Windows Having crazy issues with the microphone on Windows 10

shady8701

Disciple
Hey Guys,

I would really appreciate some help on this problem, as its driving me nuts. My microphone (its a modmic which is attached to the headphones - ATH-M50x) suddenly just stopped working.
Windows detects the mic, shows up as enabled in the "Recording Devices" tab. I have tried playing around with various drivers - Windows default and Realtek versions, but no cigar.
I then tried using a USB adapter, which again shows up just fine, but no voice seems to be recorded on the mic.
I've even tried doing a clean reinstall of windows after formatting the primary drive, but that didn't help either.
Here's the catch - The hardware works - I've tried using the mic on another pc (works fine), and I've tried plugging in headphones to the mic port and changing the device in the audio driver to headphones instead of mic and that works fine as well.
I've tried both rear and front ports for the mic, but nothing works. Do let me know if any of the computer pundits here have any clue what to do.

Abhi[DOUBLEPOST=1518004697][/DOUBLEPOST]BUMP! C'mon guys, help me out on this.

Last edited:
On windows 10 it is a really common issue, at least in my experience.
You are facing this issue just with mic, for me even my headphone doesn't work.
Only way i get them to work is to let them plugged in when i boot up. I have even stopped taking out my headphone jack because of that.
This problem is actually because of display drivers, update your amd/nvidia drivers if my method doesn't work.
If you are on latest driver then try installing older version.

It's a little tough since you haven't even given a clue whether it's a 3.5 mm input or USB, but check and see if you have an option to “"show disabled (hidden) devices” on your sound and settings. Click to show all and reconnect your mic. If it shows up click to make it the default recording device. Be aware that some USB mics are detected like a headset become the default speakers without having any. If you loose your sound go back to sound settings and fix your default playback device to speakers

Back