Car & Bike Hatchback Suggestions 6-8Lakhs

swatkats

Skilled
Planning to purchase a 1200cc hatchback.

In Short:

Budget - 8Lakhs max (on an EMI)
Daily travel - 40 kms.
Fuel type - Mostly Petrol, Also considering Diesel if it gives constant performance even after 3-4yrs
Driver - 55-60years male
Considering: i20 elite, i10 grand, swift etc.. with a low maintenance.
Do not suggest: S-cross, Kwid, Baleno
Worried about : Hyundai's Service center ripping off during servicing (read on Team-Bhp)

Suggest other models, Must-Haves in a car.. Inputs from owners appreciated.

Last edited:
for 60 kms get a petrol. However the petrol i20 dsnt feel fast and same engine u get in grand i10 which being lighter car feels better. ritz discontinued so dnt buy a outdated car. you can look at the baleno petrol , u can get the top model or the automatic one. both good for ur dad and within 8 lakhs. i have a new hyundai too and service wont be that high to worry about , all service ppl recommend useless stuff in services if u dont know about cars , btw maruti hatchback cars give better mileage. the engines used in baleno/swift are better than the i20/grand engines.

Price of the S-cross have been reduced. If buying diesel is not a problem then it is a gem of a car and a lot safer than the other choices available in the segment. Not sure whether it will fall under 8L though.

My suggestion would be to go for an automatic car with easy ingress and egress. Based on that, following are few options:

http://www.carwale.com/m/research/q...10615,214210794,214210865,214211000,214211239

You can also check the Tata Bolt or other Hyundai cars, but stick to AT cars for an elderly person.

My father in law picked up WagonR Automatic last year and he also drives about 45-50kms daily. He's a tall man suffering from arthritis, so needed a stress free car. Also, get a feature rich car with Abs, airbags and better tyres. Of the list I have suggested to you, my pick would be Honda Jazz because that CVT engine is kickass and returns great mileage. The prices shown are Bangalore prices, if you live somewhere else, you'll get it slightly cheaper.

All the best.

OT, see if you can get a pre worshipped Honda City or even a Civic or a Corolla for that matter with AT. You can get it as recently my friend bought a used Civic 2009 with just 14k on oddo for 7.2 lakhs. Read about it on TeamBhp why people love preworshipped Civics. Bigger, powerful engines cause less stress on your body as well. And mind you, most of them buy it for long daily drives.

Does it necessarily have to be 1200cc? I'd buy the Figo Automatic 1.5 in that budget.

Brilliant 1500cc petrol engine. Dual clutch automatic transmission. So will be a breeze to drive.

^ Sorry mate, It's not for me. Or else would have considered brands like TATA.

Hyundai, Maruthi, Volkswagen will be mostly preferable. From the specs POV i20 outs Polo but Bolt has it..

abo.JPG

I am driving an Elite i20 petrol (sportz) for last one and half year (done ~13K km). And I am quite happy with it.

Serviced twice - 1 month intial checkup which was Free. And 1 year (10K km) service cost me ~3K.

Spend a bit more and get the Polo TSI. Its a fantastic hatchback to drive - both when driven sedately or when driven hard.

About i20
My friends have the elite with sportz and asta

Under 3000rpm there is substantial lag.The response time is quite poor.

And it's not model specific either.
From what I observed from the drives.The Asta had a bit better response time than sportz.
But hell what's with sportz if doesn't perform well.

Anyways you won't feel any glitch above 3k rpm.

Just additional info thought you must know.

And it's not model specific either.
From what I observed from the drives.The Asta had a bit better response time than sportz.
But hell what's with sportz if doesn't perform well.

Is the sportz a petrol and the asta a diesel or vice versa? Otherwise both have the same drivetrain and should perform identically. Otherwise something is seriously wrong with one of the cars.

@mathrisk Looking at Sport SE petrol. I read people complaining about Hyndai SC ripping customer on spares. True?
I am not aware of that as I never needed any spare till now. For me, everything is in stock and no untoward incident. :)
But, in case it's needed, won't that get covered in 'comprehensive' insurance ?

you havent said if you want a automatic or not. also you have said low running cost. Volkwagen has high service cost , my frnds polo tdi third service cost him 10k for a normal service. I have a hyundai grand petrol. Dont go for the normal 1.2 polo with a pathetic 3 cyclinder noisy engine.

Will research for some more time and proceed. @mathrisk Any other cost for accessories other than Total price?
I was charged (or duped :D) 1K for the basic accessories which normally the dealers throws as 'free gift' - Mats, Mud flaps etc. Anyway that was during the launch time and there was too much hoopla about it (plus no competition and long waiting period) - I was told 'No Offers or Free Gift' :(

Back