Hathway on LAPTOP and DESKTOP computers

My hathway connection just started today. I have taken the 512 Kbps Night Unlimited. The connection is working fine on my DESKTOP. But when I connect my laptop to the Cable modem it does not work.

Will internet work only on my Desktop or is there any specific to get this done?

PS: I had entered all the relevant IP details on the Laptop as well. But for some reason the LAN connection shows a Limited only connection.

Also its not that I want to use internet on both the systems at the same time. I just want to be able to access the internet through my laptop as well.

I also will be getting HATHWAY next month.

My friend do have a similar prob.even he want to use it for LAPTOP and DESKTOP...........answer : not possible

Since, they have static IP and they are binded with MAC address of LAN card.Hence,once they are binded with ur Desktop ,it cannot be changed.

[it is possible to change it ,but will require you to give an application for it they will reset it].actually this a very simple procedure can happen in just 2-3min .But they might take along time for this .

another solution is to get a wireless router connected to PC and then you can connect to any laptop you need via WIFI.

I was told by a Hathway engineer that after a Mac address is registered with Hathway that address is permanently kept in their records and you can go back to that Lan card without have to get the binding done for it again. I have 3 Lan cards for which I have got the binding done from Hathways Helpdesk, and now I can run any combination of my 2 Hathway modems with with these 3 Lan cards on my 2 computers.

What you should do is connect the modem to the the Laptop and phone Hathways Helpdesk and ask them to do the binding again, this will register the Mac address of the Lan card in the Laptop, after this both the Mac addresses - that is, from the Desktop and Laptop will be retained in Hathways list for your modem.

Yup, they have a stupid MAC binding procedure! Why the hell can't they simply offer the connection to whichever computer it lan cable is plugged in.

The Cust. Care guy told me that before switching comps, power off your computer as well as the modem.

Attach the cable to the laptop, and then power the laptop and the modem on.

Have not tried this method, but the easier option would be to get a Wifi Router so that you can make use of the laptop anywhere in the house.

I am also on a hathway connx 512kbps NU. I never faced this problem of not being able to use the connx with laptop(s).Sometimes my friends who drop in also attach their laptops and connect to net for dnlding antivir updates etc. And i have never had to call hathway guys to get the binding done for the new MACs. What i do is power off and switch on the modem after connecting the cable(ethernet) to a laptop and assigning ip/dns address etc besides disabling/enabling the lan connection. So far, this method has worked for me.

btw, i am on a scientific atlanta cable modem, that itself has a MAC address. So i guess the mac of modem is bound to ip address and not the individual PC/laptop's MAC.

^^ I finally solved my problem. I had a long call with the Hathway teh support and thankfully they were helpful.

They somehow did a MAC bind with my laptop aftre I called them up. But after that happened. My connection was not working on my DESKTOP. I was totally frustrated, so I went and purchased a Wireless Router(DLink DIR-300) thinking its the only way out of the problem, but then again the wireless router was not getting internet connection. So i called them again and they bound teh MAC id of the Router, but unfortunately after a million restarts of the entire system, it still did not work. Finally the tech guy did a MAC bind with my desktop again and then I used the router to clone the Desktop MAC. and thankfully now things are working fine.

Back