Google launches Nexus 5X & Nexus 6P

swatkats

Skilled
  • Nexus 5X will be priced at Rs31,900 (for 16GB variant) and Rs35,900 (32GB)
  • Nexus 6P will be available at Rs39,999 (32GB), Rs42,999 (64GB) & Rs47,999 (128GB)
BUKRq5z.jpg

LG Nexus 5X specifications

• 5.2-inch (1920 x 1080 pixels) Full HD display with Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection
  • Hexa-Core Snapdragon 808 ( 4x 1.44GHz ARM A53 + 2 x 1.8 GHz ARM A57 ) 64-bit processor with Adreno 418 GPU
  • 2GB RAM, 16GB / 32GB internal memory
  • Android 6.0 (Marshmallow)
  • Single nano SIM
  • 12.3MP rear camera with dual-tone LED flash, 1.55 micron sensor, f/2.0 aperture, Laser Auto focus
  • 5MP front-facing camera, f/2.2 aperture
  • Dimensions: 146.9mm x 72.5 x 9.7mm; Weight: 136g
  • 4G LTE / 3G, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n/ac (dual-band), Bluetooth 4.1, GPS, USB Type-C
  • 2700mAh battery

p4TPjJJ.png

Huawei Nexus 6P specifications

• 5.7-inch (2560×1440 pixels) Quad HD AMOLED display with Corning Gorilla Glass 4 protection
  • Octa-Core Snapdragon 810 64-bit processor ( 4x 1.5GHz ARM A53 + 4 x 1.8 GHz ARM A57 ) with Adreno 430 GPU
  • 3GB RAM, 32GB / 64GB / 128GB internal memory
  • Android 6.0 (Marshmallow)
  • Single nano SIM
  • 12.3MP rear camera with LED flash, f/2.0 aperture, 1.55um pixels, smart burst, 4K video recording, slow-motion at 240 fps
  • 8MP front-facing camera, 1.4um pixels
  • Dimensions: 159.4 x 77.8 x 7.3mm; Weight: 178g
  • 3.5mm audio jack, Dual front-facing speakers
  • 4G LTE / 3G, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n/ac (dual-band), Bluetooth 4.1, GPS, USB Type-C
  • 3450mAh battery

Source: Fonearena

* To be available by the end of October in India.

https://store.google.com/product/_chromecast

Last edited:
Google has finally launched the new generation of Nexuses in an event today. Details of the two variants, 5X and 6P, had been leaking left, right and centre over the past couple of weeks, and they have turned out to be true.

5X will be SD 808, 5.2" phone with 2GB RAM, and comes in 16GB or 32GB variant. Display is 1080p IPS LCD. The main camera is a 12.3MP unit, which is said to have larger pixel size in its sensor.

6P will be SD810, 5.7" device with 3GB RAM, and comes in 32GB or 64GB or 128GB versions. Display is QHD AMOLED :)D). Main camera is similar to the 5X. Front cam is 8MP.

Both devices feature larger batteries (2700 mAH for 5X and 3450 mAH for 6P); USB type C connectors with fast charging, fingerprint sensor, front facing loudspeakers, and the usual plethora of connectivity options. Nexus 6P is all-metal build. Both the devices will come loaded with the yet to be released version of Android - Marshmallow.

Pricing:
5X starts at 379$ for the 16GB version. 32GB variant will set you back by 429.99$.
6P will retail at 499$ for the 32GB variant. 64GB version is 549$, and 128GB version is 649$.
Pre-orders start today for people in US and select few other countries.

Google seems to have priced it just right. Let's hope it hits India soon enough.

No expandable mem on the 5x sad. Meaning you are forced to buy the 32gb variant which will cost what 30k?
Was hoping for good pricing, at this rate moto x play seems like the only reasonable one.

Every year it used to be iCrap, this year we have Google crap.
Nexus 5x is disappointing :
2gb ram
16 gb base model??
Same old boring design

In 2015, 64gb should be minimum storage capacity, how much extra does it cost to double the internal storage?
Oneplus two is way better deal.

Why any Nexus 5 owner will upgrade, for 400mah battery & unusually placed fingerprint reader?

no wireless charging which leaves it to usb-c type charging only. means when you are out of juice you are out of it.
True. Wireless charging has become a standard in flagships... almost. I think Google is relying on the larger battery and better battery management features on the M to get you through the day. Still, the convenience a wireless charger offers cannot be overstated.
unusually placed fingerprint reader?
I think we'll have to make that call after we have the device in hand. Huawei already has a few phones with that design, and it doesn't seem that unusual, going by the reviews. How it is implemented, is also going to make a big difference. If it needs a big swipe or a hard tap on the sensor to identify the print, it will be really difficult. I personally feel that Sony's design of using the scanner on the side of the phone, where the thumb usually rests, is the best one.
Google gives 16gb base model with 2GB RAM for android.. Nobody cares..
Apple gives 16gb Base model with 2GB RAM For Ios .. Everybody loses their minds...
Obviously, everyone cares. And that complaint is already making the headlines everywhere on the net. If at all someone doesn't mind, then it is because there is a cheap workarounds to the same - USB OTG. I still feel that 32GB should be the minimum for any device, iOS or otherwise. Increase in camera resolution should proportionately increase the base model storage capacity.

