Budget 0-20k GPU upgrade suggestions (VFM + Badass)

lefty

Recruit
Questions
  1. What is your budget?
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K
    • Motherboard - Gigabyte Z77M-D3H
    • GPU - 0
    • RAM - Corsair 4GB
    • Monitor - Panasonic PV8
    • PSU - Corsair VX450
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - Panasonic PV8
    • PSU - Corsair VX45
      1. CPU - Intel Core i5-3570
    • Motherboard - Gigabyte Z77M-D3H
    • RAM - Corsair 4GB
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • GPU -
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes, Final
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Mumbai
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • No
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Witcher 3
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1920X1080
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit

@lefty Also checkout R9 285. You can source a GPU from Amazon USA in deals. However be reminded that it would not have warranty applicable in India.

If you could stretch your budget for 5k more get gtx 970 4gb
Ultimate VFM

Also if you are getting the 960 go for 2 gb ver
No need for 4gb one

Thank you Vyral, well aware about the warranty....im fine without it. GPUs are really overpriced in this great cunt-ry.
Thanks rahulyo for clearing that up.
and thanks Demon...more fodder for thought.

Since playing is your intension...go with Nvidia 750ti you wouldnt have to change your GPU then. Any higher would require you to upgrade your smps.

Ok guys....so after much thought, have decided to start from scratch and go for an AMD based gaming build.
Please check the config and offer suggestions/improvements.

Questions
  1. What is your budget?
    • 35-40K
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - AMD FX-6300
    • Motherboard - ?
    • GPU - Asus Strix GTX 960
    • RAM - ?
    • Monitor - Dell S2216H
    • PSU - ?
    • Case - ?
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • None
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • GPU -
    • MOTHERBOARD -
    • RAM -
    • CASE -
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes, Final
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Mumbai
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • No
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Witcher 3
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1920X1080
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit

• CPU - AMD FX-6300 -8000,
  • Motherboard - Asus M5A97 R2.0 -8100,
  • GPU - Asus Strix GTX 960 2GB -15500,
  • RAM - Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1600Mhz -3300,
  • Monitor - Dell S2216H 22" LED -8300,
  • PSU - Antec VP550P -4000,
  • Case - Corsair SPEC-01 -3500.
  • TOTAL -50,700.

Thanks bssunilreddy...is there a mini ITX motherboard I could get for this setup? I really like the idea of a portable build...

fyi, the fx 6300 will be slower than the i5 3570.
you're original system is actually a good base to build up on.
good cpu and chipset with a solid psu. i still think your first idea of adding a gpu to this system is better (and cheaper).
add an ssd and you'll have a killer system for anything.

Last edited:
Thanx crapmypants. Ok so i guess im going to stick with the i5.....will pick up the 750TI. How is this - Asus GTX750TI-OC-2GD5 for 12K?
have already picked up the benq EW2440L for 11.5K and a coolermaster keyboard/mouse for 3K....and a new super-comfy high-backed chair for 5K :)

Last edited:
If you want to run Witcher maxed out at 1080P, you need a gtx 970. Nothing cheaper will work. This game eats GPUs for breakfast.

yes, the asus 750ti is a safe purchase.
if you're going for the 750ti then shop around a bit. 12k was the launch price so you should be able to get it for ~1-2k less. local dealers will charge less. online deals such as paying with certain banks credit/debit cards can net you ~5-9% off. either way you should be able to shave of at least 1000 bucks on the price.

if you can, get a gtx 960 @15k will provide roughly double the performance of the 750ti for an extra 3-4k in cost. (hard to explain how it's worth it but you'll see it for yourself when you play witcher)
check this out to get an idea:http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-750-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-960/2187vs3165
(ignore the prices as it just Usd displayed in Inr)

also, both amd and nvidia have slashed prices for the holiday season so, if possible, wait a few weeks to see if the price drops reach our shores.

Last edited:
Stick with your existing i5 3570k cpu and add the following components:

• GPU - Zotac GTX970 4GB -25500,
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance 4GB 1600Mhz -1900,
  • Monitor - Dell S2216H 22" LED -8300,
  • PSU - Seasonic M12II 520w -5900.
  • TOTAL -41,600.
This above config will make a great Gaming PC which will last 3-4 years.

Back