Cpu: Intel Core i5-4430
Mobo: Gigaybte B85M-D3H
Ram: Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600MHz
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM
PSU: Circle CPH699 bundled psu with case

Need GPU for Gaming Only @1080p
Only play driving games like TDU2 and Most Wanted, etc
Budget is 10K but can increase to 15K
I wanted to know if i can use my current psu or will i have to upgrade it to something better? Im ready for a new psu but strictly withing 15k(PSU+GPU) . Do you feel i should really upgrade. And where in mumbai can i get a good deal for gfx card. Any store recommended in lamington road? Thanks

Ok but will a gtx 750 ti work with my v existing psu? Since it is a low powered card and does not require any 6 pin power connector.
the concern is not the power rating of the psu but the quality of it. a bad psu can kill your components. no point saving 2.5k only to blow up/burn a 10k gpu right?
a quality psu is among the cheapest components in a pc but also a very important one so no point skimping on it.
btw, if you can budget for 15k then (assuming 2.5-3k is kept aside for the psu) consider the r7 260x(~11k) and the r9 270(~12-13k) too. both are faster than the 750ti albeit more power hungry.

the concern is not the power rating of the psu but the quality of it. a bad psu can kill your components. no point saving 2.5k only to blow up/burn a 10k gpu right?
a quality psu is among the cheapest components in a pc but also a very important one so no point skimping on it.
btw, if you can budget for 15k then (assuming 2.5-3k is kept aside for the psu) consider the r7 260x(~11k) and the r9 270(~12-13k) too. both are faster than the 750ti albeit more power hungry.
Thanks for clarifying. So if i add a corsair vs450+r9 270 will it be ok? Or should i still need a higher end psu?

So if i add a corsair vs450+r9 270 will it be ok? Or should i still need a higher end psu?
the vs 450 with a r9 270 is absolutely fine.
btw, i made a small mistake in my suggestions - i meant to say consider the 260x and 265 as they are ~10k and 11.5k respectively. the 270(non-x) might be a little over-budget at 12-13k.

r7 260x is slower than the 750 Ti. Check youtube for exact comparison videos. Unless one gets the r7 260x for a dead cheap price - say 8k or so, the extra cash for the 750 Ti is worth it. r9 265/270 is faster so those are worth buying if you don't care about the fact that pitcairn is 3 year old tech.

Also certain 260x card bioses have a blank screen issue that the card makers haven't bothered fixing so far.

So now just speaking of brands. Is nvidia more reliable than amd? Or vice versa? I thing both the gpu's would work for me as im not an extreme gamer. My requirements are only to play some casual games like test drive unlimited 2, NFS MW, maybe some other driving games, gta 4, etc. I dont intend playing battlefield, etc. Just any gpu which can do 1080p on these games will work and i need no filters turned on. I saw some videos on YouTube for gameplay with gtx 750 ti and feel that it should do the work for me. Do you feel that r9 270 is massively better or will change my gaming experience completely as opposed to the gtx 750 ti? Considering gtx 750 ti consumes 60w and the amd counterpart consumes more. Does it mean my psu will be under load? So i dont mind getting the gtx 750 ti just because its cheaper, consumes less power, nvidia reliablity, driver updates quickly. Im open to any one provided the corsair vs450 works well with it as i dont want to spend huge on the psu.

Nvidia and AMD are just the reference card makers. You'll have to choose from the third-party manufacturers like MSI, Sapphire etc. But mind you people have different feedback on the after-sales services, reliability etc.
"TI" is just like a little "OC'ed" version. For performance check reviews. Also take the different systems used in the benching into consideration.
Once again VS450 is a very basic version. I wont be surprised if its no different from those el-cheapo local PSU's. Low budget? Get a used/second-hand good-quality PSU.

Also certain 260x card bioses have a blank screen issue that the card makers haven't bothered fixing so far.
Did not know this^. thanks for the heads up.

Once again VS450 is a very basic version. I wont be surprised if its no different from those el-cheapo local PSU's.
the vs is a budget line but its nowhere near the 'cheap local psu' level. those are really bad. the vs will be fine unless you're oc'ing. a used psu might have issues of it's own along with a much shorter lifespan.

"TI" is just like a little "OC'ed" version.
the clock speeds are not the real difference between a ti and non-ti card, it's the number of smm's enabled. in this case the 750 is a binned version of the 750ti (640 vs 512 cuda cores).

brands that are most commonly used among members here are asus, sapphire and zotac. msi and gainward can be considered but they don't have many service centre's in India.

Im surely going in for asus gtx 750 ti 2gb oc edition. I got a quote of 11800/- from lamington road primeabgb. Is this fine? As far as power supply goes im planning to go in for corsair cx430/cx500 based on how much i save on the gpu

Im surely going in for asus gtx 750 ti 2gb oc edition. I got a quote of 11800/- from lamington road primeabgb. Is this fine? As far as power supply goes im planning to go in for corsair cx430/cx500 based on how much i save on the gpu
does it include tax? if it does then it's a good deal. also be aware that stores sometimes charge 2% more for any type of card payments.
the cx430 is 3k online and the cx500 is about 4.5k but the cx430 will be able to handle the load of your system with ease.
unless you're planning on buying a more powerful gpu anytime soon, i don't think the higher wattage will be worth the extra 1.5k since you won't use it.

What is the difference in the cx430 and vs550 except for the 80+ rating?
the vs line is their low-end series and sold mostly in developing markets while the cx is their general entry level psu.
btw, since you've decided to buy a new psu, i should point out that seasonic and antec are better quality. if you're able to get a seasonic s12 430w or an antec vp450 for a similar price then go for it instead of the corsair.

here's the new psu tier list for reference
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Considering the ampere on the 12v rail. Antec has 18amps on +12v and corsair vs550 has 42amps. Also cx430 has 32amps. So is this significant. I have always heard of corsair as a trusted brand. I would definately like to check out seasonic since even in international markets it is well acclaimed

The antec is a dual rail design so it has two 12v rails with 18 amps on each for a total power output of 432 watts. the corsair vs550 has a max power output of 504 watts and the cx 430's max load on the 12v rail is 384 watts. you're system will run off a 350 watt psu even (but don't risk it as the good quality ones are 400w+) so all three choices are fine - only price and quality would be the deciding factors.

A higher amperage on the 12v rail is sort of pointless in this scenario because your system will not exceed 300 watts even at max load. a computer will only draw as much power as it requires so adding a more powerful psu has no effect on it. the extra wattage would be fine if you plan to upgrade the gpu in the future but outside of that scenario it's extra money spent for no benefit.

most psu's show maximum efficiency at 50-60% load which is why i'm suggesting a 400-450 watt psu.
at the 400-450 wattage range try to get the highest tier psu you can afford.

corsair's reputation is not what it was. they used to re-brand seasonic psu's initially (hence the quality) but they have now switched to channel well technology as their oem supplier. as a result their psu reliability and performance has gone down.
they still use seasonic psu's but only in their top-of-the-line models.
Also, a TE member here had a lousy experience when he gave a faulty psu in for rma under warranty.
That being said, it's not like corsair is a bad choice - just letting you know that there are better psu's for around the same cost.

Basically don't go with anything below tier 3 from the psu tier list and you should be fine.

Last edited:
Back