Video H265/HEVC Android Box

dafreaking

Skilled
Budget - Under 5K/ 50 pounds

Looking for recommendations for an Android TV Box. I guess something that runs Kodi. The main requirement is that it should be able to playback HEVC encoded files (VP9/H265). Also should be able to use external harddisks/pendrives. Will connect to my TV through HDMI (duhh)

I got a mk808b+ plus from gearbest @ Rs. 1900, that plays hevc and KODI , but I DON'T recommend it. It works so far, but has a host of minor issues (software mainly), could possibly need tinkering, etc.

Another suggestion: Go with something that comes with a remote ( I wish I had ).
Another thing: Beware , I couldn't find any android video player that has proper DRC capability: so the music is a lot louder than dialogues on regular TV speakers..

There is an android cubetek hevc player on amazon.in 5.5k (No idea about quality)

@avi How is the one that you purchased??

I bought the celeron NUC recently, cant play 1080p HEVC, not on linux atleast. Will try with windows in some days.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendations guys.

@avi When do you expect your device will reach you? I have a couple of spare laptop SATA drives which I could connect to thit so wouldn't mind spending a little more if it's going to be worth it.

Whoaa..Hmm.. I'll probably get mine delivered to the UK or US if it ends up being faster.
No, not much. The official seller of Tronsmart on Ali Express is Mobase. The listing didn't have DHL/Fedex shipping on Ali. If you are buying from Geek Buying, check if they have Fedex/DHL shipping.

Might be a little over your budget but get this. http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_324845.html - 83$ as of posting this. Was 79$ last week.
The chipset has support for 4k x265 HEVC
Check its reviews. Its a windows Atom x8300 machine. So you can do waaay more than what you can do with Android. This could be your download machine/server/desktop/htpc all together. Hook up a 1TB portable to it and you are good to go. Also has a LAN port. Wifi in most of these TV boxes (not all) is very average.

Reviews -
1) http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/03/02/wintel-pro-cx-w8-cherry-trail-mini-pc-sells-for-85/
2) http://androidtvbox.eu/w8-pro-cx-w8...-powered-by-intel-atom-x5-z8300-cherry-trail/ (Has all the media format playback info)
3)

Only flaw that I have come across is that reinstall of the OS or Reset or something is a bit hard, but people have found drivers of other machines (few tablets with same intel atom SOC) that worked completely flawlessly. Also no Windows 7 on this. And the W10 that some people have got was not activated, while for others it was activated.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Performance tests and benchmarks

Video playback by Kodi 16.0 Jarvis runs smoothly and stable. W8 Pro (CX-W8 Pro) mini PC withoutproblem seems plays movies with the resolution of 480p,720p and1080p(24fps, 30fps, 60fps) and also4K (60fps) with various codecs video such as H.264, H.265, MPEG2, MPEG4, RMVB and audio – DTS and AC3. Dolby Digital 5.1 worked fine via HDMI. Also I tested several video formats –AVI, MKV, MP4 (typical formats in which it holds the majority of films) and also videos was played without anyproblems. I was able to play back media from both my USB flash drive and USB-powered 2.5″ HDD without any issues. The tested W8 Pro (CX-W8 Pro) mini PC plays video files in 4K (also 60fps) without any major problems (Big Plus!). Unfortunately, playback video in 4K on Youtube was not stable, and did not work smoothly. Format 1080p work correctly.

Typical 1080p KODI
MPEG2 / MP2 2.0 – 6.6Mbps OK
MPEG4 / MP3 2.0 – 7.6Mbps OK
H264 / AAC 2.0 – 7.2Mbps OK
VC1 / WMA3 2.0 – 25Mbps OK
VP8 / VORBIS 2.0 – 7.8Mbs OK
– –
4K Video
Sintel – H264 / AAC 2.0 – 24fps OK
BBB Sunflower -H264 – 60fps OK
Honey Bees – 96fps OK
Skyfall – H264 / AAC 2.0 – 10Mbps OK
Puppies Bath – h264/AAC 2.0 OK
Cinemartin H265/HEVC OK
Tears of steel – 60fps OK
HD Club Chimei – H264 / AAC 2.0 – 60Mbps OK
– –
H.265/VP9 Video
Tears of steel – H265-HVEC / AAC 2.0 – 15Mbps OK
Youtube – VP9 / 1080p OK

^ Reinstalling the OS is gonna be a bit difficult on that. Also, I dont think it has full HEVC support, more like draft support - should do the trick though.

^ Reinstalling the OS is gonna be a bit difficult on that. Also, I dont think it has full HEVC support, more like draft support - should do the trick though.
Check the reviews. They tested everything. Intel takes a few releases to get everything proper.[DOUBLEPOST=1459960923][/DOUBLEPOST]
Check the reviews. They tested everything. Intel takes a few releases to get everything proper.

Getting greedy..

How good are the android tv boxes for torrents?
For torrenting, I would buy Intel box (Tronsmart Ara X5) and install linux. Linux has many useful clients for torrenting and streaming and you can do lot more on Linux than on Android.

If your usage is Torrenting, Downloading, Streaming and also playing, then get that Intel box.

Back