Graphic Cards GTX 960 or R9-380?

Avik Garain

Recruit
I want to buy a GPU for less than 18k. The above two GPUs are my shortlist (which is pretty short). In SP Road, Bangalore, I'm getting GTX 960 for 14k while R9-380 for 17k. I know R9-380 is marginally better than 960 but it's that little increase in performance worth extra 3k? I will be using a Corsair 450 Watts PSU.

i'd suggest the same as psyph3r. the advantage the 380 has over the 960 isn't purely performance. its in long-term viability that the 960 gets trounced.
the 380 has better dx12 capabilities baked into the hardware.
However, as mentioned above, the polaris replacement for the 380/390 is around the corner.
and going by what amd has been saying they will be aimed at the ~$200 market. (which is your budget i.e. you are the target market for polaris 10)
even if they are out of budget a price drop on older 380 or 960 might be possible.

Thanks guys for the speedy replies. I am now thinking to wait around for the next gen architecture (Polaris and Pascal). But when will Polaris be released in Indian market? Isn't June end as suggested by psyph3r a little too soon for Indian market? Further when can I expect a GTX 1060?

Polaris 11 is low end and Polaris 10 is the mid-range one
i know. p11 is targeted for notebooks and wont feature in anything above the 470x. it's p10 that he'll be waiting for.

I dont see it coming up into Indian markets until August. I am being very optimistic about it. If there is any 1080-ti planned, that comes before the lower end.
i fear it might be even longer as the ti version is usually a cut-down of the titan and gp100 isn't due until next year. i dont think Nvidia will launch a replacement for the 960 until 2017.

cards usually start showing up in online stores here within a month of their launch.

Hey guys now the RX-480 is released and its supposed to retail for around 199$ which equals to almost 13333 and I suppose it will be available under 20k in India (but only in retail shops as online prices are higher). But it's being marketed as a VR ready GPU, so I wanted to know if it's only optimised for VR and would give poor performance in normal 900p-1080p gaming like quadro GPUs and if not, how will it's performance compare to existing GPUs? Please help.

Hey guys now the RX-480 is released and its supposed to retail for around 199$ which equals to almost 13333 and I suppose it will be available under 20k in India (but only in retail shops as online prices are higher). But it's being marketed as a VR ready GPU, so I wanted to know if it's only optimised for VR and would give poor performance in normal 900p-1080p gaming like quadro GPUs and if not, how will it's performance compare to existing GPUs? Please help.
Its just launched, yet to release into the market. No benchmarks are available currently, so wait for it.

But it's being marketed as a VR ready GPU, so I wanted to know if it's only optimised for VR and would give poor performance in normal 900p-1080p

VR ready doesn't equate to poor performance on 1080p, if anything it's aimed at making premium VR more accessible to everyone and premium VR like the Rift and Vive require more gpu horsepower.
That means you'll only get much better performance when used normally so don't even compare it to workstation gpu's like the Quadro or Firepro, you should wait for benchmarks but this will be a great 1080p card nonetheless.
tl;dr : it's gonna run just as fine on 1080p and is not locked or limited to VR only.

Thanks guys for the speedy replies. I am now thinking to wait around for the next gen architecture (Polaris and Pascal). But when will Polaris be released in Indian market? Isn't June end as suggested by psyph3r a little too soon for Indian market? Further when can I expect a GTX 1060?
Considering the price of gtx 1080 gtx 1060 will cost more than 20k.

the 'VR ready' statement from AMD is being taken to mean that it will provide performance somewhere near an r9 390/gtx 970.
benchmarks will be out on the 29th of this month i think.

Considering the price of gtx 1080 gtx 1060 will cost more than 20k.
Yes, but I think it will still be better than buying a previous gen card for 6-7k less considering the enormous performance increase in these new cards. Further, competition from AMD cards (prices of the comparable RX-480 would have been settled by then) will not allow them to price it as ridiculously as GTX 1080.

VR ready doesn't equate to poor performance on 1080p, if anything it's aimed at making premium VR more accessible to everyone and premium VR like the Rift and Vive require more gpu horsepower.
That means you'll only get much better performance when used normally so don't even compare it to workstation gpu's like the Quadro or Firepro, you should wait for benchmarks but this will be a great 1080p card nonetheless.
tl;dr : it's gonna run just as fine on 1080p and is not locked or limited to VR only.
Yea thanks, what abt you? You do play PC games right? Which GPU do you have? Are you planning to upgrade it?

Back