Storage Solutions Hard Disk Not Detecting, PCB is Probably at Fault

Mr.J

Skilled
Hard disk in question is WD Black, with date 7 Feb 2013 printed on the label.

Is there any place where I can get PCB of this hard Disk replaced?

There's no clicking sound or anything so I guess disks aren't damaged.

Also this is my second WD drive that failed the exact same way. I've had another WB Black (dated 2008) that just stopped getting detected in BIOS or OS and has been in my desk since. :mad:

Hard disk in question is WD Black, with date 7 Feb 2013 printed on the label.

Is there any place where I can get PCB of this hard Disk replaced?

There's no clicking sound or anything so I guess disks aren't damaged.

Also this is my second WD drive that failed the exact same way. I've had another WB Black (dated 2008) that just stopped getting detected in BIOS or OS and has been in my desk since. :mad:
Changing PCB alone won't work. You will need to swap bios from old PCB to new one. Check on ebay com

Ok this may sound totally insane but i have an old hdd that keeps dying. And the way i fix it is take off the pcb and give it a good scrub with a toothbrush and IPA (spirit).

Still doing this retarded process because it's a very fast 320gb i use for caching certain operations that i don't want to load my ssd with, and my large storage drives are all too slow.

Just make sure you give it a couple minutes to evaporate before turning it on.

I gave up on my beloved Samsung 80gb sata.. the first models from emyr 2002 SP0812C. Found it during house shifting, destroyed it before throwing in scrap.
It's PCB conked off when in the dark in accidentally plugged in sata power in reverse mode...hdds sata power connector lock was damaged hence the sata molex swipped in easily in reverse mode.
In those times only ebay.com was available for shopping such items and not many were familiar with the process+ trust.
If it was in todays world then AE or any other site would have being of much help.

PCB swapping works. Have dealt with swapping on few occasions decade ago with many seagates. No question of bios swap if the pcb relates to that exact disk family and date year.

decade ago

its changed now with 4k drives and drive security. each bios has a mapping of good and bad sectors on each platter due to the sheer amount of density of the disk. so just swapping the bios will get you a working hdd but no data. All the mappings would have gone wrong and will result in data loss.

Ok this may sound totally insane but i have an old hdd that keeps dying. And the way i fix it is take off the pcb and give it a good scrub with a toothbrush and IPA (spirit).

Still doing this retarded process because it's a very fast 320gb i use for caching certain operations that i don't want to load my ssd with, and my large storage drives are all too slow.

Just make sure you give it a couple minutes to evaporate before turning it on.

Finally had courage to try this and it works.

Although I have to mention that the HDD was showing up in BIOS but without any information and size showing as 0.0 GB

Copying data to external now :oops:

Back