CPU/Mobo H170 or B150?

Grimrocker

Recruit
I was wondering what are the real differences between an H170 board and a B150? I did check out a few articles, but they never seemed to answer the question conclusively.

Like I know that the primary difference between a Z170 board and the others are the overclocking feature, which you can only do with a K-series skylake processor anyway. I've already bought an i5 6500 at a steal deal of 12.3k :blush: (brand new with warranty of course!) and now I'm looking for a nice future-proof motherboard to go with.

I see that in many other posts, some senior members have recommended a B150 board for skylake builds, but I was wondering what are the REAL additions of using an H170 board over a B150.

And lastly, please suggest me a few H170 (or B150 for the that matter) boards to go with my i5 6500.

Thanks in advance :grinning:

I was wondering what are the real differences between an H170 board and a B150? I did check out a few articles, but they never seemed to answer the question conclusively.

Like I know that the primary difference between a Z170 board and the others are the overclocking feature, which you can only do with a K-series skylake processor anyway. I've already bought an i5 6500 at a steal deal of 12.3k :blush: (brand new with warranty of course!) and now I'm looking for a nice future-proof motherboard to go with.

I see that in many other posts, some senior members have recommended a B150 board for skylake builds, but I was wondering what are the REAL additions of using an H170 board over a B150.

And lastly, please suggest me a few H170 (or B150 for the that matter) boards to go with my i5 6500.

Gigabyte B150M-D3H -7000.

there is actually no benefit ...... well the chipset guidelines are set by intel but manufacturers are free to do anything with them .....

for example: z170 chipsets are only listed to support sli or crossfire ..... but even some gigabyte and msi b150 boards support crossfire ...... look in b150 motherboard which features u want like number of usb ports , m.2 slot and other ports and stuff if u need more than go to h170

imo. though even h110 motherboards are quite good.

Last edited:
B150 has 8x PCI-E 3.0 lanes while H170 has 16 lanes. It basically depends on whether you need M.2 support for PCI-E storage and software RAID support. If neither is necessary, save your money and get B150.

B150 has 8x PCI-E 3.0 lanes while H170 has 16 lanes. It basically depends on whether you need M.2 support for PCI-E storage and software RAID support. If neither is necessary, save your money and get B150.
Both B150 & H170 chipsets have 16x PCI-E lanes and M2 slots. This is regarding Gigabyte motherboards.
I think all brands motherboards have similar specifications.

The only difference between B150 & H170 is that H170 has RAID support.

Gigabyte B150M-D3H -7000,
Gigabyte H170-D3H -9000.

no b150 also has 16 pcie lanes from cpu .....

Get your facts straight buddy before misguiding anybody.

Also try to explain elobarately.

When Intel says 8 lanes on B150, they are not talking about pcie lanes available to the graphics cards. A Skylake cpu itself has 16 pcie 3.0 lanes (doesn't matter what it is, all desktop cpus have this), and these pcie lanes are used for graphics cards .

A GPU will have 16 pcie 3.0 lanes available to it no matter which mobo, Z170, H170, B150, or H110.

The pcie lanes which are different on a H170 and B150 are the lanes available from the chipset. Lanes from the chipset are primarily used to support add on devices on the mobo such as wifi, M.2 slots, and slower device slots on the mobo (Pcie x1, x4 etc.), which do not get the same pcie lanes as the graphics card (from the chipset.)

Both H170 and B150 boards get a full 16x lanes of pcie 3.0 from the cpu for the gpu, the other lanes come from the chipset. Because of that, GPU performance does not decrease.

If you want to know more elobarately then check this : https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...-B170-Q150-Q170---What-is-the-Difference-635/

Last edited:
that
Get your facts straight buddy.

Business Chipsets (Q170, Q150, B150)

SpecificationsQ170Q150B150Processor SupportSkylake-S LGA 1151CPU OverclockingNoNoNoProcessor PCIe Configuration1x16 or 2x8 or 1x8+2x41x16Chipset PCI-E Lanes (Gen)*20(3.0)10(3.0)8(3.0)Max PCIe Storage (x4 M.2 or x2 SATA Express)300DMI VersionDMI3 (8GT/s)DMI3 (8GT/s)DMI3 (8GT/s)Independent Display Ports/Pipes3/33/33/3Mem/DIMMs Per Channel2/22/22/2USB Total (USB 3.0)14(10)14(8)12(6)Total SATA 6Gb/s666Maximum HSIO Lanes**262018FeaturesQ170Q150B150Intel SIPPYesYesNoIntel vPro TechnologyYesNoNoIntel RST12 for SATA/PCI-E RAIDYesNoNoIntel Smart Response TechnologyYesNoNoIntel Small Business AdvantageYesYesYesIntel Small Business BasicsYesYesYes

*In addition to the 16 PCI-E 3.0 lanes from the CPU
**This represents roughly how many PCI-E devices (LAN, USB, Thunderbolt, etc.) are able to use the available chipset PCI-E lanes

well i have read that post of puget systems .... and i was saying same thing both b150 and h170 has 16 pcie lanes from cpu for "graphics card" .... or to be precise x16 lanes

edit: yeah chaos was right i thought he was taking about x16 lanes from Cpu...... but he was talking about pcie lanes from chipset ...... but as i posted above manufactures are free to do what they want so You can also see m.2 slots on many b150 motherboards.

Last edited:
Get your facts straight buddy before misguiding anybody.

If you want to know more elobarately then check this : https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...-B170-Q150-Q170---What-is-the-Difference-635/

These are the additional lanes that connect the chipset to secondary peripherals to the MCH. The 16x for GPU -> CPU is still the same in both - these are CPU lanes. How can they change? When did I say anything about that? There are CPU lanes and there are chipset lanes - completely different things.

There are more lanes for connecting additional things like sound cards, additional raid cards, etc. If you notice all B150 designs, you will notice lower number of PCI-E slots in them compared to H170.

Back