Seems google is now wants to start to make money out of hardware as well similar to apple.
Nothing else can justify these specs and prices.
Infact if you now look at iphone it looks like a much better package overall with apple support being miles better than any of these.
Can't believe iphone 6 looks more vfm than Nexus to me.

True. Wireless charging has become a standard in flagships... almost. I think Google is relying on the larger battery and better battery management features on the M to get you through the day. Still, the convenience a wireless charger offers cannot be overstated.

I think we'll have to make that call after we have the device in hand. Huawei already has a few phones with that design, and it doesn't seem that unusual, going by the reviews. How it is implemented, is also going to make a big difference. If it needs a big swipe or a hard tap on the sensor to identify the print, it will be really difficult. I personally feel that Sony's design of using the scanner on the side of the phone, where the thumb usually rests, is the best one.

Obviously, everyone cares. And that complaint is already making the headlines everywhere on the net. If at all someone doesn't mind, then it is because there is a cheap workarounds to the same - USB OTG. I still feel that 32GB should be the minimum for any device, iOS or otherwise. Increase in camera resolution should proportionately increase the base model storage capacity.
Probably USB C port and wireless charging compatibility hasn't been worked on yet. Glad that 5X offers fast charging. The best iPhone ever, offer Neither, wireless charging or fast charging.

On a serious note, how much does it cost the vendor to double the storage, it should be much below 100$ I guess.

My nexus 5 is going fine, I don't see any reason to upgrade to 5X.

Nothing else can justify these specs and prices.
Well, I think the Android world is spoilt with low cost device manufacturers like Xiaomi and Oneplus. When compared with other manufacturers like Sony and Samsung and LG, I still think Google has priced it right, at least for the 6P.
Can't believe iphone 6 looks more vfm than Nexus to me.
:D To each his own. I can never ever accept a 16GB device with no fast charging, no wireless charging, and no memory expansion option that retails at 60K as a VFM device. Apple can and will continue to demand a huge wallet because there is no other alternative in the iOS world.
how much does it cost the vendor to double the storage, it should be much below 100$ I guess.
Maybe. Samsung charges around 8000 for doubling the internal storage in the Galaxy S6, from 32GB to 64GB. Nexus 6P seems to charge 50$ for doubling the storage, which is quite okay. There's no reason these manufacturer's can't ditch the 16GB variant totally. Not everyone is okay with cloud storage, and cloud storage is still a dream in most parts of the world.

:D To each his own. I can never ever accept a 16GB device with no fast charging, no wireless charging, and no memory expansion option that retails at 60K as a VFM device. Apple can and will continue to demand a huge wallet because there is no other alternative in the iOS world.

Nexus 5x does not have sd card support and wireless charging if i am not wrong,
Recently bought Iphone 6 for 37K which to me is a better choice than 16gb Nexus 5x for 25K.

Well, I think the Android world is spoilt with low cost device manufacturers like Xiaomi and Oneplus. When compared with other manufacturers like Sony and Samsung and LG, I still think Google has priced it right, at least for the 6P.

Maybe. Samsung charges around 8000 for doubling the internal storage in the Galaxy S6, from 32GB to 64GB. Nexus 6P seems to charge 50$ for doubling the storage, which is quite okay. There's no reason these manufacturer's can't ditch the 16GB variant totally. Not everyone is okay with cloud storage, and cloud storage is still a dream in most parts of the world.
So if we calculate per GB cost (like good old days ) for upgrading (with $ to INR conversion) , from base to 32/64gb version.

Samsung : Rs 250/ extra GB - S6
Apple : Rs 210/extra GB - iPhone 6s
Nexus 5X : Rs 206/ extra GB

Nearly comparable upgrade charges but, how much does it actually cost the vendors?

Nexus 5x does not have sd card support and wireless charging if i am not wrong,
Recently bought Iphone 6 for 37K which to me is a better choice than 16gb Nexus 5x for 25K.
True. Nexus 5X does not have either. But it costs much lesser than iPhone 6. Anyway, I was comparing the Nexus 6P with the iPhone 6S. Just now I noticed that you had mentioned the iPhone 6 (and not the iPhone 6S) as a VFM package in your post. :p
BTW, you got a good deal for the iPhone 6. AFAIK, a 16GB version retails around 42K everywhere.

@drkrack :p No real idea.[DOUBLEPOST=1443589966][/DOUBLEPOST]@swatkats :( Disappointed to see the INR prices. Expected something lesser than this. Buying from US through a friend seems to be the better option.

I'm waiting for a price drop on the previous nexus 6 . To me it feels more premium than the new nexus twins .
Of course it lacks a finger print sensor.
If I need that I can try op2 because both the new moto x twins lack the finger print sensor and gyro .
Also to me the previous moto x (2014) seemed more premium than the current x play/style twins .

I'm waiting for a price drop on the previous nexus 6 . To me it feels more premium than the new nexus twins .
Of course it lacks a finger print sensor.
If I need that I can try op2 because both the new moto x twins lack the finger print sensor and gyro .
Also to me the previous moto x (2014) seemed more premium than the current x play/style twins .
24kish is sweet spot for N6

Back