Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Present one is enough..1TB, 10mbps later

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • 2TB limit, No post FUP data!

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

swatkats

Skilled
Hyderabad has joined a select club of cities, which have access to internet speed of as much as 1giga bits per second.

ACT Fibernet, India’s third-largest internet service provider, on Thursday said that it has introduced 1Gbps (Giga speeds) wired broadband internet service in Hyderabad, making it the first city in India to offer such a service.

“Very few cities across the world can boast as being giga-enabled, certainly not at this scale. This launch places Hyderabad in league of select cities in the world that can boast of such futuristic technology. Giga speeds will allow downloads from the internet faster than transferring data from a USB drive,” Bala Malladi, chief executive officer, ACT Fibernet, said in a telephone phone interview.

Plan cost: ₹5999; FUP: 1TB Upload and 1TB Download.

Source:
http://www.livemint.com/Politics/eX...ong-Kong-Singapore-Seoul-among-Gigaenabl.html

ACT-1Gbps-plan-Hyderabad.jpg

Last edited:
They're asking ₹5.5/GB for providing 1Gbps speeds, which is indeed possible and feasible. They're already providing 100mbps and people who are on that plan are getting real speeds. Ask @Lord Nemesis

Not doubting 100 mbps speeds, but moving to 1 gbps is a big leap. Would love to see real world speed test results when they go live.

The prices for 1Gbps will fall after Jio's entry. Never thought per GB cost will fall this low at gigabit speeds. Also, International bandwidth have also fell down.

Apparently they'll install a new CPE inside premises and pull a fiber which is connected to a Gigabit router.

Price incl taxes = ₹6900
Installation = ₹5000

Total : 12,000 (approx)

Wish they'd launch this in November itself, I'd take this without hesitation. :D

For 100mbps they offer 400GB, then they should at least give 3TB FUP for 1Gbps.
To make you understand, providing 100mbps and 1000mbps is just the same for the company except for some extra 4-5% cost to the company.

So technically a GB costs the same or you may add 50p/GB extra. You simply cannot demand more basing on some plan allotment.

The data caps for 1Gbps is 1TB upload and 1TB download. Technically 2TB FUP if you by the likes of Chortel or Bsnl.

What they did was magnificent, but no household can afford this plan. According to CEO, Only 14% of the customer base is in the 1050-1999 plans.
CEO also said 1 TB of FUP may appear huge, but "if you have one or two teenagers in your house, they will easily eat up the bandwidth."

So they know it!

To make you understand, providing 100mbps and 1000mbps is just the same for the company except for some extra 4-5% cost to the company.

So technically a GB costs the same or you may add 50p/GB extra. You simply cannot demand more basing on some plan allotment.

The data caps for 1Gbps is 1TB upload and 1TB download. Technically 2TB FUP if you by the likes of Chortel or Bsnl.

What they did was magnificent, but no household can afford this plan. According to CEO, Only 14% of the customer base is in the 1050-1999 plans.
CEO also said 1 TB of FUP may appear huge, but "if you have one or two teenagers in your house, they will easily eat up the bandwidth."

So they know it!
Understood, but I'm already eating up my 400GB @ 100mbps :(, 1TB @ 1Gbps is still little less even if only few can afford it. o_O

Hyderabad is so blessed. Also, I think 1TB is a very decent (2TB would have been perfect) FUP, given at those speeds I understand if power users exhaust it much earlier.

How do you guys eat up 400GB? Even if you download a couple games a month, you shouldn't cross 200GB, what is the primary bandwidth consumption for you guys?

Wow, in like last 3 years we went from starving for internet to Beating the crap out of murcia, I thought my 50mbps 1800 fupless plan beat comcast but this is next level

South Korean has the lowest internet cost in the world, gigabit for $25, hopefully we will beat them someday.

What I would like to see is the real "internet" speed via global speedtests. Not just 1 gbps "up to the ISP node" and local speedtest.

Exactly.

They're already providing 100mbps and people who are on that plan are getting real speeds. Ask @Lord Nemesis

I have never experienced speeds more than 30~40mbps on my 75mbps plan, to any server other than my ISP's.
I have complained a couple of times when I would get only 5~8mbps speeds on the weekends. The usual excuse would be speeds are slow due to huge traffic during weekends or they would tell me that advertised speeds are only to ACT servers and not others.

But this gigabyte is a huge leap. Hope to see it soon in Bangalore too.
Are they going to use gigabyte LAN cables from the building's router to the houses or are they planning on fibre optic cables for that too?

Hyderabad is so blessed. Also, I think 1TB is a very decent (2TB would have been perfect) FUP, given at those speeds I understand if power users exhaust it much earlier.

How do you guys eat up 400GB? Even if you download a couple games a month, you shouldn't cross 200GB, what is the primary bandwidth consumption for you guys?
Streaming media downloads multiple devices etcetc i hit a tb every month

Streaming media downloads multiple devices etcetc i hit a tb every month
I'm still in that YTS or 2.65 rips era. So even 150Gb is turning out to be enough. But if properly streamed BLU RAY stuff these 1TB limits are nothing.

I think even BSNL offers 2TB FUP for 4999 in nagpur, so definitely ACT can also offer 2TB caps. That's why that option in the poll.

I'm still in that YTS or 2.65 rips era. So even 150Gb is turning out to be enough. But if properly streamed BLU RAY stuff these 1TB limits are nothing.

I think even BSNL offers 2TB FUP for 4999 in nagpur, so definitely ACT can also offer 2TB caps. That's why that option in the poll.
Well since i have no fup i download the highest quality stuff ... But yes i can tone down a bit if reqd

Back