Graphic Cards GFX card within 20k budget

Kilroyquasar

4 seconds, inhale; 4 seconds, exhale.
Skilled
(posting on behalf of a friend)

Hello!

a friend needs a GFX card for gaming. should be able to run the latest games in HD at max. settings. PC specs:

- CPU is FX8120
- RAM is 8GB

sorry, don't know about his motherboard and PSU details. have asked him and would write back after receiving his reply.
he has a GTX 550 Ti card presently, which he would sell off.

budget is strictly 20k.

TIA!

Gtx 760 striker or Dc II from asus any time ! Else 280x from amd if in budget !

thanks! i was just going through the thread on the new series of radeon cards (looks like the performance is disappointing). r9 370x would be better than r9 380x?!

thanks! i was just going through the thread on the new series of radeon cards (looks like the performance is disappointing). r9 370x would be better than r9 380x?!
Real time performance vary depending on components in pc !

On paper 370x < 380x

Or if you were talking about 370x & 280x then its all on money you can actually put it [emoji23]

r9 370x would be better than r9 380x?!
the 370 is based off the 270 and has far fewer sp's so it's much slower. in fact- i would remove the 370 from the possible options as a gtx 960 can be had for only 2-3k more and is much faster.
also ignore the 380 as it's the 285 and not fully unlocked tonga and performs only a slightly better than a 280. the 280x still outperforms all 3.
Please note that only the 'non-x' versions of the 300 series is out. not sure what the 'x' versions of these cards will be like but doubt if it will be anything worth waiting for.
a new gtx 970 can be had for 25k sometimes so if there's a sale or you're friend has a coupon or something he might be able to bag one within budget but it's a long shot

since there is a strict 20k limit i would suggest a gtx 960 with the biggest factory oc and heatsink - like an evga superclocked or zotac extreme amp omega long-a$$-name edition.
also, what psu is you're friend running on? if it's under 500 watts then the 280x might be out.

thanks for the replies!

@Crapmypants - he has Corsair CX600 as the PSU. so finally its down to GTX 960 v/s R9 280x i suppose (provided he can get the 280x for under 20k locally)?!

Last edited:
said friend purchased asus gtx 960 strix (2gb). i would've liked him to purchase the 4gb version though.

960 is a very poor price/performance card. A 280X or 285 is far better at 20k'ish prices. The green team is interesting only from the 970 onwards. Also the 750Ti is a unique product. Beyond those cards, I'd buy an AMD at any other price point.

thanks @Chaos! but i don't think anymore that he would be able to purchase the r9 280x, as he told today me that his budget originally was not even 20k but 18k. so either 4gb gtx 960 it was, or the 2gb one.

@nofate202 - do let us know if your budget can somehow break the barrier. else, happy gaming on the strix 2gb! ;)

Back