Govt to limit chinese courier item as gift to maximum 4 times a year

Read in today toi paper goverment to restrict items which passed as gift by china bought from alixpress,shein etc to free only 4 times a year Bad news for shopping cheap stuffs and passing as gift by chinese sellers to pass customs.So only 4 gifts(upto rs 5000) to a spectic address can be done without customs

Full Article:

Govt set to strike at Chinese e-tailers bypassing duty
Will Crack Down On Inflows Sent Under Guise Of Gifts
John Sarkar & Sidhartha TNN

New Delhi:

The government has decided to crack down on inflow of goods from Chinese e-tailers, who send consignments directly to consumers in India under the guise of gifts.

The government exempts ‘gifts’ of up to Rs 5,000 received from abroad. While the clause’s original purpose was to allow NRIs to send gifts of low value to families back home free of customs duty, it has been alleged

that sellers on several Chinese online retail platforms, including Club Factory, Shien and Aliexpress have been sending goods marked as gifts into India to avoid import duty.

India Post, which collects duty on imported goods, may allow only four gifts per year to a particular address according to new norms that are under discussions, top government sources told TOI. The move is expected to give a fillip to Indian sellers facing stiff competition from their counterparts on Chinese platforms.

In addition, India Post will set up 20 export hubs to give a boost to local sellers in cross border trade. “We need to help Indian sellers reach global markets and that can be done through e-commerce in a very cost effective way,” said a source. The department of industrial policy and promotion is leading the initiative. An Indian retail source said Chinese e-commerce websites have become popular in India as they are able to keep the prices very low because the goods are dispatched through China Post and more often than not marked as ‘gifts’ to evade customs duty.

The products are at least 50-60% cheaper than what’s available on Indian e-commerce sites like Myntra or Jabong. “It’s even cheaper than Sarojini Nagar market. You can get a frock for less than Rs 500,” said media executive Monami Thakur, who shops frequently from Chinese e-tailers.

The popularity of Chinese e-commerce sites has been steadily rising in India. For instance, Shein’s mobile app has crossed five million downloads in India, it delivers to 15,000 pin codes in Tier I and Tier II cities and it is handling over 10,000 orders from India daily, according to industry estimates.

Similarly, Club Factory, Aliexpress, Romwe are among some of the other top-performing Chinese e-commerce apps doing brisk business in the Middle East and India, according to analytics firm App Annie. Club Factory, more than half of whose 70 million global customers are from India, is ranked among the most popular apps on Google Playstore.

A preliminary examination showed most of these Chinese online platforms list their products in rupees, while some have even held fashion shows across the country — Club Factory had signed up Bollywood actor Ranveer Singh for an ad — and use social media such as Facebook and Instagram to target users. Several Indian fashion bloggers, too, have dedicated online videos on navigating these sites.

“They don’t pay customs duties or the goods and services tax (GST). They don’t display maximum retail price (MRP) as is mandatory according to the Packaged Commodities Rules 2017 amendment that covers foreign e-commerce sites doing transactions with Indian consumers,” said a senior executive at a large Indian e-tailer

And the bhikari govt which has been screwing the economy since the demon fiasco is trying to make money from any source possible. Looting the RBI wasn't enough, now they want duty and GST etc. on $1-2 items people buy from Chinese sites because they're that cheap in the first place.

Middle finger to this govt. They are actually f**g themselves and creating hate factor. Setting up their own tomb. Anyways their days are nearing. Eat whatever cums in your plate.

Most countries around the world are struggling to deal with chinese mercantile machinery. US too has finally realized that free trade isn't all roses and has started the tarriff war with china. It is not just about goods, Chinese merchents have been mailing opiods directly to US customers causing deaths in the 10s of thousands (~50000 in 2017).

The struggle against Chinese economic takeover will be the real war of this century. It is good to see that people in power are at least aware of these problems. The response will need some serious strategic thinking. India, with it border problems, is in a really unenviable position.

Actually I have bought a lot of items on AliExpress. I've never mentioned anything and it was sent with original description and not as gift.

I think this is targeted against those who undervalue and import as gift to avoid duty

Exactly. None of my items were ever declared as gifts. They were undervalued which is obvious but description etc all was original.
Now just coz of some idiots using this way unethically we are to suffer.

Had to happen one day. With the chinese, we are in a race to the bottom, which is not exactly good. The rest, as @dpandey says, is inevitable....

The main issue which I see is that we have a ton of middle men who will buy this and sell high, which is the issue. Plus, we need to improve manufacturing in India aka Make In India needs a shot in the arm.

Actually I have bought a lot of items on AliExpress. I've never mentioned anything and it was sent with original description and not as gift.

I think this is targeted against those who undervalue and import as gift to avoid duty
Chinese sellers do that. I will upload pics later as reference.

