacks). Buy a gigabit 5 port ethernet switch though 8 would be better for future expansion.

If you don't have a budget now, save some more and build a proper home network rather than adding a mid level router which can't really handle everything by itself.

Yes I agree with what superczar has to say. Over time it will surely degrade the router performance too. Let me tell you my experience with a pogoplug which just has 128mb of ram (most mid level routers have 128mb ram, I might be wrong here). It has a sata port and with a sata 3 ssd connected the transfer speeds were dismal 10MB/S and the gigabit ethernet port, sata 2 port or the USB 3 port didn't help me. The culprit was the internals of the pogo plug read memory and processor.

On the other hand my bananapi gives me a good 30-35 MB/S transfer speeds over the gigabit ethernet network. It uses about 500-600 MB of ram for a file transfer of about 10gb. I have a raspberry pi 2 and I still have not tested it for the speeds and I am sure it wont be any good even with a 1gb ram as the ethernet is 100mbps and it is on the same chip as the USB port.

As I told in my first port for you to play 1080 movies it is better to run your WD live on an ethernet gigabit switch with the file server directly connected to the switch. For the internet connectivity you can use a wifi bridge (which will serve your purpose of browsing and youtube). But for the file server I would recommend something with a gigabit ethernet and sata port (even rasp 2 will do if you are on a budget- trying buying on ebay, I bought one for 2500 using some coupons and cashbacks). Buy a gigabit 5 port ethernet switch though 8 would be better for future expansion.

If you don't have a budget now, save some more and build a proper home network rather than adding a mid level router which can't really handle everything by itself.

Try the Pi2 on a 100mbps network, you may be pleasantly surprised
Even low compression 1080p is no more than 4Gig an hour so all you need is 4*1024/3600 = 9mbps
Even if you add 100% overhead, you need no more than 18mbps which even wireless g can handle - 100mbps ethernet is way more than you need
Gigabit ethernet comes in handy only during large file copy over a network, not otherwise
More often than not, people end up blaming the network , The bottleneck typically is elsewhere

Just one more tip, wherever possible, use NFS mounts instead of Samba

PS: My storage is entirely on Pi2 now, video playback happens via XBMC (Windows) in the living room, XBMC on a PiB+ in the media room or vanilla VLC on a laptop
The main network is a cheap ADSL modem router from TP Link (on a different subnet acting just as a modem) a DIR-850L (central router), an Airport express (for airplay and range extension), a cheap sub 2K DLink random model for range extension
The backup network is a Airtel 4G modem and a cheap TP Link wireless repeater
The network handles extensive Video streaming and significant all day data traffic for my home automation and has given me no hiccups/no latency/no restarts

The only time I have wished for faster speeds is when I was consolidating data from different drives in different onto the Pi2 but there too, i was just being plain lazy as a one time job would have been better done by a physical USB connection

Even low compression 1080p is no more than 4Gig an hour so all you need is 4*1024/3600 = 9mbps
Even if you add 100% overhead, you need no more than 18mbps which even wireless g can handle - 100mbps ethernet is way more than you need

Yeah you are right, mostly we download max 4gb movies with all these FUPs. But I use my Bpi as a 24X7 torrent server too and downloading so many torrents to a solid state device read usb devices scares me. I use a cheap 160gb sata 2 disk and have nothing to lose if the disk fails, anyway it only has movies and nothing to fret upon for their loss. It is easier to buy a cheap hard disk on olx rather than spending so much on a 128gb usb.

I have not yet tried my rpi 2 and have not explored it yet. I hope it should do well at least as both a torrenting/file server box.

Yeah you are right, mostly we download max 4gb movies with all these FUPs. But I use my Bpi as a 24X7 torrent server too and downloading so many torrents to a solid state device read usb devices scares me. I use a cheap 160gb sata 2 disk and have nothing to lose if the disk fails, anyway it only has movies and nothing to fret upon for their loss. It is easier to buy a cheap hard disk on olx rather than spending so much on a 128gb usb.

I have not yet tried my rpi 2 and have not explored it yet. I hope it should do well at least as both a torrenting/file server box.
I took an 8 GB 2 hour movie as an example actually :)
But why do you need to use a USB or SSD with a RpI
I use the regular external USB drives for media storage , Have 3 EXT4 partition USB external drives totalling 8TB hooked to the RPi server
I earlier used to use an atom based server which served me well for years https://www.techenclave.com/community/posts/391927/
Switched to RPI for its small form factor and extremely low power consumption and completely satisfied with it as a file server/torrent box
(I have massive love for RPIs... :p have 4 in active duty actually, 1 for this, 2 as media players and 1 as a home automation server)

Back