Graphic Cards Graphics Card Upgrade

aKp1

Disciple
Hi guys!

Currently I have an old machine with GT440 card! It's still working!
But I am planning to upgrade the machine!
It has a Cooler Master Thunder 450W PSU, 8gb ram, Intel Pentium AE G3258, Gigabyte B85M-DS3H!

Please suggest a good graphics card in around 10k which can give a decent gaming performance!
Next upgrade will be 3 years later!

Also will I have to upgrade the PSU too? Will it bottleneck with a newer card?

Rating of your PSU is not good, but that's all you got. If it's working fine, use it.

New graphics are being launched which should push the price down. But yet to happen. You can wait for few months and you may likely to find 950 in your budget or any new card with similar performance. If you want to buy one now, get 750Ti.

Yes it is working good! I could even extract an OC of 4.1GHz stable! Do you think a 950 is better than 750Ti?

What is your monitor's resolution??
It is an LG IPS LED 24" FHD monitor[DOUBLEPOST=1470647126][/DOUBLEPOST]
yes it is, by uite a bit.
however, in your budget you can consider a gtx 960, rx 460 or even an rx 470.
all three are sub 150w and will work off your psu.
But it seems RX470 is not yet available in India, is it?
And it extends my budget by 6k!

Last edited:
But it seems RX470 is not yet available in India, is it?
And it extends my budget by 6k!
My bad, i mistook your budget as 20k instead of 10k.
If your looking to get something to last you 3 years then i'd also suggest the second hand market like the poster above suggests.
and he's also correct about the 750ti being the bare minimum. problem is, it's the bare minimum today so, it might not have a very long useful life.
for e.g. i've got the game xcom 2 in my hands right now and the case says gtx 770 or radeon 7970 under the recommended gpu.

Right! I think I can wait for a month or two! But given that my card is now crapping with its fan going nuts, there maybe a time of emergency where I'll have to replace it! So for that if I can go for a used one GTX960?
Also I couldn't find a good deal over a used GTX960 over olx, quikr or ebay and neither on our community!
Anyway I can find some refurbished Graphics Card here or there?

Going by your CPU and PSU, I'd suggest getting the RX 460 when its available. For emergency, get a new or used 750 Ti.

As mentioned above, RX 460 will be good choice based on OPs requirements considering it will be very easy on the PSU (75w max power req) and will give good performance on full hd but do consider that it will be available after some time. Also it will cost you somewhere between 12-13k which slightly over budget.

As for GTX 960, it is ~14% faster than a 460 and on olx you can pursuade the sellers to go for 10k. Ive seen 960s selling for that much. You can mention that similarly performing 460 will be released soon for 12k so it doesnt make much sense to buy a used card above 10k.

I dunno but am leaning on GTX 960! The 460 seems to be a bit lagging to 960! Maybe I'll wait for a month or two until Diwali so that I can grab some deal over the GTX 960 or something!

Thank You guys for all your help! :)

pardon me OP, piggybacking on your thread.

gyaani log, would it make sense to buy a used gtx 950 now over an rx 460 (2 or 4gb)?! or, buying a used gtx 960 over the 460? i read 960 is faster than 460. need one for a friend, with amd fx6350 as the processor.

pardon me OP, piggybacking on your thread.

gyaani log, would it make sense to buy a used gtx 950 now over an rx 460 (2 or 4gb)?! or, buying a used gtx 960 over the 460? i read 960 is faster than 460. need one for a friend, with amd fx6350 as the processor.
No worries bro! But looking at the performance/price ratio, it doesn't stand fit in the row!
Official AMD pricing of 460 is 150$ or around 8K INR but since it is priced 12k for 2gb model, it really doesn't make sense to get that and also the 470/480 are almost at twice the performance for only a gap of 3-5k! as 470 is parked @16k for base model! It still seems that a GTX 960 will make much more sense than 460 as it outperforms it! I am too now looking for someone to upgrade his system and give away his GTX960 to me:D

Bro @vyral_143 , it's new :(
Purchased 8 months back!
What should I do now?
Anyone you know of who is about to sell a 960?

None at present I know is selling a GTX960. Coming to power supply, ratings of it are similar to Antec VP450. However, I am sceptical running a GTX960 on it. You may use it and card may run. But across forums, it's not recommended to use for the config you would have after card upgrade.

No worries bro! But looking at the performance/price ratio, it doesn't stand fit in the row!

that rhymes good! :D

Official AMD pricing of 460 is 150$ or around 8K INR but since it is priced 12k for 2gb model, it really doesn't make sense to get that and also the 470/480 are almost at twice the performance for only a gap of 3-5k! as 470 is parked @16k for base model! It still seems that a GTX 960 will make much more sense than 460 as it outperforms it! I am too now looking for someone to upgrade his system and give away his GTX960 to me:D

Used GTX960 is best bet for both of you. @aKp1 and @Kilroyquasar
RX460 is compared to GTX 950 here. GTX960 would definitely have some edge over it. Getting a used one at 10-11k is not difficult.

PS: I sold mine for couple of weeks back :p

alright. so back to square one (had started from the hunt for a 960, on seeing vyral's FS thread; he 'ditched' me by writing SOLD :p)

so no problem with fx6350 as the proccy?

Back