All these rules and taxes are only meant for us morons in the middle class to pay on our purchases. Most of our politicians of all stripes, the many bureaucrats and most of the rich and powerful get away without paying anything.

All these rules and taxes are only meant for us morons in the middle class to pay on our purchases.
Openly declared taxation is one of the most honest things govts do. To hold it against the govt is to act against your own interest. If the govt isn't taxing you, it will be borrowing money on your behalf. You will have a good time till you (i.e the people of the country) can't pay off the debt.

Post second world-was history is stewn with cases of countries enjoying a good time on debt and then going bankrupt. Recent examples are Puerto-rico, Greece, Sri-lanka and pakistan. We can talk about details but it is the same pattern.

US debt at 20 trillion is a ticking time bomb. They contain their inflation by exporting the debt as treasury bonds. A ginormous military also helps. India is not in a position to park its debt overseas, Any deficit almost immediately turns into inflation (which is a tax).

What you really want is reduction in Govt expenditure and size. Unfortunately, the marxist indoctrination in India is so strong, everyone expects govt to solve every problem. What they are indirectly doing is asking for more money to be taken away from them/us.

And then there are those who believe that govt can be made efficient. I have an 'idiot' sticker that I would like to stick on their forehead.

Most of our politicians of all stripes, the many bureaucrats and most of the rich and powerful get away without paying anything.
Yes. And not just ours. There has been no time/place in history when powerful people haven't gotten away. Every attempt to create a society without a group of overlords has failed. I don;t want to sound like a defeatist, but this is not a battle I want to take up. There are many other areas where your efforts will have a higher payoff.

Last edited:
All these rules and taxes are only meant for us morons in the middle class to pay on our purchases. Most of our politicians of all stripes, the many bureaucrats and most of the rich and powerful get away without paying anything.

Just yesterday a friend was joking that jio gives unlimited calls for less than 150 bucks a month (even indian railways is switching to them for CUG), but the politicians still get what 15k per month as telephone allowance?

Direct only declared taxation is one of the most honest things govts do. To hold it against the govt is to act against your own interest. If the govt isn't taxing you, it will be borrowing money on your behalf. You will have a good time till you (i.e the people of the country) can't pay off the debt.

Post second world-was history is strwen with cases of countries enjoying a good time on debt and then going bankrupt. Recent examples are Puerto-rico, Greece, Sri-lanka, pakistan and a few others. We can talk about details but it is the same pattern.

US debt at 20 trillion is a ticking time bomb. They contain their inflation by exporting the debt as treasury bonds. A ginormous military also helps. India is not in a position to park its debt overseas, Any deficit almost immediately turns into inflation (which is a tax).

What you really want is reduction in Govt expenditure and size. Unfortunately, the marxist indoctrination in India is so strong, everyone expects govt to solve every problem. What they are indirectly doing is asking for more money to be taken away from them/us.

And then there are those who believe that govt can be made efficient. I have an 'idiot' sticker that I would like to stick on their forehead.

Yes. And not just ours. There has been no time/place in history when powerful people haven't gotten away. Every attempt to create a society without a group of overlords has failed. I don;t want to sound like a defeatist, but this is not a battle I want to take up. There are many other areas where your efforts will have a higher payoff.

war has a way to remove such debts and start from a clean slate. i think this is what donny is trying to do. make an economic situation which is really dire and push every country to the brink of war. the country with the lowest patience starts it and the rest join in to reduce each other to ashes. After the war, the remaining people gather around and start building everything from scratch. If everything is reduced to rubble, there will be no records to run after. No debt, etc.

war has a way to remove such debts and start from a clean slate. i think this is what donny is trying to do. make an economic situation which is really dire and push every country to the brink of war. the country with the lowest patience starts it and the rest join in to reduce each other to ashes. After the war, the remaining people gather around and start building everything from scratch. If everything is reduced to rubble, there will be no records to run after. No debt, etc.

Also tons of money to make in the 'rebuilding'. Look at af/iraq

I don't think US involved in the opium wars.
No, we were. The opium was grown in India and then when their drug enforcement dumped the shipments into the harbour. The Brits used Indian muscle to fight them, twice :)

They lost and then the concessions were surrendered. It always amuses me that China got opened up by drug dealers. The Brits were desperate to trade with China but the only thing the Chinese wanted in exchange was silver. They didn't need anything from the west. The Brits wanted tea & porcelain. Tea comes from China. Brits then tried to grow tea in India to keep import costs down.

We even put down their boxer rebellion in the early 20th century. So before WW2, we had already attacked China three times. We policed the region for a century and a half right up to WW2. From Suez to Singapore, we were the hegemon. That is why we have an ocean named after us.

Do the Indian history books talk about any of this ? no, all forgotten post independence.

The Americans get bashed for being the global police. Yet we were doing just that for over a century in the region. Keeping the peace. Indian currency circulated in the middle east until the 60's. We were there earlier.

Last edited:
Back