Graphic Cards Graphics card for 1440p gaming

Arkon

Disciple
I finally purchased a QHD monitor (Dell U2515H) and need a graphics card to go with it. My primary use is gaming, though I mostly play RPGs and not much FPS. Prime has these cards listed around 30k.

My current specs are:

Processor: Intel i5 3550
8 GB RAM
PSU: Corsair 650 TX

I was thinking about buying the Gigabyte GTX 970 OC card for 26.8k. However, is GTX 970 good enough for 1440p gaming? Or should I go for the Asus Strix 390x for 30.8k? Is my PSU sufficient for the 390x ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

An OC 970 is very good, especially the G1 gaming 970 if you are looking only at gigabyte. Though a 980 would be better equipped for 1440 and higher though that might require a significantly higher budgent from you. I usually don't go beyond 1080 when using a 970, even though you can.

What are you getting for 26.8k, the windforce oc or g1 gaming?

An OC 970 is very good, especially the G1 gaming 970 if you are looking only at gigabyte. Though a 980 would be better equipped for 1440 and higher though that might require a significantly higher budgent from you. I usually don't go beyond 1080 when using a 970, even though you can.

I have an asus 970 strix in my second rig that runs at 1500/8000. While its decent, it still is not good enough for 1440p gaming in modern titles. It lags in Witcher 3 pretty badly. Even with hairworks off, it drops to 35-40fps in fights.

In comparison the 980 Ti in the other rig runs 1440p flawlessly. If you want 1440p to run lag free, then the Fury X or 980 Ti are the only options.

I have an asus 970 strix in my second rig that runs at 1500/8000. While its decent, it still is not good enough for 1440p gaming in modern titles. It lags in Witcher 3 pretty badly. Even with hairworks off, it drops to 35-40fps in fights.

In comparison the 980 Ti in the other rig runs 1440p flawlessly. If you want 1440p to run lag free, then the Fury X or 980 Ti are the only options.

As i said while you can go to 1440 with a 970, but it isn't ideal. 970 is the best value for money 1080p card that covers 95% of the games and my g1 gaming works fine without any OC. (not a fan of overclocking)

and yes 980ti would let you do whatever the hell you want with your game. ie Skyrim 100 dragons :p

Go for 390/390x if you can handle the heat it dissipates + 350W power consumption. But then, 30k for 390X can't be overlooked.

AFAIK there are 2 cards worth buying depending on budget GTX970 and GTX980 Ti. But if you can get good deal on GTX980....it's the ideal card to go for 1440p.

I finally bought the Windforce GTX 970 OC for 26.5k. I had actually negotiated an 1k price less with Primeabgb, but when I went to their shop to pick it up after work, it was close to their closing time and the guy I spoke to had left for the day. They refused to give me the discount telling there has been a mix up of model numbers so I could do nothing much about it. They wanted me to come back the next day which wasn't possible, so I opted to pay the 1k extra :(.

I didn't have a budget for 980 :(, and my PC is in a room without AC so I felt the 390X will probably be too hot in the summer. Plus I didn't want to buy a previous generation card like 390X.

I finally bought the Windforce GTX 970 OC for 26.5k. I had actually negotiated an 1k price less with Primeabgb, but when I went to their shop to pick it up after work, it was close to their closing time and the guy I spoke to had left for the day. They refused to give me the discount telling there has been a mix up of model numbers so I could do nothing much about it. They wanted me to come back the next day which wasn't possible, so I opted to pay the 1k extra :(.

I didn't have a budget for 980 :(, and my PC is in a room without AC so I felt the 390X will probably be too hot in the summer. Plus I didn't want to buy a previous generation card like 390X.

There's nothing previous gen about the 390x mate. The Hawaii arch is way more forward thinking that maxwell GM204. Given a chance, I'd swap my GTX 970 with a 390x in a heartbeat.

I got a real deal for the 970 else would have never bought it. Even though Hawaii/Grenada eats more power, in the long run it'll perform much better, especially when DX12 games with Async compute and larger texture sizes start appearing.

between driver updates and the extra hardware they pack in i've actually noticed amd gpus staying relevant longer.
gcn came out to take on fermi/kepler and 4 years later it's still competing with maxwell. 'underrated' comes to my mind.
that being said, an oc'ed 970 for 26.5k is a good deal. enjoy :D

Back