Graphic Cards GTX 1060 paired with AMD FX-4100

Anil3

Recruit
Hi guys. I'm planning to upgrade my current gpu gtx 650 to gtx 1060 6gb.

Considering i have an AMD FX-4100 CPU will this be fine.. will my CPU bottleneck the GPU by a lot? Is it an worthy upgrade considering the CPU pair up?

Unfortunately, it will bottleneck your GPU by a lot.
What resolution do you game at?

I suggest go for the GPU now and buy a new CPU later. You can get a used FX 8 series processor if you don't wanna spend on a new mobo (will still need to check the mobo as not every mobo can handle a FX 8 series CPU) or get a new Intel CPU+mobo combo.

Actually, NVIDIA cards have better multi-threading capabilities in DX11. So the bottleneck would be less than with an AMD card.If you game at 1080p or higher and don't play a few certain CPU intensive games such as GTA V or online multiplayer games, you should be OK for the time. Try overclocking your CPU as well.

Normally I game at 720p, because my current gpu and cpu combo can't handle higher resolution at payable FPS. For the games that it can handle such as DOTA 2 and CS: GO play at my monitor's native resolution of 1440x900 and I don't intend to game at high resolution and maxed out settings.. as longs as I can have good fps at medium settings it would be good enough. As you mentioned I will upgrade the cpu after few months but as of now just looking at not spending too much to assemble a whole new rig all together..

GTX 1060 is a massive overkill for your requirements. It is a card which can play Full HD maxed out! I'd say if you are not going to upgrade your monitor in near future do not invest in a 1060. You should rather get a 750ti which will be better suited for your resolution and won't break the bank. No need to upgrade the CPU in that case either.

Normally I game at 720p, because my current gpu and cpu combo can't handle higher resolution at payable FPS. For the games that it can handle such as DOTA 2 and CS: GO play at my monitor's native resolution of 1440x900 and I don't intend to game at high resolution and maxed out settings.. as longs as I can have good fps at medium settings it would be good enough. As you mentioned I will upgrade the cpu after few months but as of now just looking at not spending too much to assemble a whole new rig all together..
In that case RX 460 should be sufficient for you and its much cheaper as well @9.6k for 2GB or 11.3k for the 4GB.

i agree, unless paired with a monitor and cpu upgrade the 1060 would be paying more for performance you can't tap.
not sure if this is useful info for you but the gtx 1050 is in the works.

Back