Video Hack the WDTV into a networked snazzy media player and Linux box !

just came across this sticky :) nicely done! repped even though i dont have LCD nor HD media playerzzz... but planning on getting one maybe by the end of this year ...

This thread makes for a very good reading. @Vinayga, Do let us know how the linux install on WD-Live goes.

I presume it would be possible to get Firefox running on the WDTV, and with a wireless keyboard and mouse you have couch-computer..

Cheers,

apande

@apande

WD TV live would not be able to do that much :)

I am still waiting for Vinay's post of running torrent on WDTV live, have almost left hope on this & started looking for other players.

@praks,

Why do you say that it wouldn't be possible to do whatever I said.. Don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning your judgment. Just looking for more information...

I have been checking this player from almost a month now. Being too choosy due to my demands from media player.

About Firefox running on the WDTV, and with a wireless keyboard and mouse you have couch-computer. To install firefox you need OS right ? WDTV Sigma chip wont be able to do that, How about installing drivers for Wireless kb & mouse. Sigma chip is made to decode videos not to provide OS services efficiently.

Praks said:
@apande
WD TV live would not be able to do that much :)

I am still waiting for Vinay's post of running torrent on WDTV live, have almost left hope on this & started looking for other players.

well i think u can do torrents on wdtv. i just saw that one can load optware on the wdtv live and once thats done... transmission can be run on it for torrenting. i am not sure how the processor would handle it... but my fair guess is that it should be able to do it without a problem

Hi frnds.. I am planning to get WD s HD TV Live from US... (one of my frnd is coming down next week)

I hav finally decided to get it after a lot of Web reviews etc... Playon s a little heavy on d pocket... I am getting the WD-live for 106$ from amazon tats jus 5750 bugs...

BUT The issue of concern is that the US model

(NTSC): WDBAAN0000NBK-NESN supports only NTSC

whereas tat available in INDIA supports PAL

either of the 2

(apac=asia pacific)

(emea=europian) i guess it shd be APAc...watever

* Order/Model Number APAC (PAL): WDBAAP0000NBK-PESN

* Order/Model Number EMEA (PAL): WDBAAP0000NBK-EESN

IS the NTSC a problem..

My question

1. will it work on indian tvs

2. will it play thru only ntsc dvd s or blu rays

3. will there be any issue as far as clarity is concerned...

pls help////

Thanks in advance

vinayaga said:
I also just purchased the WDTV Live, so have lost interest in modding the WDTV anymore as I intend to hand it off to my parents. The next set of projects will be on the WDTV live starting next week !!!
vinayaga bro, when are you coming out with your hack for WDTV live...it has been more than 5 months since you have purchased your WD live, pls. share your hack update.... my next purchase of media player ( b/w playonHD, WD live and xtreamer) depends on it :)

Hi, I really like your mod.
Now that XBMC runs on linux... you think we could install on in a WDTV once it runs linux from your methode?
Thanks.

Since the thread is already bumped...

Is the latest WDTV Live hackable ?

PS: I have no idea what all opportunities open once it is hacked but i remember that on older versions torrent downloading and such was possible.

Back