Video Hack the WDTV into a networked snazzy media player and Linux box !

vinayaga said:
What do you mean ? The whole hack I describe is about enabling network access on the WDTV box. What you do with the Network access is then unlimited.

Since you are asking specifically about Youtube, the hack is already in progress !!! See this link below:
youtube WDTV Tools

Ok thanks..I'm jus doin pre buying research so pardon me..thanks for the link, looks promising:)

Hi, I'm looking to get this wonder box but need some info about it's usage.
I have a basic sony Home Theater system (DZ390) and would like to connect the video out of the WDTV to my LCD TV and the audio part to my Home theater.

I want to connect the HDTV to my LCD via HDMI. How do I get to route the audio to my Home Theater in this case?

HDMI to the TV and Optical cable to the Home theater receiver, pretty much the best sound and video you can get. (Does your receiver have a Optical input ? I assume it can decode pure Dolby and DTS signal).
vpraveenis said:
Hi, I'm looking to get this wonder box but need some info about it's usage.
I have a basic sony Home Theater system (DZ390) and would like to connect the video out of the WDTV to my LCD TV and the audio part to my Home theater.

I want to connect the HDTV to my LCD via HDMI. How do I get to route the audio to my Home Theater in this case?

vinayaga said:
And for those who are interested in squeezing every last drop of blood from the WDTV, the firmware I installed comes pre-configured with the transmission server.

This means that the WDTV can happily work as a torrent downloader when you are not watching movies !!! :clap:

Awesome article, Hats off for the effort.

Is there anyway you can have Utorrent / any good torrent client connected to WDTV & download the stuff on ext HDD ? Can we use WDTV to download stuff using torrent ?

Please please post such tutorial. :huh:

I was able to update firmware but after that I am not able to get any message file and also I bought the sasme adaptor as you mentioned but nothing is working is it possible to send me your dat file and let me know how can I get message file please.

Adapter: I personally have the BELKIN Wireless G Plus MIMO Network Adapter which uses the rt2870 chipset :

m-jeri's and others, I appologize for not getting back to your PM's. I'm currently on travel in the US and have not had access to the WDTV for sometime. I still have the original set of files that I used to do the experiment to make the WDTV get to the network (and this included the logging module). I can probably zip them up and send it off to m-jeri when I get back to India next weekend.

I also just purchased the WDTV Live, so have lost interest in modding the WDTV anymore as I intend to hand it off to my parents. The next set of projects will be on the WDTV live starting next week !!!

Thanks Vinayaga for the steps to configure WDTV for wireless. I am using D-Link WHA 110. I was successful installing WDLXTV 5.8.1 and enable logging.
I started facing some issues at step 3 after trying to boot with following files,

net.config
log-saver.app.bin
net.mounts
wireless-mod-rt.app.bin (version is 1.2.4)
rt73sta.dat

At this step, WDTV hangs and I have to power off. The log file shows as below,

Jan 1 00:11:47 WDTV-c7cb2 user.notice root: wireless-mod-rt: AP not associated ... sleeping for 1 sec
Jan 1 00:11:48 WDTV-c7cb2 user.notice root: net.agent: Called for rausb0
Jan 1 00:11:48 WDTV-c7cb2 user.notice root: net.agent: No IP provided, doing DHCP

I even tried setting DHCP=no and provided IP details, but it didnt work and i dont see IP in home screen.

Please help!!

Im not sure how to help as this seems to be a specific case, but I will tell you the things I did when I had such weird problems.

For whatever reason, I always had better success with DHCP than with Static IP's. Because if the connection works, it will anyways get the IP from the router.

Also if I remember right, I had multiple issues with a open security and only when I changed the wireless connection to secure was I able to connect. One advantage I had was that I was able to see the connection log msgs on my router also and figured out that there was some problem in the handshake. And only a few combinations of WEP/WPA and TKIP or AES work inspite of my best efforts. So fiddle with the combinations !

It will eventually happen, keep trying ! I was running around so much when I was configuring this setup that I moved the wireless router, WDTV and my computer to the same room to debug. :hap2:
kamesh99 said:
Thanks Vinayaga for the steps to configure WDTV for wireless. I am using D-Link WHA 110. I was successful installing WDLXTV 5.8.1 and enable logging.
I started facing some issues at step 3 after trying to boot with following files,

net.config
log-saver.app.bin
net.mounts
wireless-mod-rt.app.bin (version is 1.2.4)
rt73sta.dat

At this step, WDTV hangs and I have to power off. The log file shows as below,

Jan 1 00:11:47 WDTV-c7cb2 user.notice root: wireless-mod-rt: AP not associated ... sleeping for 1 sec
Jan 1 00:11:48 WDTV-c7cb2 user.notice root: net.agent: Called for rausb0
Jan 1 00:11:48 WDTV-c7cb2 user.notice root: net.agent: No IP provided, doing DHCP

I even tried setting DHCP=no and provided IP details, but it didnt work and i dont see IP in home screen.

Please help!!

Back