Graphic Cards HBM 2.0 vs GDDR5X

I beg to differ. Nvidia didnt put mankind on the moon! Gaming is bi product of tech advancements which are usually made for hardcore scientific pursuits. Even VR has myriad engineering application. Gaming is ofcourse one of them!

^^ You can beg to differ as much as you want, it doesn't change the history of computing which is totally driven by gaming. As I said already, the most significant operating system and most significant programming language were created to support a game.

The technology that put man in space was a by product of gaming and crypt-analysis driven advancements.

GTX 1070 will be priced upwards of 30k. No way 379$ will come as 24k.
GTX 1080 will be priced between GTX 980 and 980 Ti in India. I am hoping between 42k to 48k.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/articles/geforce-gtx-1080-speed-price/

According to numbers released by NVIDIA, the GeForce GTX 1080 can outperform its GTX 980 predecessor by a factor of 1.6X to 1.8X in recent games. But it’s in VR that performance gets the biggest boost, with close to a 2.5X advantage.
A single GeForce GTX 1080 is faster than two GTX 980 cards linked via SLI, and it even manages to out-perform the current NVIDIA Titan X, a $1000+ graphics card reserved for a small elite.
Because of this efficiency, the GTX 1080 operating frequency can be pushed even further without overheating. The default 1733MHz frequency was pushed to 2114MHz during the NVIDIA launch event, and it was done using the out of the box air-cooled heatsink (at a 67C temperature).
This new GPU features 2560 NVIDIA compute cores (at 1607Mhz) versus 2048 for the GTX 980 (at 1126Mhz). With each core being more efficient, the specs suggest a total 9 TeraFLOPS of computing power for the GTX 1080, versus 5 TFLOPS for the GTX 980.

Previously, NVIDIA was using a 28nm semiconductor process. Also, the 16nm FinFET brings tremendous benefits in terms of power-efficiency and leakage control.

The GDDR5X graphics memory is another critical performance factor. It can move data at a speed of 10Gbps with a maximum of 8GB of memory available to the GPU. The GTX 980’s memory would max out at 7Gbps.

This equates to faster processing times, i.e. framerates. Tell me something, can you really distinguish b/w 60fps and 160fps?[DOUBLEPOST=1462982004][/DOUBLEPOST]
True! I wonder whats after VR and AR!
No faster processing does not necessarily mean more fps.If the memory is not fast enough and the processor is not fast enough the gpu will not be able to provess all the data in real time and game will lag.There is just more data to process in todays games.
If it was lesser data like in previous games then faster processor would give more fps.

The magic number nowadays is 90fps whuch is required for VR.60 fps is obselete.

Hmmm...i wonder how many frames Charles Babbage's analytical engine would give in Crysis! Will it play minecraft @ 60fps?

Proves my point. We would still be using Charles Babbage's analytical engine or something close to that (like was the case till 1940) if electronics and computing was not driven by cryptanalysis and gaming that continuously put them on hyper drive resulting in advancements that would have taken more than a couple of centuries otherwise to come anywhere close if at all. Everything else is a by product of those advancements.

^^ It runs a operating system that was developed as a clone of another OS that was made to run a game and using a programming language that was designed in order to code that game and the OS to run it. It runs on CPU's that constantly evolved driven by gaming.

US Defense has used massive clusters of PS3's to build their own super computers.

Last edited:
Well gaming is an output , and as for OS evolution , wasn't a GUI the first primary target that it can be used by most users rather than typing on the terminal. I dont think gaming was the motivation there . And having a higher memory and better arch means better and faster processing , now you are at liberty to use it as you like , for cryptography , gaming , rendering , clusters for parallel processing for medicinal research, labeling that advances only happen cause gaming industry exist is not right.

Back