Graphic Cards Graphics Card upgrade suggestion

mk76

Adept
For last 2 weeks, my pc has been crashing a lot. It would freeze display + no input response then hard reset.
Today it went over the edge with lots of bsods. Somehow looked like AMD ATI CC / drivers were conflicting. Also I remember, weeks ago windows update interfered with display drivers and I had to restore in order to get pc running.

Anyways to cut short, I set up display on to board display and since then pc is working fine. So in the market for new card

Setup
Gigabyte 880-GMA-USB3 FFE
AMD Phenom II X4
Corsair 4Gb Vengeance x 4
Corsair VX 450
CM Elite 430 cabinet
- Sapphire 4850 - Sourced from US years ago. Has been running fine all the time.

What would be better - AMD or NVIDIA ?

Needs
- I have paused all my gaming just to keep Jr out, as long possible :D. Although would like to try GTAV if card is capable
- Other needs is frequent editing using LR / PS + Video slideshow maker etc -> for home albums/videos.
- Budget would be 8k .. Max upto 10k. The lower the better.
- Top requirement would be good A.S.S ( Location NCR)
- Open to used ones under warranty

Last edited:
Thanks @vyral_143 @bssunilreddy for recommending.

At that budget, 750Ti would fit your wallet.
Just for my knowledge what is the max card my psu could handle?
Are there any good ATI cards within my budget?
My board offers only PCI 2.0 . Does it makes sense to go for PCI 3.0 card?
Is there a more vfm card that require mild budge stretching?

Last edited:

~VX450 is legendary PSU. It can also handle GTX960.
~There is no harm in getting PCI 3.0 card
~If you can get GTX950 from US for approx $140-150, it's very good deal. Its Indian pricing is not worth though.

Thanks @vyral_143 @bssunilreddy for recommending.

You can also look at 7790 or r7 260x from amd. It is slightly cheaper and slightly slower. It also eats more power. If you can increase your budget you can also look at the r9 380x or r9 285.

I would suggest the 750 if you can't increase your budget.

~If you can get GTX950 from US for approx $140-150, it's very good deal. Its Indian pricing is not worth though.

I can possibly source that card. I am worried about warranty though. My pc should expect some abuse from my kids as they explore and learn.
So warranty and good A.S.S is something I would prefer first.

4 months old Zotac GTX 970 for 20k or New MSI 280 for 15k . Which is better?

@vyral_143 .

Also is there anything to worry about Zotac A.S.S

I would say GTX970. IIRC, Zotac A.S.S. is handled by Aditya Infotech which also handles A.S.S. for Sapphire cards quite well.

You would need to, as it requires minimum 500W PSU to work.

Source: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-970/specifications

970 is a 145W card and will run just fine on a VX450. The card needs roughly 12amps at stock and probably around 15amps when overclocked to 1500 MHz at max.

The VX450 can supply 33A without much trouble as seen in reviews which is way more than enough.

That 500W recommendation is probably to ward off people from using the card on el cheapo PSUs.

Don't go for amd cards, Lately their drivers have caused me trouble and i have seen no good optimisations done for their cards in recent games!

Finally got and installed 8 months used Asus Strix GTX960.
However facing one issue -> I need to do a dual monitor setup (DVI + HDMI). But the card displays either on DVI or on HDMI but not both? Could there be issue with the card?

@vyral_143 @bssunilreddy

Back