CPU/Mobo Getting a CPU from the US

kyvivek

Disciple
My friend's relatives will be coming down next month from the US and I'm considering asking them to carry an i7 7700K and probably a couple case fans with them. I realize that I'll have to forego the warranty and I'm okay with that. So, will they have to pay customs at Chennai Airport if the boxes are sealed? If so, would it be okay if they dump the boxes and claim that these are used parts? If anyone who has some experience with this could shed some light, it'd be appreciated.

PS: I apologize if this is the wrong section, figured that the people here would have the most knowledge about such a thing.

I believe the 7700k does not come with a cooler, so they can open the box, and put in a different box and bring it?

Customs will be a hit and miss, depends on what they are getting themselves.

I had bought a CPU couple of years back from US through Chennai airport. The custom did ask the content and I told them it is used CPU (It was). They let it go. Also during visit to US I used to bring 2 or 3 laptops and I did not face any issues with customs.

I had asked my tenant to get me a 6600K, he bought it with the seal intact. Its a small box, they would generally not bother about it. Its your luck either. Avoid getting CPU coolers.

I have imported CPUs, GPUs, Ram sticks and motherboards a couple times, never had trouble with Chennai customs. I did have to pay additional baggage once which dented to ROI of purchasing stuff from the US. Unless the folks are carrying a whole lot of other new electronic equipment, you should be fine.

Back