Linux Handbrake doubt

I had a 720p video file with size around 800 MB. The sound in it was very low. I opted to use Handbrake and increase the sound. I used one of the preset mkv settings.

720p 30 fps H264

I got an output file with lesser quality than the original. It was not very bad, still inferior to the original in terms of picture quality and definition. The size came down to 510 MB as well. The original file was .mkv as well.

I am just wondering what I should be using in such cases without compromising on video quality. Which presets do you guys try when you are in such a situation ?

Well I mostly encode to HEVC but I would suggest looking at the bitrate instead of Good-Medium-Low.

If you convert to HEVC it has better quality at lower bitrates.For 720p 1000 Kbps would be okay.

I mostly encode to HEVC

I cannot see any option for that. Available options for video encoder are

H264
H264 - 10 bit
H 265
MPEG-4
MPEG-2

Here is the summary

handbrake settings.png

I had a 720p video file with size around 800 MB. The sound in it was very low. I opted to use Handbrake and increase the sound. I used one of the preset mkv settings.

720p 30 fps H264

I got an output file with lesser quality than the original. It was not very bad, still inferior to the original in terms of picture quality and definition. The size came down to 510 MB as well. The original file was .mkv as well.

I am just wondering what I should be using in such cases without compromising on video quality. Which presets do you guys try when you are in such a situation ?
There is no way you can improve audio from a video you already have.
You can amplify the sound with softwares you have in the market but with that you will lose quality/clarity of the sound.

What you did with handrake was convert the video from its existing codec to H264, Which further resulted in more compression and sound+video further deteriorated.

Just search YouTube on ways to amplify sound of a video and see if you are satisfied with the quality of the sound after amplification.

@TheGreatOne , the audio became perfect now. I used 10 dB audio gain. It is just the video that deteriorated (midly).

My question is I worked on an x264 720p MKV with just audio gain to x264 720p MKV. Why I lost on video quality ?
You are compressing a already compressed video that is why you lost even more quality.
You lost both audio and video but it's just that you can only notice deterioration in video quality because it is more visible whereas sound is more audible so it seems fine.

Well this is the custom preset I use but keep in mind this is for converting my TV stuff to HEVC.Never tinkered much with audio though.

upload_2017-10-27_0-14-8.png

upload_2017-10-27_0-14-28.png
upload_2017-10-27_0-15-2.png

upload_2017-10-27_0-15-25.png

Before conversion check the source video file with Mediainfo(comes with K-LIte codec pack as standard or can be an individual download as well) for the parameters of the source file like format, frame rate, bit rate and bit depth.If you decrease the last 3 parameters among these by quite an amount with the same Codec ID then you will see a quality loss for sure.

As for x265 vs H264 I tuned my parameters after going through this link.

http://wp.xin.at/archives/3465

What you need to do is pass through/bypass processing on the video track while only modifying the sound. I googled it for you, and it seems that Handbrake does not have the option, but ffmpeg does

To increase the volume of the first audio track for 10dB use:

ffmpeg -i inputfile -vcodec copy -af "volume=10dB" outputfile

To decrease the volume of the first audio track for 5dB use:

ffmpeg -i inputfile -vcodec copy -af "volume=-5dB" outputfile

http://breakthebit.org/post/53570840966/how-to-increase-volume-in-a-video-without

Thanks. I am really new to dealing with Handbrake. The volume was so poor that even 100 % with headphones didn't help. :headphone:[DOUBLEPOST=1509084643][/DOUBLEPOST]
ffmpeg -i inputfile -vcodec copy -af "volume=10dB" outputfile

inputfile is path to video file in question ?

Last edited:
its an mkv file i see from screenshot. Just install mkvtoolnix gui and extract the audio track from the file. Then open the audio - aac or dts or whatever in an audio editing program like audacity and equalize the volume. save the file and import it in mkvtoolnix gui and add or replace the old audio track. best option is to make new video file with name like audio vol increased etc.

another way is to use mpv or vlc in which you can use soft volume option (which is on by default) to increase audio volume to more than 100%. But this will distort all the high levels and the already load parts will get unbearable.

you can use mkvtoolnix to mux the video and audio back without doing anything to the streams. Its a plain muxer /demuxer. takes less than a minute to mux a file even on low end systems.

edit: never used open shot video editor. if it has direct stream copy option for both video and audio then you can use it to mux to a container of your choice like mkv or mp4.

mkv, avi, mp4 etc are containers. like a box. you put video track (x264, mpeg4 etc...) along with audio track (mp3, aac, m4a etc...) and maybe a subtitle track (srt etc...)

so... you should use mkvtoolnix for mkv files to extract the audio and video tracks. edit the audio track in something like audacity to add gain, lowpass highpass filter bla bla blah and the mux them back into a mkv using mkvtoolnix again. this would be the fastest as you are not re encoding the video again.

mkvtoolnix is a safe and very old tool. i have used it extensively long time back.

btw, if you want to make mp4 instead to play in iphone etc... you should use mp4box to mux.

now coming to reason on why you are loosing the video quality... handbrake is a tool developed to make the life easier for people to encode videos without going through all the manual steps. encoding the video using x264 binary requires you to pass something like 100 parameters and the commandline itself comes out to be few pages long. so handbrake simplifies that by giving options like 720p iphone quality and then assumes many other parameters. this will definitely cause degradation in quality if the video is already encoded since x264 is a lossy codec.

Last edited:
Back